Literature Discussion Thread 📚

Well, just like most of Chekhov’s stories, these are just “a moment from the lives of the characters” and the reality of both situations is something that always gets me thinking. A lot of people have been through either (or both) of those situations, and it just shows how messed up life can be sometimes. These are things that happen, things that have happened for over two centuries, this is the reality we live in.

2 Likes

Good morning/afternoon/evening all around the world.
I’m obssesed with Jojo Moyes’ books. Me Before You is absolutely perfection love-drama story with sad end (maybe for you it’s not sad, I’m a weeper so you know).
The Great Gatsby from Fitzgerald is my favourite. I love everything about the decade it is placed in.
I’m looking forward to read The Shape Of Water. I have it already ordered in my home language.
The crime season from Jo Nesbo is full of adrenaline and you have to think who has done it. I really recommend it!

1 Like

Ever read any of Fitzgerald’s other books?

Not yet. I have to find a time to read, but I’ll definitely read it some day.

They’re really worth it! I like Gatsby but actually think it’s his least interesting book. I highly recommend “This Side of Paradise” it’s full of a lot of life! :dancer:t2:

I’ll remember that. Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

I suppose it shows how light life can be also, or argues for how joy and pain connect. That life is essentially melancholy means that innocence is always endangered, but also that danger itself is always under threat by innocence. There’s bitter in the sweet, sweet in the bitter. What do you think?

Agreed, I believe that “Oysters” specially shows that connection of bitterness and sweetness, ever from the moment the main character is imagining how oysters are to the end of the story you can see the bittersweetness of it all. And when you compare it with “Children” you see it more clearly.

1 Like

This is one of my favorite parts of Moby Dick. It is from near the end of Chapter 135.

“Stand not by me, but stand under me, whoever you are that will now help Stubb; for Stubb, too, sticks here. I grin at thee, thou grinning whale! Who ever helped Stubb, or kept Stubb awake, but Stubb’s own unwinking eye? And now poor Stubb goes to bed upon a mattrass that is all too soft; would it were stuffed with brushwood! I grin at thee, thou grinning whale! Look ye, sun, moon, and stars! I call ye assassins of as good a fellow as ever spouted up his ghost. For all that, I would yet ring glasses with ye, would ye but hand the cup! Oh, oh! oh, oh! thou grinning whale, but there’ll be plenty of gulping soon! Why fly ye not, O Ahab! For me, off shoes and jacket to it; let Stubb die in his drawers! A most mouldy and over salted death, though; - cherries! cherries! cherries! Oh, Flask, for one red cherry ere we die!”

2 Likes

Heck ya that’s some writing! What do you like about this passage?

It is absolutely hilarious. Stubb is definitely my favorite character.

Here’s a list of some of my fave books (get ready for some cheesy, middle school books loll, Ive also tried to choose books that haven’t already been mentioned) :

• ANYTHING by Agatha Christie
    This not an actual title, I just truly love AC and everything she puts out is awesome. More specifically, her Poriot series.

• Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See
    It was a gift from a friend so I probably would’ve never picked it up myself. But a great read. It takes place in nineteenth-century China, when foot-binding was a right of passage for little girls who’s, worth was measured by what kind of husband they would marry. It follows the life story of Lily. Beautifully written.

• Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
    During the Mexican Revolution, there exists a household consisting of only women who end up having revolutions of their own. Due to a long-standing tradition, Tita is condmend from the moment she’s born, to never marry or have a family of her own. This book is her life story combined with special recipes that hold essential memories. Very juicy love story

• The Grip of It by Jac Jemc
    A couple move into a suburban home, after going through complications in the city. Slowly, some things in the house start to come alive and other things start to die. The author keeps you guessing. You’re not sure what’s worse, the haunting house or the toxic relationship. Short read.

Honorable mentions:
-The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
-Tangerine by Edward Bloor
-Walking Two Moons by Sharon Creech
-Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
-The Pearl by John Steinbeck
-Animal Farm by George Orwell
-The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
-The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

2 Likes

I always loved “Like Water for Chocolate”. It truly understands that the anatomical organ that should be associated with Love is the stomach, not the heart :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! And the emotions are so raw.

Ever read any other Steinbeck beyond “The Pearl”?

@Annieways I loved 1984! I read it back in the high school. I really enjoyed how the plot unfolded itself in that one.

Never read Animal Farm, though. Is it as good?

I’ve read Of Mice and Men and Tortilla Flat

1 Like

Thoughts on either of them? Steinbeck used to my jam!

@Annieways @Lemniscate Any 1984 fans ever give “Brave New World” a read?

Tortilla Flat was definitely my fav out of the two

My parents were born in that kind of environment, where the simplest things like a vacuum or a small house can be treasures.

Just read 1984 last year but I haven’t read Brave New World

I love the characters in Tortilla Flat so much, Steinbeck’s update of the Knights of the Round Table :slight_smile:

And to anyone who likes 1984 I definitely recommend Brave New World! In my opinion it’s a much more interesting and effective portrayal of a dystopia. Specifically because in 1984 everyone living in a dystopia is miserable, whereas in Brave New World, it’s a soulless world, but everyone loves it.