Long or short chapters?

Hii! So a few people who read my story, told me that the chapters are too short (about 5 minutes read time). So I’m not sure if I should make them longer. What would you do?

• Make the chapers longer
  • Leave them like this

0 voters

Thanks for voting! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My episodes are 15-20 mins long and I get complaints they are too long. Lol

2 Likes

People have said to me that my chapters are too short too, but write as much as you want because it’s your story and you should write because you think it’s fun, not because someone tells you to do it.
But i understand you it’s not fun when someone give you a comment like that…

How many lines are your chapters?

2 Likes

Thank you two for the feedback. :two_hearts: My chapters have about 300-400 lines :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And how many chapters have you published?

1 Like

7 so far.

1 Like

Okay! :relaxed: Maybe you can just make them a little longer not much, but just a little.
Maybe 500 - 600 lines? :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’ll try that. Thanks :relaxed::heartbeat:

1 Like

:relaxed: :heartbeat:

1 Like

In my story first 6 chapters are like 600 - 900 then 7th and so on they are 1400 - 2000 lines.

It doesn’t really matter how long the chapters are I know many authors who have short chapters and they are getting complaints about it but I read them anyway cuz they’re amazing no matter what. You write the way you want. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally, I think five minutes is too short.
I don’t like like long chapters, but I rather read around 10-15 minutes. five minutes is a waste of passes and frankly, that would p me off lol.

2 Likes

I voted for longer chapters because most of the readers prefer this. I personally think 5 minutes can be enough if the chapters are dynamic and there is enough “action”, but many readers wouldn’t agree with me. Also, the 300-400 lines you mentioned, is it only dialogues?

2 Likes

No, it’s not only dialogue. :see_no_evil:

If it includes directing, that’s probably much less than 5 minutes of read time. As far as I know 400 lines is the minimum to publish, but that, even with basic directing, won’t be longer than 2 minutes. I would definitely suggest you to try writing longer chapters. At the beggining you may find it hard, but it becomes more and more easy with time. I’m speaking from experience :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hit me with them long ass chapters, please. If the story is engaging enough, a 20-30 minute chapter may feel as if it were only 10 minutes long.

1 Like

5 minutes is too short, but, in my opinion, anything over 20 minutes is too long - depending on how good the story is.

I’d say 10-15 minutes.

2 Likes

Ha ha I prefer short chapters lol :joy: @Annieways I agree, people are going to complain so it’s best to have chapters that are at least 10 minutes. Time it by reading it, not just depending on the number of lines though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.