Luna's honest reviews!

Hello Elizabeth!
Thank you! That made me very happy :blush:
I currently have 14 stories on my review list, so it might take some time. I am however, open for more stories and would love to review yours!
Don’t worry, I understand that it might be hard to expose your story like that.
I’ll pm you the review if you want me to. :heart:

:gem: Gem story!

Hello S_Unique! :heart:

My review of “The Four Horsemen” is finished.

First impression:
Your title, cover and description really intrigued me. Combined they gave me a clear impression of what the story would be about, and I loved the originality of the concept. The splashes were amazing, and I like that you informed the reader that you had a point system. It made me excited. Your intro is just absolutely breath-taking.

What an epic beginning:

IMG_0713

The story about how Lucifer fell from heaven, all the different amazing backgrounds you used and how you cut to John laying in the grass looking up to the sky and introducing himself and how he lived was just perfect.

Characters:
You had a lot of characters, and each and one of them had their own personality, there was diversity and most of them even had their own backstory! This is very rare on episode. Some of the characters and relationships were developed so incredibly well, that it took me completely by surprise.
I love how you had two main characters. It was very interesting being a boy for once, especially being John. My god, what an amazing character. I rarely find a connection with the MC like I did with him. His kindness, courage, depth and his way of seeing through people made me fall in love with him just a little bit. Delilah is such an interesting and mysterious girl, and I love how you constantly let us find a little bit more about her. She can stand up for herself, she is fair and has this depth and pain to her that I feel you reached me with.
I love the mystery and passion surrounding their relationship.
It would be impossible for me to talk about every single character as you have a lot of them, so I will be talking about them in groups.
First of all, the angels… Both fallen and remaining. You have actually given each and one of them their own goals, backstory, ability, strengths and weaknesses and different relationships with each other. And then, different groups with different world views and rivalry between each other. And you could in many ways understand both sides. Honestly, this is in my opinion the most brilliant about your story.
You even gave John’s best friend a complicated personality with realistic flaws and strengths.
I do think Lucifer and Constantine, at times, are a bit unrealistically one sided though. Like this I feel, broke the flow of the story a bit:

IMG_0752

I wish you could bring more depth to them, but then again, I don’t know how the story will progress.

Narration:
You had an amazing flow in your narrations. Especially considering that English is not your first language. An example is in the beginning of the story when John is laying in the grass looking up to the sky thinking:

IMG_0715

Narration like this tend to get pretty cliché, but in your case, it didn’t feel like that at all. It was poetic and beautiful. You also used a lot of complicated words, which I like.
Your overall conversations and reactions were very natural to me. Good job.
You had some mistakes that feel could have been avoided. Not necessarily grammar mistakes, but words you wrote wrong that gives the sentence a new meaning. Like for example using “hole” instead of “whole” or “then” instead of “than”.
I have to add, that in the graveyard scene where John said to Delilah, something like: “I know that your hair smells like lemons and your skin like honey, yet I’ve never been near you enough to be able to know that”, gave me the chills. It must be hard to have the love of your life erased from your memory. Poor John and Delilah.

Directing:
Generally, your story had ok directing, but there were also some mistakes. Sometimes, when characters move to a different spot far away, they walk superfast! This tend to look a bit weird. Be sure to time their walk like this: @JOHN walks to spot 0.678 67 89 in 5.
The transitions were a bit unrefined sometimes as well. When you go to another scene, make sure that people have the proper facial expressions right away.
God is always facing left even though he is talking to somebody stand to the right.
The most noticeable though, are your speech bubbles! They are almost always pointed in a certain direction, so it doesn’t look like it’s coming from the person it’s supposed to.

IMG_0727

I noticed one scene with some layer issues, where John should be behind a person.

IMG_0720

I would also recommend you making the angel-statue into an overlay, so it doesn’t look weird. If you don’t know how to do that, I would be happy to help.
Your zooming is good, but it would be even better if you had more up-close shots of people when they are talking. It tends to give this amazing natural feeling. Your spotting and animations were very well done, and I love that you had many choices and used a point system.
Johns flashback when he realizes that delilah is Death is very well directed by the way.

Plot:
I love your plot. It is original, creative and has this underlying mystery that I can’t get enough of. I always love it when an author manages to create their own world and portray it well enough, so the reader gets dragged into the world with them. If that makes any sense? Either way, that’s what I felt happening to me.
You explained everyone’s reason to be banned from heaven, and I loved how well thought out each story was.
The “mithril” idea, was pretty genius, and I’m looking forward to seeing how it develops.
I just have to add that I love the little side story about William loving, and sacrificing himself for Hana. Beautiful.
Everything in your plot is justified. Even the burglar who killed John:

IMG_0761

Amazing plot twists and cliff-hangers in the end of each episode.

X factor:
You didn’t have any music or sound effects! I really wish you did as I feel it would have a great impact on the story. Your backgrounds were amazing, and I love how you credited your artists so clearly. Good use of filter and text effects. Love the “halo” overlay on God.
There wasn’t a lot of humour in this story, but I can understand that, as it has a very serious tone to it.

Overall thoughts:
You managed to create this depth to your plot, that I rarely see in episode stories. I felt really invested the whole time and I get his underlying feel of nostalgia, passion and forbidden love, that I surprisingly found myself loving.
The characters were amazing, especially the fact that we got to know the backstory of many of them, this early on. You have actually given each and one of them their own goals, backstory, ability, strengths and weaknesses and different relationships with each other.
I loved the rivalry inside the group of fallen angels, but also between the horsemen and God. Each group had their own “political” view on the world, and we could to a certain degree understand all sides.
The main characters were interesting and well developed, and each role had a purpose.
You had some directing mistakes, and I wish you would use music, but to be honest… The plot, narration, character development and suspense are so great that it fades away the rest.
You did this smart trick where you don’t let us know everything straight away but manage to release information bit by bit to hook the reader.
In other words, there are still a lot of unanswered questions that I’m looking forward to figuring out through this story.
A beautiful story that I recommend and will continue reading!

Final score:

:scream::scream::scream: thank you so much for this review. I’m really glad you liked it. I haven’t really gotten myself to learn how to use sound but I’ve been meaning to do that so eventually I’ll probably add it. Thank you for letting me know about the speech bubbles, I’ve gone back and fixed many of them but apparently not all :confused: and thank for letting me know about the layer in that scene I did not notice it and I’ll probably change the scene like you said to make that overlay.:blush: thank you so much for taking the time to review my story.:kissing_heart::heart:

It was honestly such a pleassure! :heart:
I’m happy that you found my review usefull!
I absolutely loved your story and I’m looking forward to continue reading it! :grin: Go you!

I hope you enjoy the rest.:heart_eyes:

Title: Hunt or get hunted

Author: owlquest

Genre: Adventure

Cover:

Description: The darkness will overcome the light in the end of the day. But will you survive or drown with the other monsters that is lurking in the shadows?

What made you write your story?: Life, really. I needed an escape and episode was there. My story is actually based on my own life, fantasy and a story I wrote 5 years ago.

What are you confident about in your story? I’m confident on the plot and how the story is evolving.

What are you not so confident about in your story?
The grammar! English is not my first language.
Ammount of episodes: 3 please!

And final notes:

• I made all the art myself. (covers and artscenes in chapter 6)
  • English is not my native language.
  • This is my first story.

Thank you for this thread! :grin:

Thank you Luna!
Well there are two stories I would like you to review :sweat_smile: haha one I don’t mind being public but the other needs serious work and that’s the one that I would like private.
So if you’re still accepting new stories to review I’ll fill out the form!
And of course take your time I’m in no rush haha
Looking forward to hearing from you! :relaxed:

Title: Out of Control

Author: Elizabeth

Genre: Thriller/drama

Cover:

Description: App description: You suspect that your husband is cheating, but are you prepared for what happens next?

A young woman’s life is turned upside down when she discovers an earring in her husband’s car, and it leads her down a path she never would have imagined.

(I don’t know which description is catchier haha)

What made you write your story?:

I wanted to write this story because I am kind of a true crime junkie lol I love those types of stories so I wanted to create something like that, that you could read in 45 minutes or so (like a TV episode) and it would have a similar feel to one of those shows.

What are you confident about in your story?

I’m mostly confident with the grammar and language, I don’t think I should have too many mistakes! I also think people will enjoy the full character customization.

What are you not so confident about in your story?

• Pacing: I’m afraid it’s too slow or too fast
  • Believability: like i said before I wanted the story to be like one of those tv episodes so of course there can be some cheesy parts but overall I wanted it to be mostly believable
  • Hayes: I decided to make him a love interest because everything has to has a love interest on this app it seems, and I thought maybe more readers would enjoy that, but I think it feels a little forced.

Amount of episodes: There are only 4 episodes in the story and it is complete, but if you can only review the first 3 I understand.

And final notes:

• I feel like I kind of suck at directing haha so if you see any parts where there’s clearly a missed opportunity with the directing please let me know!

• I didn’t include music or sound, but let me know if you think that would add anything to the story!

• I also forgot to mention you see “My Nightmare” on the cover because I wanted to keep the option open to pretend that that was the show in case I made any different stories for this category

Ooo this sounds really interesting! :flushed: Is this the story you want private?
The fact that you already see some of your own mistakes and are willing to try something new, makes me very excited!
Looking forward to reviewing it. :blush:

Nope, that’s the one I don’t mind being public! Haha I just have to warn you episode one is pretty weak… so feel free to tear it apart :joy:

Title: Villainous Heroes

Author: Lyra Keiken

Genre: Fantasy

Cover:
Small Cover:

Large Cover:

Description: Superheroes are real. Your best friend is missing. Your ex is sleeping with your friend. And to top it all off? You have a week to pay $1000 or you’re evicted.

What made you write your story?: I absolutely love superhero stories, and there is a severe lack of them on episode that I can find. So, I thought I may as well write what I’d want to read.

What are you confident about in your story? The special effects for sure! I’m very proud of the overlays and zooms.

What are you not so confident about in your story? The believability of the relationships between certain characters, namely the friendships.

Ammount of episodes: I’d love for you to read all three, however I’d understand if you choose not to go any further than the first episode as reviewing is a super busy job.

And final notes: This is my first story so I hope it’s a good one. Thank you! (Also, I’m waiting for the covers to be approved in-app still).

Title: Through his eyes

Author: Nelles

Genre: Drama/ Romance

Cover:

Description:
As a young writer you find inspiration in an unexpected place. When your book becomes a movie, you’ll have to choose: lie to the man of your dreams or risk losing everything?

What made you write your story?: I have had this story in my head for years and recently a second story- layer occurred to me. I really wanted to see it visualised.

What are you confident about in your story? I gave the overlays and outfits a lot of attention!

What are you not so confident about in your story? I’m afraid the double layer story is confusing. I’m also not sure about the balance of drama/ romance and I tried to put some humour in it, too.

Ammount of episodes: 3, please

And final notes:

Thank you very much for your review, it will be much appreciated. I’d love to have a detailed review before i publish :heart:

Hello @LunaWinter my angel,

I am going to be making some major changes to the first and second episode today. I will notify you when these changes are done (relatively quick fixes but are important to the story).

UPDATE:

These changes are now live, thank you.

Hey! Thanks for creating this thread!
Story title: Let the demon inside
Author: Nierido
Genre: Supernatural romance

Description: You have to move back to Dimwood. What will you find there? Love, death or supernatural friends?
What made me write my story: I dont know actually. I read a ton of stories on Episode app and I thought why dont I try to make something fantastical ?
What I am confident about: coding
What I am not confident about: language
Number of episodes:3
Notes: This is my first story and English isn`t my first language.I tried ti do my best, hope you will enjoy reading.
Link:http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4876381520789504

Thank you for letting me know!

And also, for being patient. I know you have waited for a long time.
I must say that your intro is one of the most hilarious ones I’ve seen in a long time! :joy:

Your review will be finished by Monday! :heart:

Ah haha - thank you so much and no problem - take all the time you need :purple_heart::purple_heart:

Title: My Best Friend

Author: Eliza Core

Genre: Romance

Cover:

Description: Episode Description: A story of best friends Larsen and Cameron. What happens when feelings resurface and hormones are raging? Follow them on their journey of love, life and lust.
What I feel you may need to know is that my story is more of a narrative rather than the typical choices.
What made you write your story?: I loved reading on the episode app and I’ve always wanted to write. S, I thought, why not go for it!

What are you confident about in your story? I am confident about the chemistry between my two main characters.

What are you not so confident about in your story?: Character development.

Amount of episodes and how many you want me to review?: 3 if possible please :slight_smile:

And final notes: Is there anything I should know?:
This is my first ever written story and first ever episode story.

Hello Luna,

Just to notify you again I have made further adjustments to the first and second episode - I have added more dialogue in so hopefully the overall character aspect of my story has improved.

Title: Thriller: Tribe of Malapinchi
Author: Jannah Jackson
Genre: Thriller/Fantasy/Mystery
Cover:
Tribe%20of%20Malapinchi%20Cover%202

Description: Toss into a land of the sun, magic, lies and dark secrets. Can you make sense of the havoc you were tossed into and save everyone before it’s too late? CharacterCustomization
** What are you confident about in your story?** : The Originality, Diversity and a lot of interesting advanced directing techniques despite being a newbie. No romance.
What are you not so confident about in your story? : Coming up with the plot beforehand. My ideas keep changing. Mostly because I keep doubting myself.
** Amount of episodes to review:** : 3
Is there anything that you should be aware? :
Is my second time publishing a story and first time entering an Episode contest for it (Thriller Contest thus only 5 chapters). Oh yes, caution on the unique and difficult names. They are mostly traditional Asian names from various cultures thus it might be difficult to understand and remember but it has significance. All the tribe people’s names are related to the Sun and Light except a few. The tribe also consists of different coloured people to enhance my meaning of diversity. The tribe is fictitious but inspired by various sources. Some of the languages are in Sumerian, Sanskrit and Babylonian. A little ironic given the story is taken place in East South East Asia.
Inspired from : First, the myths, legends, folktales and lores of the different cultures of Asia (Malay, Chinese, Indian, Thailand and more). Second, the stories of my grandmother when she was a child during the Japanese Occupation in WWII and how she was saved. Third, the cartoon series “Avatar The Last Airbender”. Fourth, the sun worshippers in Peru, South America and other similar cultures. Fifth, the lessons at my school: Social Studies, History and Geography. Last, my own homeland: Singapore & Hometown & nearby island of Sentosa(previously known as Pulau Belakang Mati).
Story style: All the 3 episode characters types: LIMELIGHT, INK & Classic
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5909308359180288

Hi @LunaWinter!

I’d really love to get some constructive criticism reagrding my new story! Please see bleow the details.

Title: Thriller: a hell of a story

Author: Pencil Drew

Genre: Thriller

Cover:
poster%20for%20episode

Description: This is a short noir thriller, which is set in 1952. Chicago is plagued by a serial killer. When Anna, a successful lawyer, is approached by a famous actor suspected of murders, the case seems like an easy win, until she discovers some shocking facts that not only make her doubt his innocence, but lead her to believe that she might be the next victim. Is he really guilty? Will Anna be able to stop him?

What made you write your story?: I’m a long time reader. I got a little tired of typical featured stories about high school crushes and thought that I might try creating something different for more mature audience.

What are you confident about in your story?: I like fighting scenes.

What are you not so confident about in your story? Some people might dislike whole 1950s entourage. Furthermore, I tried to make this story as short as possible (because of Thriller contest requirements), so I fear that plot might be a bit rushed.

Ammount of episodes: 3 episodes (complete story). They are rather short, so I hope they won’t take much of your time.

And final notes:

• I made all the art myself.