Make Your Character Interesting! Exercises!

I am so sick of two-dimensional characters on Episode and I am here to help you remedy your 2D characters! Of course, I will never be better than my favourite planning website notebook.ai, but I’ll try my best to give you something fun that will help you grow your characters:

Rules: Do this for your protagonist first and foremost. I wanna see some MC action. Then, if you’re bored or you really liked this little quiz, do it for LI and best friends. PLEASE WRITE WHAT KIND OF CHARACTER THEY ARE (MC, LI, Best Friend, etc)

BIG CHALLENGE: Try filling these questions out for the mean girl or villain in your story. It will make them 1000x more interesting

1. Favourite colour?
  2. Favourite food?
  3. Biggest fear?
  4. Fondest memory?
  5. Worst memory?
  6. The part they most like about themselves?
  7. The part they least like about themselves?
  8. Sexuality?
  9. Parents’ names?
  10. Biggest motivation in your story?
  11. What makes them really angry?
  12. What makes them cry?
  13. Favourite person?
  14. Biggest flaw?
  15. Biggest struggle in your story?
  16. Most annoying quality?
  17. Most endearing quality?
  18. What makes them different/special?
  19. What purpose do they serve in the story?
  20. Why did you write them?

Good luck!

This has become more than one exercise, so I’m going to list them below as we go on! Make sure you name the exercise you’re doing!

1. Object + Emotion Exercise.
  2. Scenario Exercise
27 Likes

Challenge accepted :crazy_face:
I’m writing these answers from his perspective. Meet Aiden, the villain in Maternal Instincts.

1. Favourite colour? Green
2. Favourite food? Burgers
3. Biggest fear? Being alone.
4. Fondest memory? Being at the beach with my parents when they were together.
5. Worst memory? When my dad walked out on us. Also, the first time I came home and saw my mum passed out drunk.
6. The part they most like about themselves? What’s not to like? My abs I guess. I don’t work out for nothing.
7. The part they least like about themselves? My parents, especially my dad and also the fact that I can’t stop giving a sh*t about them despite how they neglected me. Physically? I’m practically perfect.
8. Sexuality? Straight.
9. Parent’s names? Dave and Karen (I think?! blegh I forgot and the parents did actually have names in the story lol)
10. Biggest motivation in your story? To get back the love of my life.
11. What makes them really angry? Being disobeyed and when things don’t go my way.
12. What makes them cry? I cried when my dad left me. I learned to toughen up. No one cries for me so why should I cry?
13. Favourite person? Vee, my Vee.
14. Biggest flaw? I’m perfect. I guess the fact that I care too much and love too hard.
15. Biggest struggle in your story? Having to win back the love of my life and keep her to myself until she remembers how much she loves me.
16. Most annoying quality? Annoying? I’m not annoying. ((I think in a way, that actually answers the question lol))
17. Most endearing quality? People tell me that I’m very charismatic. I’m good at getting what I want. I like to think I can charm almost anyone.
18. What makes them different/special? Stupid question, just look at me. I’m willing to do anything it takes to win back the love of my life. I don’t even know why she would leave me in the first place.
19. What purpose do they serve in the story? This basically is my story. It’s about me trying to win back the love of my life.
20. Why did you write them? Elise wrote me because I’m awesome, obviously, and there wouldn’t be a story without me.

Lol, as you can tell this character is a giant narcissist. But as well as being the villain, he’s definitely a main character, not just a side character thrown in for drama.

10 Likes

MC/ not an episode story but whatev xD

1: Yellow
2: Cheesecake
3: losing control of his magic again
4: his wedding day
5:
6: effortlessly stylishish but messy hair
7: nasty scar on his right cheek
8: straight as a board
9: Mannes and Sara Tiko
10: To find his father and defeat whatever it is that managed to overpower him
11: people who boast about their swordplay skills
12: grief, worry (about family members) chopping onions
13: his wife, Katy
14: he’s very emotionally driven, rash and foolhardy
15:
16: he has serious difficulty with eye contact
17: he’s shy but very genuine and polite
18: he has a level of determination that few can muster. He can also rally people effectively
19: he’s a major factor in the world of the story in many ways, though his purpose as main character is to be the instigating factor or simply be involved in as many insane adventures as possible.
20: originally he was an author insert nonsense power fantasy but eventually he became just kind of a person in this world who winds up embroiled in a lot of crap despite being less outwardly ‘gifted’ or ‘special’ than his close peers. Something to aspire to be, rather than pretend to

6 Likes

[5 and 15 were redacted due to heavy spoilerinos that would ruin later plot arcs of Kito]

3 Likes

Side note: I found 4 way more difficult than I should have

5 Likes

Shanii, you are on fire today. I really need this right now, so here, meet my baby! He is one of the many MC’s in my only story, which is unpublished.

Trent Cresswell

1) Favourite colour: Red.
2) Favourite food: He despises food (for now), but he is a sucker for anything sweet. He is the walking essence of “I am just here for the cake”.
3) Biggest fear: Becoming totally estranged from his family.
4) Fondest memory: A few, but here are two of them: Julia, his sister, helping him read/study, and the day his decesead grandmother told him how much she loves him and why.
5) Worst memory: So many, but I guess the time his grandfather pointed a gun at him must take the cake.
6) The part they most like about themselves: …Trent hates himself, but no one knows and no one will.
7) The part they least like about themselves: …Again, Trent hates himself, but no one knows and no one will.
8) Sexuality: Heterosexual.
9) Parents name: Courtney and Cameron Cresswell.
10) Biggest motivation: Family > everything
11) What makes him really angry: …Nearly everything, but being ignored unleashes his worst side.
12) What makes him cry?: Rejection from those he loves. But he hardly ever cries… In public, that is.
13) Favourite person: For now, his sisters, Helen and Julia.
14) Biggest flaw: Trent has anger issues… and he is homophobic (for now).
15) Biggest struggle?: Dealing with an abusive grandfather whom he loves deeply.
16) Most annoying quality: He is protective.
17) Most endearing quality: He is a chatterbox. Once you get to know him, you will not want him out of your life.
18) What makes them different/special: He is this tall, muscular, angry rich boy who must have a wonderful, easy life, and hence must be a certified arrogant idiot. But he is not.
19) What purpose do they serve in this story?: Let’s just say he is the end of an apparently endless cycle.
20): Why did you write them?: Because anyone can be a victim of abuse, even a tough-looking boy, and fighting it back is not always easy, especially if it comes from someone you love. Also, I cannot stress enough the importance of seeking professional help. It is never too late. This (and many other things) is what Trent represents.

5 Likes

Rose Sanchez, the LI

1. Favourite colour? Blue
2. Favourite food? Soup
3. Biggest fear? To fall in love
4. Fondest memory? When she met her best friend
5. Worst memory? When her ex boyfriend died
6. The part they most like about themselves? That she can handle any situation
7. The part they least like about themselves? That she can’t find a better job
8. Sexuality? Straight
9. Parent’s names? Nicole (her grandmother)
10. Biggest motivation in your story? To help her grandmother and to not fall in love
11. What makes them really angry? When she is ignored
12. What makes them cry? ”I cry because you can’t see how much I care about you!” - the only time she cried
13. Favourite person? Her grandmother
14. Biggest flaw? She gets angry really fast
15. Biggest struggle in your story? Dealing with people
16. Most annoying quality? She’s very observant
17. Most endearing quality? She’s a good listener
18. What makes them different/special? Let’s just say that, if I make a list about how I imagine the perfect LI (appearance and personality) that will be her.
19. What purpose do they serve in the story? To teach the MC what is like to love and to be loved, to teach him how to handle life in a better way and also to teach him to appreciate the things he has in life
20. Why did you write them? Because I meet this person in reality, and… idk, I want to tell others my story about how this person changed my life

3 Likes
  1. Favourite colour? Blue
  2. Favourite food? Gumbo
  3. Biggest fear? Spiders
  4. Fondest memory? Her first date with ex boyfriend
  5. Worst memory? Learning of ex’s infidelity
  6. The part they most like about themselves? Her brain
  7. The part they least like about themselves? The extra weight on her body
  8. Sexuality? Straight as an arrow
  9. Parent’s names? Francis and Gwendolyn
  10. Biggest motivation in your story? To find happiness
  11. What makes them really angry? People that do annoying things
  12. What makes them cry? Heartbreak
  13. Favourite person? Her sister Jewel
  14. Biggest flaw? Very petty
  15. Biggest struggle in your story? Dealing with conflicting feelings of ex
  16. Most annoying quality? Angers easily
  17. Most endearing quality? Loyal to friends
  18. What makes them different/special? She’s the blueprint of my ideal woman
  19. What purpose do they serve in the story? A reminder that love is something to fight for
  20. Why did you write them? I wanted to make a character that was relatable and not cliche
2 Likes

cracks knuckles I do love these! I have two websites I use for characterization. (notebook.ai is great for world building and I use charahub for character building).

I’ll use this for my new main character, Thorn Donnely.

1. Favourite colour? He likes all of them, but that intense red that the sky gets as the sun sets after a storm is his favorite.
  2. Favourite food? Anything warm and fresh.
  3. Biggest fear? Being alone.
  4. Fondest memory? When he caused a revolution at the Bard’s College… over socks.
  5. Worst memory? Getting thrown in a local jail for getting drunk and throwing fish at the tavernmaster for not serving him more alcohol.
  6. The part they most like about themselves? His voice, easily. He knows that he has talent, and is an extremely gifted singer.
  7. The part they least like about themselves? His insecurities and that he knows he can’t be alone.
  8. Sexuality? Gay
  9. Parent’s names? Tyrthan and Lenore Donnely
  10. Biggest motivation in your story? To rescue Cael and compose the greatest ballad.
  11. What makes them really angry? He hates being duped or played.
  12. What makes them cry? Any over abundance of emotions makes him cry; happiness, anger, sadness, he typically enjoys feeling and feeling deeply.
  13. Favourite person? Cael Jakande. Later on it might change though.
  14. Biggest flaw? He has a hard time taking things seriously- also has a penchant for causing trouble and letting his curiosity get the best of him.
  15. Biggest struggle in your story? Working to be an actual hero- connecting to people and not just using them as a device for his ballads.
  16. Most annoying quality? He talks. A lot
  17. Most endearing quality? He’s wonderful at cheering you up when you’re down.
  18. What makes them different/special? I don’t know about different or special, but he’s quite the bard- he’s very musically inclined and talented.
  19. What purpose do they serve in the story? He’s the main character! The hero! The savior of the day! :laughing:
  20. Why did you write them? I just wanted somebody fun and to write a light hearted story with fluffiness and generally un-complicated.
4 Likes

Oh no. But I’ll give this a try and change some bits around if I find problems.
Wilfred Clarke, MC
1. Favourite food?
Apple Turnovers
2. Biggest fear?
Getting near alcohol
3. Fondest memory?
Of moving in with his best friend, Eddie.
4. Worst memory?
Struggling to quit alcohol
5. The part they most like about themselves?
His job, and how he was able to bounce back well.
6. The part they least like about themselves?
A tendency for alcohol.
7. Sexuality?
Straight
8. Parent’s names?
(I forgot the father’s name, I’ll need to go back and check :no_mouth:)
Mother: Elsie Clarke
9. Biggest motivation in your story?
Overcoming their fears and learning instead of putting their pride first.
10. What makes them really angry?
Problems concerning his job.
11. What makes them cry?
If he’s let people down.
12. Favourite person?
Ed Bentley
13. Biggest flaw?
Unconfidence. It ruins everything he does.
14. Biggest struggle in your story?
A mistake in his job leads him to tumble into alcoholism while not sustaining his surrounding relationships.
15. Most annoying quality?
Unconfidence.
16. Most endearing quality?
Ability to make friends easily, and having a good heart.
17. What makes them different/special?
That it isn’t a typical love story?
18. What purpose do they serve in the story?
To discover themselves and learn from their mistakes.
19. Why did you write them?
Because I wanted to make an understandable character who you appreciate but also mistrust and have conflicting feelings on them in the end, and to be able to show that not everything has a happy ending.

2 Likes

Also, I’d like to add her favorite phrase (Oh Em Gee) and her favorite animal (cats).

3 Likes

I’m doing mine for my MC Loki Brennar

1. Favourite colour? Black/Red
2. Favourite food? Pasta
3. Biggest fear? Losing her twin
4. Fondest memory? When she and her twin had her first kill together
5. Worst memory? Watching her parents die in front of her
6. The part they most like about themselves? The way she is decieving and cunning and smart just like her twin.
7. The part they least like about themselves? When she lets her demons get the best of her when she tries really hard to hold them back.
8. Sexuality? Heterosexual
9. Parent’s names? Emma and Jack
10. Biggest motivation in your story? To kill people just like her parents and kill the people who run gangs (including their gangs too).
11. What makes them really angry? When people bring up her parents or her sister or have anything to do with her family. Also when people think that they can double-cross her.
12. What makes them cry? When their people talk about her family or when people hurt their family. When somebody hurts her sister.
13. Favourite person? Her twin (Madii Ray)!
14. Biggest flaw? Burdening herself
15. Biggest struggle in your story? Trying to get over her demons and make sure that her twin gets home safe.
16. Most annoying quality? Her cockiness and the fact that she is so sure of herself.
17. Most endearing quality? She is very loyal and respectful when you are close to her.
18. What makes them different/special? She is different because she is stronger than most because of her expierences and she thinks she can do everything.
19. What purpose do they serve in the story? Shows the readers a moral/lesson from what happened to her and that they should always be resilient.
20. Why did you write them? Because I wanted to create something different and influenced by others and non-cliche while also using cliche and non-cliche traits.

4 Likes

This was hard :sleepy:

1 Like

Oh, this is fun! And dear lord, I agree about two-dimensional characters.
This is one of my favourite characters: Ollie, from In the Margins.

1. Favourite colour? Grey.
2. Favourite food? Burgers or fish and chips. But really, anything with fries.
3. Biggest fear? Failing and not being good enough. I run a small business where word of mouth is everything.
4. Fondest memory? My mates got me a tattoo machine for my 16th birthday. That changed my life.
5. Worst memory? When my parents got divorced and my dad started spending more time at the pub instead of coming around.
6. The part they most like about themselves? My creativity. I crave to be creative all the time, every day whether it be by drawing, tattooing or writing. Also my hair. I have great hair.
7. The part they least like about themselves? I’m a perfectionist and have a hard time letting go before something is perfect in my eyes. I work on it daily though because it’s not possible to run a successful business and work on a tattoo for 6 hours when it could have been done in 3. Especially when the client won’t even notice a difference.
8. Sexuality? Straight.
9. Parent’s names? I’m lucky enough to have three parents. Clifford, Camilla and Helen.
10. Biggest motivation in your story? Continue to grow my business and get my book published.
11. What makes them really angry? People who judge others. I can’t stand it and have been subjected to it a lot.
12. What makes them cry? Family stuff. Like when dad left and then again when he came back, but for a different reason.
13. Favourite person? My mom, Camilla. When dad left she kept going and never let that stop her. She’s brave too and she followed her heart that took her to Helen. My wish is to be as brave as her in life.
14. Biggest flaw? That I’m a perfectionist.
15. Biggest struggle in your story? Growing my business and being taken seriously as an author. I know I might not look like your typical author but if someone would just give my manuscript a chance…
16. Most annoying quality? I might run my mouth a bit too much at times…
17. Most endearing quality? I want to build people up. Life is too hard as it is.
18. What makes them different/special? He’s a genuine guy who puts others before himself.
19. What purpose do they serve in the story? He’s the LI in the story and is closely connected to different storylines in the story.
20. Why did you write them? I wanted to create a LI that’s nice and not boring. Who’s passionate about the things that he loves and is independent from the MC. He doesn’t just exist to be a LI.

2 Likes

Oh, so me? :wink:

I still need to think of an name for this one :heart: ( if someone has a suggestion please send me one I love uncommon names xxx)

1. Black
  2. fear
  3. Losing his son
  4. getting his son
  5. losing his wife
  6. he doesn’t like himself at all
  7. his magic power and his lack of emotion
  8. difficult when you don’t have emotions :thinking: so I don’t know… maybe bi?
  9. he doesn’t have ‘parents’ he is a creation from a lab
  10. He wants to become human
  11. when someone mentions his past
  12. he can’t this is an emotion he doesn’t have
  13. his son even if he would never admit it
  14. doesn’t have flaws because he’s a creation ( well this is what he believes)
  15. raising his son alone
  16. being emotionless
  17. can’t go to far in on that sorry xxx
  18. god I don’t know how to explain this I guess he will show people that dead isn’t as bad as it seems ? but I really can’t explain this well without a long story :joy:
  19. TBH I just created this one. he really wasn’t supposed to be special but when I started to anwser these questions he became more and more a character so this has really helped me thank you very much!!
1 Like

Love this idea!

The antagonist of my story: Raven Pierce

1. Favourite colours? Red and black
2. Favourite food? Fish & chips and lemon cake
3. Biggest fear? Losing his loved ones
4. Fondest memory? Basically all the time he spent with his (ex) gf & mother
5. Worst memory? Being abused by his step-mother
6. The part they most like about themselves? His length, charisma & charm
7. The part they least like about themselves? His natural hair color
8. Sexuality? Heterosexual (straight)
9. Parent’s names? Calvin & Kate
10. Biggest motivation in your story? Getting revenge
11. What makes them really angry? Not getting what he wants
12. What makes them cry? Being confronted with his past
13. Favourite person? His mother (and his ex-gf until they broke up)
14. Biggest flaw? Being emotionless
15. Biggest struggle in your story? Finding his true self
16. Most annoying quality? He thinks he’s superior to everyone
17. Most endearing quality? Being respectful
18. What makes them different/special? His behavior, personality & action can all be explained by his past experiences and traumas
19. What purpose do they serve in the story? He’s the antagonist, the villain. The one who creates obstacles & trouble for the MC/protagonist
20. Why did you write them?
I wanted a villain in my story who isn’t two-dimensional & has a background story which actually explain his actions and behavior

1 Like

Also some advice to make characters more interesting. I also write fanfiction and chose characters I love to be antagonists or just fall in love with your antagonists. It will give them more background instead of just being a shell of a person trying to ruin the MC’s life for no reason.

1 Like

1. Favourite colour? Purple
2. Favourite food? Chips
3. Biggest fear? Insects | Being stuck
4. Fondest memory? Mother realising Dad was horrible
5. Worst memory? ^ Him abusing them
6. The part they most like about themselves? Hair,
7. The part they least like about themselves? The tendency to get dramatically angry
8. Sexuality? Straight
9. Parents’ names? Abena & Steven
10. Biggest motivation in your story? Mystery element of it
11. What makes them really angry? Liars.
12. What makes them cry? Memories.
13. Favourite person? Herself LOL
14. Biggest flaw? Not living up to the promises she makes to herself
15. Biggest struggle in your story? Overcoming fear and becoming brave
16. Most annoying quality? She kinda talks a lot
17. Most endearing quality? She’s respectful and endearing of others
18. What makes them different/special? She’s always learning … honestly idk
19. What purpose do they serve in the story? To show you can do it.
20. Why did you write them? Because she reminds me of myself.

1 Like

Almost forgot about this. Wanted to do it last week, but twas busy

This is for my MC Jesse.

• Favourite colour?

Blue

• Favourite food?

Pizza. But the episode kind only, none of that fancy toppings overlay pizzas.

• Biggest fear?

All of the girls he’s living with having their period cycles sync up
Confrontation

• Fondest memory?

Something from the Christmas episode… I think there’s a scene where I use the champagne glasses that glitch and I say something about it being one of his best memories, so yeah.

• Worst memory?

The STI scare was pretty bad.

• The part they most like about themselves?

If the reader kept the facial hair, then for sure it is the facial hair that he likes the most about himself.
If they shaved, then… Uh… wow I really don’t know. I need to do some thinking and come back to this.

• The part they least like about themselves?

His name - it’s caused too many issues.

• Sexuality?

Straight/Pan/Bi/Omni (reader’s choice)

• Parents’ names?

Mother: Pamela
Father: Anthony

• Biggest motivation in your story?

Surviving college.

• What makes them really angry?

Jai Mitchell-Malik :rage:

• What makes them cry?

I haven’t had him cry about anything yet because I don’t really like the LL cry animations, but issues with his parents are something I’m going to make him at least come close to crying about…?

• Favourite person?

Amberose! For obvious reasons

• Biggest flaw?

Yeah, the running away from conflict thing is a big one. Also, the fact that he can’t seem to keep it in his pants. Like ugh, don’t shit where you eat :woman_facepalming:

• Biggest struggle in your story?

Always being mistaken for a girl :cry:

• Most annoying quality?

I feel like sometimes he doesn’t take the time to read situations or people’s moods, so he’s a bit oblivious…? I think I’d find that annoying if I were friends with him in real life.

• Most endearing quality?

On the flip side to my previous answer, he can actually be really sweet and encouraging when the occasion calls for it. I think he’s good at being a supportive friend.

• What makes them different/special?

He’s a guy who was mistaken for a girl and now has to spend a year living with three of them.

• What purpose do they serve in the story?

Well, he is the story. Without him, there’d be nothing to drive the plot and I’d be lost :persevere:

• Why did you write them?

I just had this idea I couldn’t get out of my head and got carried away with planning fictional scenarios and next thing I know I was creating Jesse in the writer’s portal

So, this was a lot harder than I thought! You made me realise two things, Shannii:

1. I need to give him more opinions - I always struggle to give MCs opinions because I don’t want readers to feel like they aren’t getting to choose what he’s like… But things like biggests flaws and what he likes the most about himself are surely things I can do, right?
  2. I think I just changed who I ship him with :woman_facepalming:
10 Likes