Make Your Character Interesting! Exercises!

I’m :joy: :skull_and_crossbones:

Also…

I’m very curious to know who you ship him with!

2 Likes

Isn’t it obvious? :wink:

2 Likes

:skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

I’m taking this as a shameless promo, but also to have a friendly discussion and look your guys’ characters as well!

Here’s a bio about the MC (Jordan) in my first book:

1. Favorite color?
  • Definitely red, especially maroon or burgundy.
  1. Favorite food?
  • Any type of pasta/noodles. Italian and Chinese food are her muses.
  1. Biggest fear?
  • Most bugs. They make her skin crawl. Whether it be a spider or a beetle. NOPE.
  1. Fondest memory?
  • Receiving the contract to work with a movie production company. It jump-started her career tremendously.
  1. Worst memory?
  • The whole conflict that unfolded was because of a broken engagement. Valentine’s day party… Her ex-fiance breaks up their engagement via… text message. Then he does not explain himself… like ever…
  1. The part they most like about themselves?
  • Her body. It took her a little while to appreciate herself and try to take care of herself better. This included being comfortable with her body and her body changing.
  1. The part they least like about themselves?
  • Her aggressiveness. Sometimes it will come in handy, while other times she will react incorrectly to the situation.
  1. Sexuality?
  • Bisexual
  1. Parents’ names?
  • Regina (mother) and Shaun (father) Truman
  1. Biggest motivation in your story?
  • To heal from her broken engagement and to find herself.
  1. What makes them really angry?
  • Gossip magazines and blogs. She is not very fond of them spreading rumors about her love life and dragging her name.
  1. What makes them cry?
  • Memories and being pressured. Being in the public eye, especially after the break-up is really taking a toll on her emotions.
  1. Favorite person?
  • She has an amazing relationship with her older brother (Gabe).
  1. Biggest flaw?
  • Her ego.
  1. Biggest struggle in your story?
  • Handling her emotions.
  1. Most annoying quality?
  • She jumps to conclusions way too quickly.
  1. Most endearing quality?
  • She is very empathetic. She understands how others are feeling and will either listen and/or help them in any way that she can.
  1. What makes them different/special?
  • Although she does enjoy the money and fame that comes from being an actress, she is very passionate about her craft and aspires to do much bigger things in the entertainment industry.
  1. What purpose do they serve in the story?
  • She’s one of the main characters… So the protagonist? She tells her story?
  1. Why did you write them?
  • I love drama stories. I love Hollywood stories. I love actress stories. BAM.

Now here’s the other MC of “Heartbreak Avenue”: Eric aka “I’m going to break an engagement over the phone”

1. Favorite color?
  • Blue, especially ocean blue and navy blue.
  1. Favorite food?
  • Mediterranean food
  1. Biggest fear?
  • Heights
  1. Fondest memory?
  • Jordan accepting his proposal (the irony, I know)
  1. Worst memory?
  • Having a producer tell him he would not get any decent roles because of his sexuality.
  1. The part they most like about themselves?
  • His fashion sense.
  1. The part they least like about themselves?
  • His impulsivity.
  1. Sexuality?
  • Pansexual
  1. Parents’ names?
  • Rachel (mother) and Marvin (father) Moore
  1. Biggest motivation in your story?
  • Try to find his love for acting again.
  1. What makes them really angry?
  • Facing discrimination for his sexuality and/or the way he carries himself.
  1. What makes them cry?
  • Intense sadness or anger
  1. Favorite person?
  • His best friend and co-star, Reina.
  1. Biggest flaw?
  • Overly critical of himself
  1. Biggest struggle in your story?
  • Similar to Jordan, figuring where his emotions will take him, especially career-wise
  1. Most annoying quality?
  • Worries too much
  1. Most endearing quality?
  • He is very hardworking (almost too hardworking)
  1. What makes them different/special?
  • He will either dress masculine or gender fluid. He is comfortable with his sexuality and also likes to express it through his clothing.
  1. What purpose do they serve in the story?
  • He is somewhat an antagonist and protagonist. He is the other MC. He may do some asshole things, but he is not necessarily one.
  1. Why did you write them?
  • We need drama. I love actors. He is actually based off of an actual actor that I admire. I also just like creating many different characters because my creative brain never stops working.
3 Likes

Okey so, meet the male Antagonist of my weird little drama, Thriller mix of a story!

1. Red
  2. Lamb Chop with sweet potatoes
  3. Loneliness
  4. ~this would be kind of a spoiler. It’s a memory of him playing with his 4 year old daughter but I can not go into more detail ~
  5. The day he met a certain woman. (Also a spoiler)
  6. His Charm, the way he can manipulate people and get them to do as he wants
  7. Two things: That he lost the only person he loved because of those aforementioned things, AND that this made him weak enough for the rest of the story to unfold.
  8. Straight
  9. Rose and Albert. Last names would be a spoiler again.
  10. Setting things straight again with his family (and another thing that ties into it but guess what? SPOILER)
  11. The way his daughter developed, and how the woman I mentioned in point 5 had her part in it.
  12. Ironically, his fondest memory. And pictures of his daughter
  13. Can’t you guys guess at this point? (Surprise: His daughter)
  14. Narcissism
  15. Standing up for himself by admitting what he has done wrong.
  16. Persistence.
  17. How protective he is over his family.
  18. Well, to be the antagonist. He is there to give my mc a special sort of struggle, show an abusive family dynamic, and be a kind of anti redeeming quality to my other villain.
  19. Well, as for all my Characters, I did not create them specifically for episode but rather to fill a universe with them. He was therefore mainly written to bring life and some sort of Conflict into that story, but the reason why I chose HIM to be part of my episode story is kind of explained in my answer to question 19.
1 Like

Character: Leo (Leon) McMillan - Love Interest

BLACK! O_o

Hot Wings

Having the ability to stand up to his parents and girlfriend.

Meeting his friends for the first time Especially Dia :smirk:

Can’t say now. :shushing_face:

His strength and athletic ability.

Not being able to confront people.

Straight

Warren and Oma.

To speak up to his parents and leave his girlfriend.

Too much stress.

Abuse. Emotional and Physical. Although, he usually hides in his tears but when he’s alone, the water works come out.

It’s two people actually–Dia and his little sister, Noelle.

I’ll say his cowardliness??

Dealing with the torment

Flippancy–Not all the time though.

Zealous

He’s not your typical, perfect love interest. I’ll say that…

To show an insight that men can also go through abuse and pain from some of their loved ones, just like women and show that you don’t need to be this “perfect” guy in order to get a girl.

Same reason for the question above^

1 Like

I love demonology, so when I read that, I was like O.O Ba’al??? OMG! X’DDDD

1 Like

This made me go like OMG, questions about Dia!!

This one made me go :thinking: I really wanna read this LOL

3 Likes

Haha…:sweat_smile: Dia isn’t his girlfriend in the story…yet. :smirk: You’ll see once I’m done.

3 Likes

I have four main characters, arguably 5, LOL, so…I’mma do 2 MC’s and accept the challenge of doing the…antagonist…one of them? Kinda? Mine is done like a Pixar story kinda, there isn’t really a stable “antagonist” :thinking: Hm…

MC: Aerro

1. Favorite color?

Green

2. Favorite food?

Hungarian Goulash (without onions)

3. Biggest fear?

His family becoming (more) broken, like him not getting along with his brothers and his father dying far too soon and Aren (his brother) killing himself - He fears he will not be able to do anything to keep his family together

4. Fondest memory?

His parents took him and his brothers to a diner before his mom died and before they knew she was sick, which the entire day was a fun day, but at the end of the night, at the diner, things were stable, happy, and he holds onto that.

5. Worst memory?

The hours before his mother passed away

6. The part they most like about themselves?

He’s a kind soul

7. The part they least like about themselves?

He feels like he is a coward and a bad leader despite wanting desperately to do everything he can to keep his family together.

8. Sexuality?

Hetero

9. Parents’ names?

Andreas (Antti) and Judith Sorenson

10. Biggest motivation in your story?

Having a good family and keeping his relationships in tact with his brothers and girlfriend

11. What makes them really angry?

When anybody (especially his brothers) make comments that either purposefully or even accidentally hurt his family (especially if Aren is hurt)

12. What makes them cry?

Failing (or thinking that he’s failed) at keeping his relationships strong, like with his girlfriend Regina and his brothers “to the point of no return” (he worries about this kinda thing a lot)

13. Favorite person?

Regina, most of the time

14. Biggest flaw?

He represses his feelings, trying often to put on a brave face to keep up the appearance that everything is fine. At the same time, he avoids conflict.

15. Biggest struggle in your story?

Um…I actually can’t reveal that ^^’ His second biggest struggle however is somewhat a man-versus-self deal, as he has to get over the fact that he can’t always control if or how his family starts falling apart sometimes

16. Most annoying quality?

Pretending problems don’t exist sometimes

17. Most endearing quality?

Eager to help people

18. What makes them different/special?

Aerro is an ISFJ - T, the defender. “Defenders are true altruists, meeting kindness with kindness-in-excess and engaging the work and people they believe in with enthusiasm and generosity.”

19. What purpose do they serve in the story?
and
20. Why did you write them?

He’s like the glue that keeps the family together in the story. As a character that people read, his purpose is incomplete without Regina, to show an example of a healthy and loving relationship where the conflicts don’t involve infidelity. They’re more traditional, at least the most traditional couple. He fulfills the role of a stable, steady and competent man (most of the time) and Gina is her own role. The most notable thing about their relationship that isn’t traditional though is actually that she has a major advantage in being the “breadwinner”.

Antagonist? Daphnes

1. Favorite color?

Blue

2. Favorite food?

Turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes/gravy, and steamed vegetables. Basically, the entire turkey dinner

3. Biggest fear?

An economic depression, because then his business will fall with it.

4. Fondest memory?

His daughter, Regina, being born

5. Worst memory?

When he was a kid, he had a traumatic, painful experience and he had passed out, getting a concussion as well. It was very scary for him at the time and nothing has been nearly as painful as that day.

He gets things done very clean and quick.

He has weaknesses, plain and simple. As he’s a perfectionist, having any amount of weakness is frustrating for him, and he does everything he can to not reveal them or talk about them.

8. Sexuality?

Hetero

9. Parents’ names?

Margaret and Johan (yo - hawn)

On-screen, his motivation is to help steer Regina down the correct path. Off-screen, he wants to keep his business successful and running.

Insubordination and rebellion.

12. What makes them cry?

Intense physical pain - nerve damage

13. Favorite person?

His daughter, Regina <3

14. Biggest flaw?

Distrust in whatever is “other” to him - “The problem with being so fixated on what works is that Executives too often dismiss what might work better. Everything is opinion until proven, and Executive personalities are reluctant to trust an opinion long enough for it to have that chance.”

On-screen, it is coming to terms with Regina’s choice in a partner, Aerro.

He’s quite judgmental and it can be difficult to change his mind.

Loyal

He is an ESTJ - A, the executive. “Executive personalities lead by example, demonstrating dedication and purposeful honesty, and an utter rejection of laziness and cheating…”

He is one of the obstacles and conflicts that stand between Aerro and Regina.

Regina is extremely influenced by her father. He’s a successful business owner, and she believes her father put the moon and the sun in the sky and mapped out the stars. She looks up to him and loves him dearly. Inspired by my own father, Daphnes is a fantastic father even if he does have some incredibly FATAL flaws.

3 Likes

I’m doing this as my MC Elsie from my upcoming story. :wink:

1. Favourite colour; Blue? I guess blue. Blue is a good colour, right?
  2. Favourite food; Mmm, I’m not allowed to say everything and anything, am I? I guess Mexican. I’ll eat it all.
  3. Biggest fear; Eeesh. Biggest fear? Besides wasps, I’d say turning into my mother. Urgh, even the thought of it makes me shiver.
  4. Fondest memory; Now that’s a hard one. Out of the very small pile, I’d say when my mom took me to the cinema when I was a kid. It was one of the only times we spent time together, with no insults, no sly jabs, no comparing me to my sister.
  5. Worst memory; I guess when my girlfriend broke up with me? We both said somethings we both regret. I’d rather not talk about it.
  6. Part they like most about themselves; I guess I’m kind? You know inner beauty and that stuff.
  7. Part they like least; I guess I’m quite closed off. My sister says I need to communicate my feelings a bit more. But this chick also styled her lip plumpers off a bratz doll, so what does she know.
  8. Sexuality; Bisexual.
  9. Parents names; Timm and Kayoko. Interesting fact, Kayoko means one full of secrets. Spoiler for the story.
  10. Biggest motivation; I would say probably move on from Oliver. But he’s in the past. So I’m gonna get a job asap so I can get away from my family.
  11. What makes her angry; My mom. I think she regrets giving birth to me. It’s like I’m only there for her to insult and compare to my sister.
  12. What makes her cry; I never really cry. I tend to put things in boxes and shove them to the back of my mind and never open them. And maybe Marley & Me.
  13. Favourite person; My sister’s girlfriend, I guess? It’s not a weird thing, I promise. She’s just the most likeable person on earth.
  14. Biggest flaw; Hot head. And likes to stir shit up.
  15. Biggest struggle; Accepting my feelings. I can’t move on from you know who until I do, which sucks.
  16. Most annoying quality; shit stirring. It’s a legit problem for me.
  17. Most endearing quality; I’m very forgiving. I think.
  18. What makes her different; I guess she has a lot of internal struggles she doesn’t communicate. She can come off as a bit rude and short, but she really does mean well.
  19. What purpose does she serve; She’s the MC. Most is explained in the next point.
  20. Why did I write her; Elsie is a very different character to any I’ve written/read. She’s constantly belittled and slyly insulted by her mom, so she feels out of place in her family. She feels like her family are living in some ideal, magical reality that she’s not part of. Over her life she’s put up defences cause of her mom chipping away (guilt tripping her, setting her extremely high standards, preferring her sister over her) at her over the years, so it’s hard for her to open up. She claims she hates her family, but she loves them really. She won’t ever admit it, but she just wants her mom’s love and approval. The only time she ever let her guards down was for a guy (the Li) and unknown to him, her feelings were hurt. When he comes back into her life, she has to overcome all her inner turmoil to embrace her feelings, and decide if she has to fight for what she wants.
2 Likes

My character, Kyler Nate or Nate Kyler

1. Favourite colour? Orange
  2. Favourite food? Pasta
  3. Biggest fear? Failing
  4. Fondest memory? The day was returned to his mother, age 13, after she was released from a drug facility
  5. Worst memory?
    The day he had to go to live with his biological father.
    Their confident and how intelligent he is.
    Having a hard time with decisions and procrastinating
  8. Sexuality?
    Straight/maybe bi
  9. Parents’ names?
    Nevada Fahr {Mom}
    Gage Leblanc {Dad}
    Supporting the MC with her decisions and take care of himself first when it’s important.
    being lied to
  12. What makes them cry?
    Losing someone they really care about, hurting others by mistakes
  13. Favourite person?
    His mother
  14. Biggest flaw?
    He doesn’t have trust issue but he’s trust in others too much
    When the MC and Kyler need to make a decision if they can fight together or just by one.
    He’s too confident and smart sometimes makes the MC confused :joy:
    Loyalty
    They’re not a bad boy lmao
    They’re not perfect. He’s a window basically. You can read him easily
    Supporting the MC and maybe being a possible lover.
    I really wanted to put in a special character who would bring in emotion with his story. Now I kinda want t put him as the MC :joy:
1 Like

Hi everyone! Since the first exercise went down so well, I have another one for you to try to help you build your characters!

Here are the rules:

1. Write the name of the exercise.
  2. Think of one character. Choose a good one and don’t change!
  3. Choose randomly from the list of OBJECTS. Do this AFTER you’ve chosen the character. It’s supposed to be a little difficult!
  4. Choose randomly from the list of EMOTIONS/FEELINGS
  5. Write 20-100 words about the object from the character’s point of view. The character should be feeling the emotion during the scene.
  6. Write the object number, the emotion number and name of the character underneath

I’ll try my best to comment on some of them, especially the funny, interesting or unknown ones

Also, it would be amazing if you could check out my blog in return! Every little helps!

OBJECTS

Object 1

A preserved butterfly.

Object 2

A set of Russian dolls with a creepy expression.

Object 3

A bottle of wine. Tasteful. Expensive.

Object 4

A yellow flower with a curious smell.

Object 5

Eighteen boxes, tiny but heavy.

Object 6

Empty armour with eyes.

Object 7

A random hat, snagged on the branch of a tree.

Object 8

A purple pencil, reverberating with power.

Object 9

A branch… or is it a wand?

Object 10

Just a ball. A giant, orange ball.

Object 11

An old photograph of someone lost.

Object 12

A pool of suspicious-looking liquid.

Object 13

An old, rusted sword.

Object 14

A shiny nail sticking out of the wall.

Object 15

A bronze coin laying on the ground.

Object 16

A bone-shaped dog treat.

Object 17

A small, withered plant.

Object 18

A dusty, moth-eaten blanket.

Object 19

A plate: ornate, old, priceless.

Object 20

A rotten egg mayo sandwich.

Object 21

A fluffy pair of slippers.

Object 22

A fossil on a huge boulder.

Object 23

A book full of secrets about the character’s enemy/rival.

Object 24

An out of tune, black guitar.

Object 25

An out-of-date milk carton with the character’s wanted poster on it.

Object 26

A green hot water bottle.

Object 27

An old Nokia phone.

EMOTIONS/FEELINGS

Emotion 1

Fear.

Emotion 2

Joy.

Emotion 3

Anger.

Emotion 4

Lust.

Emotion 5

Confusion.

Emotion 6

Love.

Emotion 7

Sadness.

Emotion 8

Nostalgia.

Emotion 9

Happiness.

Emotion 10

Longing.

Emotion 11

Uncertainty.

Emotion 12

Excitement.

Emotion 13

Hunger.

Emotion 14

Impatience.

Emotion 15

Tiredness.

Emotion 16

Thirst.

Emotion 17

Hatred.

Emotion 18

Embarassment.

Have fun with this and tell me if you want more exercises!

6 Likes

You’re trippin. :skull:

1 Like

How? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ssksksks Do you see all that???

1 Like

It was really fun to write! xD You only pick one from each too!

1 Like

:neutral_face:

1 Like

Righto. I’ll do Lara from One of the Girls. Her mindset will make this funny…
I’m guessing we don’t look at the object/emotion until we pick it, right? Because I’m avoiding looking as I’m unsure. And if that’s the case, I might do this for the main cast coz seems fun :smiley:

5 Likes

Helpful and brilliant methodology! <3

1 Like