-Malukah's Tutorials Thread!-

Banner

Hey guys! Welcome to:

MALUKAH’S TUTORIALS!

Here I will be submitting drawing a photo edit tutorials according to what I know to help some people who need help with that :blush:

You can also submit your tutorial! But please do PM me so I can insert it to the thread :heart:

You can also give feedback and/or request a tutorial :heart:

TUTORIALS

Eyes

Here’s a tutorial for making eyes! (INK)

1. First, You’ll need to have a character so you can trace their eyes. Here I took my official avatar.

1. After you got the character image open in your app/program, you’ll lower the image’s opacity.

1. Then, in the app/program you use, you’ll need to trace their eyes with black (because it’s INK style).

1. After you traced the main shape, you can decide in making extra lashes.

If you do make extra lashes, make them curvy pointing mainly at one direction, so they look more natural.

1. Now, you can decide to make a pupil, it maily depends on your style

If you do make a pupil, you can make it like it is IRL or your style, but if you’d like to make it INK style, you’ll have to “snip” out a little circle on the pupil, it has the function of a catchlight.

The catchlight follows a light source, so if the light source, let’s say the sun, is shining on the left of your character, both the catchlights from the right and left eye are going to be at the same side, in this case, left.

1. Now you can color in the base colors on a layer below the outline.

1. On the iris of the eye, you can take a color that is darker then the base color and color it on the top of the iris, after you did so, you can blur it so it makes a nice gradient.

1. Here you can add extra light to the iris, I usually add it around the iris and below the pupil.

1. Here is completely optional, but you can add more catchlights, remebering the rule that the catchlights ALWAYS follow the LIGHT SOURCE.

1. Something that some people forget to add are the sahdows on the white part of the eye, but we do have them

So what you’re going to do is take a grey-ish color and shade it on top of the white part of the eye, after you did so, you can blur it.

1. This one is optional, you can add the waterline on the corners of the eye, it really depends on what style you’re going for.

1. Appreciate what you have done!

You’ve finished the eye of your INK character!

I hope you like this tutorial :heart:

Mouth

This is how I make a mouth:

1. First I make that same system, lower the opacity of the image, make a new layer and then trace the lips over.

1. The lips in INK are not outlined in black, so lock the outlines and color over it in the lipstick colors, In this case I’m using blue

Remember to make the upper lip darker than the bottom lip.

1. Make a layer below and color in the base colors: Upper lip darker then the bottom!

1. Color the corners of the mouth in a darker color.

1. Now, make the highlights in the middle of the bottom lip.

1. Aprecciate your work!

You’ve finished the mouth tutorial!

Contouring
  1. Color in the base colors of the character

1. Shade in these places:
  • Around the end of the jaw
  • Around the Chin
  • Under the Eyes
  • Unter Cheek Bones
  • Under characters hair
  • Under the Nose
  • Around the nose

1. Blur the shading

1. Now it’s time to add the highlights

Add them around these places:

On the middle of the nose

• On the inner colors of the eyes
  • On top of the cheek bones
  • On top of the cupid’s bow
  • On the middle of the chin
  • On the middle of the forehead
  • Around the nostrils

1. Blur the Highlights

1. Add extra Highlights if you wish to

1. Blur the extra higlights

1. The rest is up to you!

Boom! You’ve fineshed the contour tutorial!

If you’d like a tutorial on the other things I did, you can request down in the comments!

OUTLINE IS NOT MINE

Outline provided by @jassie12dw’s outline contest:

Jassie's 200 insta followers outline contest

Realistic Outline
  1. Take the character that you’d like to make, ir can be either INK or LL.

2, Search for the IRL image you’d like to outline.

You can also make your own realistic drawing, if you’d like some anatomical leasons (female only) you can request it in the comments below

1. Lower the opacity of the image

1. Create another layer and outline the body, depending on the character, change the features (physical characteristics and clothing, in case you need a tutorial on how to draw clothing, etc, request it down in the comments below!).

1. Delete the layer of the IRL body below

1. Now, create another layer and lock it, so then you can color the outline of pieces that have other colors

7.The rest is up to you! In case you’d like a coloring tutorial, request it in the comments down below!

Congratulations! You’ve finished the realistic outline tutorial!

Realistic Painting
  1. Have your outline ready

1. Color in the base colors (each of them on a diffrent layer!)

1. Create a new layer on top of each layer and add the shadows individually, don’t forget to lock the layers.

1. Blur the shadows

1. Add the darkerst shadows

6: Blur the shadows

1. Add patterns in the necessary places (In case you need a tutorial on how to make a plaid pattern, just request it on the comments below!)

1. Create a new layer on top of the patterned part, select a medium gray color and set the blend mode to “shade”, shade the necessary places.

1. Blur the shading

1. Add a new layer on each part and add the highlights, also lock the layers.

1. Blur the highlights

1. Add in the BG, make any adjustments to it if needed.

1. Add the character’s shadow (in case you need a tutorial on making shadows, just request it down in the comments below!)

1. Merge all of the character’s layers into one, add a new layer, select a medium gray, create a new layer with the “shade” blend mode, and shade wherever it’s necessary according to the BG

And you’re done!

Congratulations! You’ve completed the Realistic Painting tutorial!

Ears

Tutorial on how to draw ears! :heart:

My Painting Process
  1. Have your outiline ready

1. Insert all of the base colors, I usually do them in different layers, one layer for the hair, another for the dress and so on.

1. If you’re making a custom made background, Have your outline ready, after that, color it in with the base colors.

1. Add any extra details on the clothing.

For this detail I made a layer above the dress and selected a medium grey color, after that I changed the the blend mode from normal to multiply, starting to paint the areas that I want it to look kind of trasnparent.

1. I start shading the skin and dress, Usually when I shade is the moment to set the atmosphere of the drawing.

For example, let’s say that I want a cool moment, on the snow, so I’ll take a medium desaturated blue color, set the layer above to multiply or shade and start shading.

If I want a warm moment on the beach, I’ll use a medium red color, set the layer above to multiply or shade and start shading the same way, it makes a huge difference!

Here’s an image to show you what I mean:

1. Then I proceed to add darker shadows, using the same technique, but on a layer above.

Some things important to remeber is that

I - When the layers are set to shade they can get too dark, specially on top of another shade layer, so if necessary, lowering the opacity may help a lot!

II - Darker shadows take less space, the closer an objects is to another, the darker and smaller the shadow gets, so when inserting the darkest shadows, keep in mind that they shouldn’t be bigger than the base shadow.

1. Shade the hair! Using the same process as before

It’s something good to keep in mind that, if the hair is too dark (like in the example above)
It’s good to shade it one time only, or else it will get too dark and people won’t be able to see your outline, but that’s just a design choice of mine.

1. Add the base highlights!

Use the same theory as shading, but instead of making it a shade/multiply layer, make it a luminosity layer, or a layer that most effectively simulates light

Important things to remeber:

I. The light will always follow a light source, so depending on where the light is coming from, you’ll know where to shade and where to highlight, since the shadows are always at the opposing side of the light source and the highlights follow the light source

II. You can have multiple light sources! depending on where they are, shading is almost inexistant

1. Add in the extra higlights!

Sometimes, depending on the distance the light source is, there will be areas that are extra highlited, like when you turn on the flash on your cellphone and put it extra close to a wall, the place where the light is will be really bright!

Something important to remember is the surface that the light is hitting, for example, if you take an object that has a matte effect to it, the light will be much less present, so extra highlights wouldn’t be used as much opposing to a smooth surface, like a mirror or a pearl.

1. Add in background details!

I usually use a lot of IRL images, like the wood texture and the building on the back, if you’d like a more clear explanation on how to do it, just ask on the comments below!

AND YOU’RE DONE!

I hope this tutorial was helpful for some of you at least!

Good painting for you :wink:

*DRAWING USED FOR: ~Mashia's Weekly Editing Challenge~

You should definetly check it out! It presents lots of cool challenges that will help you with painting!

Nose

Tutorial on how to draw a nose! :heart:

Highlights
  1. Have your drawing already shaded

1. Take a medium desaturated color of your choice, create a new layer and set the blend mode to luminosity.

Set the opacity to around 40% to 50% and highlight your character according to the light source direction.

1. Blur the highlights.

1. Create a new layer and set the blend mode to luminosity then make smaller highlights, like little dots on the cheek bones, shoulder, nose and eyes.

1. Create a brand new layer on top of everything an set the blend mode to luminosity, to make a cool efect, create a ball of light where the ligh source is, this will help to give dimention to the drawing.

And you’re done!

I hope this tutorial helps :blush:

INK Hair Coloring

I’M BACK BISHEES

Aight, let’s start this tutorial:

1. Have you base color already laid out.

1. Insert the shadows using a multiply layer, pick a greyish color of your choice and start shading.

1. Blur the shadows.

1. Create a layer above the shadows and lock the layer (clipping group), set the layer to multiply again and shade it from the bottom to the top to give a bit of variety in colors.

1. Merge the shadow layers to the base color layers, afterwards, create a luminosity layer and paint where the highlights are going to be (remeber that the highlights follow the light surce).

1. Blur the highlights.

1. Create another layer with the screen blend mode, afterwards, add the hard highlights.

1. Merge all of the layers (including the linework) and create a screen layer above them, lock the layer and paint and blend softly where the highlights are.

And you’re done!

71 Likes

Joining!

1 Like

Joining

1 Like

Eye tutorial is done guys :heart:

3 Likes

I love this thread so much!~ :heart_eyes:

1 Like

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS THREAD!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::grin:

3 Likes

This is so helpful! I absolutely suck at eyes, no joke

1 Like

This is amazing!!!

1 Like

I’m just gonna bookmark this lol

1 Like

Mouth tutorial is done guys!

1 Like

This is amazing! :heart_eyes: A tutorial request: contouring/shading, would be much appreciated!

1 Like

QUEEN!!!

1 Like

This is just :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: Lol I struggle so much with hair tho!

1 Like

Contouring tuto guys!

2 Likes

You and @PerplexedJam are going to beat me in that outline contest lol. Nice tutorial!

1 Like

1 Like

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Can you do a tutorial on how you make your realistic art?

1 Like

Sure!

1 Like

Realistic outline tutorial done guys!

3 Likes