Me complaining about Disney's live-action "Beauty and the Beast" until I'm famous 🌹

Let’s talk about Live-Action “Beauty and the Beast”…

And everything good and (mostly) bad about it.

Good

• I loved what they did with Belle’s mom’s backstory. They really tied the story together and give Belle’s character more depth.

• They preserved some of the best parts: like Mrs. Potts and the other talking furniture, Gaston’s dislikeable personality, and the Beast.

• They did a good job of casting a person such as Josh Gad that could be used as comedic relief and is talented at playing off of other actor’s skillsets.

• Emma Watson fit the bill of Belle. Some people disagree with this one (and I understand where they’re coming from), but I think she really looked and acted the part.

• I love and Josh Gad, and definitely LeFou.

• Gaston and the Beast could both sing.

• The overall directing and dialogue were put together nicely.

• The sets were gorgeous.

• “Evermore” was beautiful and it was one of the better songs in the movie.

• The costuming was impressive… Except for Belle’s yellow dress.

• They managed to make Belle’s dad more likeable than before.

The terrible stuff that makes me want to scream.

• Anyone who knows anything about the broadway version knows that “Home” is a super iconic musical song sung by the brilliant Susan Egan. They had zero faith in Emma Watson’s vocal capability that they refused to include this song. This song is so iconic and adds so much depth to Belle’s character. They only played a weird lullaby-box version of it when she first enters her new room. They included “Evermore” (which is another broadway version song) but not “Home”… Which is 20x more iconic. I don’t even care if it sounded terrible and if Emma Watson was hyper-autotuned (like in every song she sang in). Them just including it would’ve made the entire story feel well put together.

• The friggin’ dress!! This wouldn’t be terrible if I hadn’t seen live-action “Cinderella” where they outdid themselves on a dress that wasn’t as unique or “trademark”. Belle was one of my favorite Disney Princesses and had the prettiest dress. Yet, they decide to dress down her wonderful yellow dress (which no other princess has a yellow dress) into a simple ballgown that only preserves the color yellow.

• They autotuned Belle and whoever did the music needs to fix it. Emma Watson is not that bad at singing. Sure, she’s not as vocally capable as some of the other cast but they really needed to call in somebody to train her rather than use technology to very obviously mask her lack of skill. “Belle” is such a sweet song, but I found myself fast-forwarding past it because of how annoying the autotune it was. If she was that bad, just have someone sing over her. That’s what they did in “High School Musical”.

• Maybe it was just me, but it seemed as if Belle and the Beast were alluding to more of a friendship than a romance. This isn’t a huge criticism, but just something that felt really odd to me. :thinking:

What’s been your favorite Disney live-action movie so far?
  • Maleficent
  • Mulan
  • The Lion King
  • Aladdin
  • Dumbo
  • Jungle Book
  • Beauty and the Beast :grimacing:
  • Cinderella
  • Pete’s Dragon
  • Lady and the Tramp

0 voters

Overall…

The movie wasn’t terrible. The first time I was extremely disappointed. However, watching it over again made me like it more. There were so many places that this movie could’ve excelled and became 20x better as the most iconic things weren’t preserved.

Okay, I’m done complaining. Thank you for listening. :joy:

-Lynne Harper :sparkles:

3 Likes

as a person who build relationships on friendships, I say I rather liked that.

2 Likes

True. :thinking: It just had a different vibe than the original movie. Something I just noted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.