Mental Illness+OCD Misrepresentation

bump :slight_smile:

Just published my new story about OCD:

one thing ive noticed in stories is the trend to frame disabilities (of any kind) as something the character is trying to overcome. and theres nothing wring with those stories, I just wish there were more written from a different idk, angle. take anxiety for example: naturally you would want to minimize the physical and mental toll it takes on your body, but at the same time there are many wonderful qualities for people with anxiety that rarely get discussed. like how they might be observant, empathetic, thorough, a good friend. this goes for mental, physical, and intellectual disabilities as well

4 Likes

I agree. I’m trying to do that in my new story about OCD.

I think I have PTSD…

Bump

My friend has autism too and yeah, the stigma is really negative. She’s actually written a story on episode which is out now about how employers see autism and how her colleagues behave. You also see the string of mental illnesses which comes with it. I think it’s fantastic that she’s writing this. PM me the link when it’s released x

I have anxiety and severe depression and trust me it’s not what everyone makes it out to be. You can’t just snap out of it. You push everyone away, you self harm to stop your mind from over thinking. You’d rather be alone because you’ll never be good enough and always feeling like you’re like a constant failure. You feel that the world is better off without you because you’re no use to society. That’s what it’s really like

I’m like that because of years of bullying. People don’t realise the scars they leave once the damage has been done and these scars last a lifetime. It haunts you and it doesn’t stop haunting you. Think before you speak!

There’s an amazing story called Second Chance by Josie Jackson and it shows the effects and the suffering of someone with depression if anyone wants to read it. Yes it’s triggering and hard to read but when you cover something like that and the author expresses their raw emotions, then it’s gotta be written like that.

5 Likes

Anxiety and depression are definitely not represented properly by most people. They are often downplayed and misused by people who don’t know what they are actually talking about.

Literally! It’s not oh I have depression then the handsome prince comes along and makes it better. No! :triumph:

1 Like

I have terrible anxiety

Bump

Depression isnt crying 24/7 dressing in black either. It can be feeling absolutely nothing or ur emotions feel like they are under a sheet of ice occasionally a crack forms and one fragment of emotion or many seep through. The amnt of episode stories I read always grate my nerves when it comes to depression and anxiety. They portray social anxiety most but theres SO many other kinds. Depression is always done so awfully v.v ur not gonna be sad 24/7 all day every day with tears.(yes Ik circumstances vary) or its always character with a sad face and a LARGE textwall of self loathing tht never seems realistic as they cry and cry.(of course theres the lovr who cures any MI they have as well)

2 Likes

Actually, I’d just like to mention it depends on the person! Psychopathy is generally under-explored since it can be difficult to collect accurate data from a psychopath. There isn’t a specific behavior that all psychopaths have. Some can feel lonely, and some care what others think. Some can hate themselves. Others can’t experience loneliness, or care for other’s opinions, or self-hate. The definition of psychopathy is still developing.

4 Likes

Many many pieces of media have misrepresented mental illnesses and such and I’ve rarely seen it be used very well. Some things get it pretty well, but they’re often on anxiety and depression, and not other disorders such as BPD, bipolar, DID, etc. Don’t get me started on how DID is misrepresented in pretty much everything I’ve seen in it too when it is covered.

Psychotic disorders are often misrepresented too in media I’ve noticed, or they get no representation at all except the “ah yes crazy psychotic killer” when it isn’t like that for most people. People with psychotic disorders aren’t crazy and dangerous like media would push you to believe.

2 Likes

I agree.

• Pure OCD and Intrusive Thoughts.
    They’re a lot more common than people think, and being someone who dealt with them… It was horrifying not knowing what was “wrong” with you.

• Major Depressive Disorder.
    This is extremely common, but the fact that it is being glorified and becoming a trend is terrible and oppressive.
    I deal with this, and it’s absolutely terrible feeling like your feelings won’t be understood.
    I live in an extremely religious setting and mental illness isn’t commonly talked about, so the stereotypes that exist are the only things that people know. So, talking about them feels out of the question because you don’t want to be viewed as “those people”.

4 Likes

bump

OCD week is coming up! This year it is from the 11th-17th (of Oct)!

3 Likes

OCD Awareness Week is this week! Check out my latest Insta post about it (@gabi.episode)
Update: I made a part 2 as well!

2 Likes