Messed up Transitions

Hi, I need help with my story. I’ve recently seen that when I preview my story, the transitions seem a little off. When there is a transition I use, it seems as if the previous background repeats itself then goes to the next background. I’m scared that my viewer will seem confused when they see my story and not want to read it anymore. I’m currently still working on episode 2 at the moment. Also, the transitions are spelled right with no errors. I don’t know what the problem is. I think its a glitch.

I think I have an idea of why it’s doing that, but to be sure could I see your code where this is happening?

Make sure you’re fading out at the end of a scene and in at the beginning of a scene. Also make sure you don’t have anything after the transition, like a pause or dialogue. It should be:

@transition fade out
INT. NEW BACKGROUND - DAY
@transition fade in

2 Likes

I have this for almost every background that I use.

How about this:

@transition fade out black
@pause for a beat

@YOU changes into YOU_casual

@transition fade in black
INT. POLICE STATION 2 - DAY
@pan to zone 3
@OFFICER GONZALEZ enters from right to screen right
@pause for a beat
@YOU enters from left to screen left

Yeah your very first transition won’t work. Actually, I’m not quite seeing the point of what you did before the police station background. You can change the character’s clothing right before they enter the screen.

Do this instead:

@pause for a beat
@transition fade out black
INT. POLICE STATION 2 - DAY
@transition fade in black
@pan to zone 3
@OFFICER GONZALEZ enters from right to screen right
@pause for a beat
@YOU changes into YOU_casual
@YOU enters from left to screen left

Always put the fade out right before the background name and the fade in right after. Things in between won’t work. :slight_smile: