Mexican an ethnicity but Hispanic not?

I’ve noticed online they’ve said that Hispanic is not an ethnicity, but when I look around I see Mexicans and they look like they r their own race of people, my mom said that Hispanics don’t like them because a Hispanic she mistook for a Mexican got offended by being called one, when she asked why it was offensive, he told her that they were lowlifes.

One black girl said “I’m not black, I’m Mexican. I just look like one due to people coming to mexico and making kids with our people” something like those words… It was at our church event where we honored ethnicity.

4 Likes

Well some Hispanics are Mexican

1 Like

Like me for example I’m an Hispanic

1 Like

I am :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mexicans are Hispanic.

Hispanics aren’t always Mexican.

Kinda like Kenyans are Africans.

Not all Africans are Kenyan.

Maybe this’ll help.

11 Likes

Hispanic is a term that encompasses multiple ethnicities, including Mexican. Hispanic is about language and cultural identity, not race or ethnicity.

8 Likes

That’s strange. I’m Asian but I often get mistaken by an Eastern European because I don’t look Asian at all.

1 Like

I’m sorry but no one can be this…–dense. What type of logic is that? That’s like saying the Chinese is the only Asian. Mexicans aren’t the only Hispanic and to think that is really beyond me. Just like Nigerians aren’t the only Africans. You need to realize there are other ethnicities in terms use for them.

7 Likes

I think everytime they finds something online they makes a topic about it. But I understood what you mean and I think that too.

5 Likes

Dude.

1 Like

Im Hispanic but not Mexican, I’m Spanish. But I’m still Hispanic.

4 Likes

When people say that but or deadass honest about I get so freaking mad

4 Likes

Actually, Hispanic is an ethnic group and Mexican is one group amongst many that can be classified as Hispanic.

So it’s actually Hispanic is an ethnicity, and Mexican is a group of people in that ethnic group.

"Mexicans are Hispanic.

Hispanics aren’t always Mexican."

^ Basically.

7 Likes

Some people can be ignorant. Sorry Mexicans are not low lives. I am not Mexican I’m Puerto Rican. But people who have that view its just plain ignorant. Not calling you ignorant just in general. Mexicans are Hispanic. Some people get offended because of so much stereotypes going on in this world.

2 Likes

I am Puerto Rican too. It upsets me to see so many ppl thinking that Puerto Ricans are the same as Mexicans when we have a LOT of differences. Each and every culture is not the same at all, regardless of “looks”.

2 Likes

Yes, I have been called a mexican. And it was because I was speaking spanish. There are alot of different types of hispanics. Dominicans, Cuban, Ecuadorians, Guatemalans, The list goes on. And even though we all speak spanish we all use words differently. The culture itself is different.

2 Likes

What am I If I’m Colombian?

Hispanic or like…?

I know I’m South American tho.

3 Likes

Exactly, there are many different types of Spanish. We can also use the same words but they would have different meanings and would be used differently by every culture. My best friend who’s in the US told me that at her school, they’re not being educated enough about Hispanics. She’s gotten so angry for being called Mexican so many times. It seems only Mexicans are known about at her place. It’s unfortunate. :frowning:

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

All I know is that I’m Colombian, lmao.
Dunno if that makes me Hispanic or just…South American?
is confused…

3 Likes

3 Likes