Minigames in Stories

As a reader, I like seeing it in mystery stories as like a way to find clues… I also like it being used in dress up games. I can appreciate the effort an author goes to to upload outfits as overlays.

As an author… I’ve used it in a couple of stories already.
One time was a mystery pick, like a lucky draw, so the reader had to pick a piece of paper and each paper gave them a different outcome.
The next time was part of a challenge where the main characters were stealing a car - the cars were tappable overlays - but only 2 out of 5 cars were “stealable”, so the reader would run out of time if they picked the wrong car too many times.
In future, I’m planning to use it in a mystery story as a way to find clues, since that’s what I like reading. And also as part of a menu option like in Televokai

8 Likes

Oh yes, I’ve read The Infected! Definitely a good example imo of how to implement timed choices in a fun way. I’m wondering if it had a bit of inspiration from the Choices app, based on how the timed choices are worded, but the way it was written/directed is very creative in its own right and clearly a labor of love. They did a great job.

I’m definitely struggling too. I really don’t understand how to make a mini game that doesn’t feel like it’s taking away from the fun of the story.

1 Like

There is one in Jalissa’s story. I can’t remember the name.

Absolutely. I’m thinking a big part of why it gets old is that those kinds of games usually require you to do guesswork and that’s not much fun for me. For example: “Do you turn left or right on the path? Okay, now do you go straight or go left?” and so forth. In the end, it becomes a chore, because there’s no level of brainwork involved. You can’t possible know if something like straight or left is the better option.

That might not be what you mean, but that’s what comes to mind when I think of minigames where you continuously have to start over.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I mean :rofl:

1 Like

I love the concept of tappables in mystery stories. It works very well with the genre. :slight_smile: Wish you the best if you decide to write that mystery! And here’s a link to the “main menu” coding trick Vaena has graciously shared with us, if you’re struggling.

2 Likes

Forever Young, I think?

1 Like

Yep. I knew it had “Young” in it, just couldn’t remember where.

1 Like

Thank you! And hehehe, I’ve had that bookmarked for a few months now lol :laughing:

3 Likes

I don’t know about tappable overlays :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:, but I did use my own overlays. Sorry, this is going back a year now, but as for minigames, I did create an escape room in one episode. Every choice (clue/action) took a certain amount of time, and that was done by using the points system and whether you passed or failed the room. :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

2 Likes

They’re pretty neat! Tappables are very adaptable and, like a couple others have said, you can use them for making timed choices in real time, various minigames, or even just exploring a room. It’s the same concept as “tapping” a choice, but for overlays. I just wish it would be released from beta testing. :pensive:

I like the concept of your escape room! It reminds me a little of the Don’t Escape indie game series with how you coded it so that x decision costs y amount of time.

3 Likes

Bump! :joystick:

1 Like

Well, as a reader I would like to see something new 🤷🏼 anything that will surprise me :grin:
And as an author, I don’t plan my minigames either. I just published a story with lots of minigames and I went back like 3 times and created a minigame where it wasn’t supposed to be because as you said I was like oooh this kind of minigame would fit there :smile:

1 Like

My timed choices are definitely inspired by Choices. I love their timer, the official one on Episode looks so clunky, which is why I still make my own by uploading the choice buttons as tappable overlays😂

The way they’re worded is actually because you need to give the reader a heads up that they’re coming, but announcing them every time would break the flow of the story, so you kind of have to imply they’re coming without contrived narration. The writers at Choices probably think the same way, so it’s kind of a natural progression to that kind of wording.

As for other mini-games (and speaking of being Choices inspired) I’m thinking of a way to use tappables to make choices that have a 50/50 chance of succeeding. Or a certain percent chance of succeeding based on points, so the result would be different each time you replayed. I have an idea on how to do this, but I haven’t tested it yet.

3 Likes

:scream: OMG, I didn’t know that’s how you did it, but now that makes so much sense

2 Likes

The Episode timed choices automatically default to the last choice if you run out of time, which is the main reason I still do it. I sometimes want to use a unique option if the reader doesn’t pick in time… and eventually readers would learn not to pick the last choice, since it would always be the “do nothing” option :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Yes, me. I am that reader! Picking the first option always helped me remain calm during timed choices… I guess not anymore :grimacing:

4 Likes

Love it! I’m a big fan of Choices, so I thought there were some similarities. Your timed choices have a really nice flow to them.

When I mentioned wording, I was thinking more along the lines of how some of your timed choices are like this: “Fly!” “Fall!” “Falter!” All of the options are short, but if someone’s trying to pick the right choice in a hurry, they might press the wrong one without thinking. So it’s fair, but still functions as a good timed choice. What were you meaning, if you don’t mind my asking?

I think the percentage rate sounds like a cool idea! I’ve seen something similar in some Choice of Games/Hosted Games stories (text adventures), but I’m not sure what their method is. If you look into how they did theirs, it might help you figure out what your own coding in Episode needs to be.

3 Likes

Ahh, I see what you mean! I was talking about the lead up to the choices (that lets you know they’re coming). I do want to use more alliteration like that :joy:
But I also have many readers who aren’t native English speakers, so I try to keep the options short and literal.

For the code for the choices with certain percentages of success, I’m thinking about having two invisible tappable overlays over the choice button that lead to different options, and switch back and forth in a continuous loop at a high speed (like 0.05 seconds each of its a 50/50 chance), and I’ll use a conditional to decide how long each one stays there… like maybe if you have over 10 points with a character, the overlay that leads to the good option stays over the choice button for 0.06 seconds and the bad option stays for 0.04, for a 60% chance of getting a good result.

3 Likes

Timed choices! For example, (just an idea, not something I’m thinking of doing) you’re on the run from something, and every few seconds or so, you have to say, jump, run, or dodge past an obstacle. Choices are timed to make the reader click quickly. That would be so interesting!

I gotta say tappable overlays are my favorite, though. They have so much versatility in them. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes