More writers than coders? Are there coders who just enjoy coding and not so much writing?

Long title, sorry. I write professionally so writing comes easy for me, but I’ve tried coding (test) and it exhausted my brains and eyeballs - so much kudos to those who do amazing coding. Seriously you guys come from a planet of genius and patience.

Judging from the posts here, am I correct to say there are way more writers than good coders? Are there coders who prefer just to do coding and get a thrill out of challenging themselves to be better at just coding?

5 Likes

i write and code and if i have to be honest, coding is very complicated and can easily tire you out. spending 5+ hours on a mere second scene is a daily routine for advanced coders, making writing way more easy for me. coding is fun though, and the feeling of pride you get after finishing a really cool scene is just :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

5+ hours for a one-second scene? OMG. Must be some complicated coding (which will probably look super kickass in the end).

4 Likes

I already know languages like python and javascript so other than a few weird syntax choices (like why is the readermessage command in camel case but nothing else is) donacode is p easy in comparison. I like doing crazy cinematographic shit and my dialog gets kind of garbage so it balances it out, def feel like coding branches and storylines is the best part about episode

1 Like

Ah, okay. No wonder it feels so foreign to me. I love dialogue, mapping characters’ arcs, their relationship to each other, exposition (though Episode isn’t a great platform for too much exposition), everything you’d find in a screenplay.

a lot of authors in the instagram episode community are always posting stories about how the script lags or gives them an error because they have so much complex coding :sob: i’m not that much of an advanced coder, but a scene with multiple overlays that i have to direct does take me a couple of hours (but they are at least a couple of seconds). examples of 1 second scenes could be using separate eyes, nose, lips, and jaw overlays in order to show a custom expression, or limbs for a custom animation (they look SO complicated though, i would literally die 10 minutes into the coding)

1 Like

I don’t even have 5% of your skills, lol.

1 Like

aww, that means a lot :white_heart: if you need any help with coding, feel free to reach out to me!

1 Like

Lol, that would be me :sweat_smile:
I write stories on my own in which I write and code, then I also have a joint account with a friend, where she writes most if not all of the dialogue and narration and I just come in to direct. I really enjoy that a lot because I can just focus on trying to get a scene to look visually appealing and I find it therapeutic where I don’t really have to think much

4 Likes

That’s so cool! Wish I had someone like you, lol.

1 Like

Hmu in the new year :eyes:

Edit: THIS ONLY APPLIES TO MAES BECAUSE I THINK SHE’S COOL. NOBODY ELSE HMU

1 Like

Ooh! I’m gonna take your word for it! :smiley:

1 Like

I sort of have an advantage because I’m very familiar with coding interactive fiction games outside of Episode, so doing complex coding and branching isn’t new to me. :stuck_out_tongue: Episode’s code requires a bit of a learning curve but it’s still highly possible to make huge branches. Just requires a strategic use of gain flags.

2 Likes

Getting a tricky coding scene just right is so satisfying. When that happens I just play it over and over again out of relief.

9 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner category. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

I mean I can code, I just procrastinate for about 192874875 hours first and whine the entire time.

4 Likes

It actually takes me a whole day to two days to code a whole episode, it’s really complex but so much fun once I get into it

2 Likes

You said it all.
I do more of writing so I suck at coding but the accomplishment I feel after completing a scene is so so great.
Although It’s complicated, I want to challenge myself to do better next scene. The challenge is what keeps me going

2 Likes

I thought that 5-hour thing was just me being incompetent :frowning:

2 Likes

:joy: hola that would be me. I love challenging myself and using tons of overlays and trying to make a simple scene much more advanced and better than it is

1 Like