Mouth Moving Overlays

Hey lovelies,

So the past few months I’ve had many requests to do a tutorial on how to code mouth moving overlays. I did do I quick tutorial over on my instagram but many people have been messaging me saying that it didn’t make a lot of sense, so I’m here to try and explain better!

Disclaimer: this type of coding is pretty hard and I don’t recommend if you’re a new author who hasn’t experience coding before!! Also if you use my template you MUST give me credit as it took me a lot of time to learn and code this myself!!!
Credit me through my instagram: @epy.emilywhitehead

I’m gonna do this in little step by steps so you can follow along…

1. Create your overlays (I suggest making them all the same size so you can just spot direct it once and copy and paste the rest of your coding into your script for the other overlays, this type of coding already takes up a lot of time so it takes off a lot of time).
  2. Have as many mouth movements as you like but I recommend having 3 (including one closed mouth) because my template only includes three and upload them to your episode account.
  3. Create the overlays in your script and spot direct them, copy and paste the spot direction for each overlay (if they’re the same size, if not just spot direct them separately).
  4. Layer the overlays with the closed mouth overlay underneath all the other mouth moving overlays because this overlay will stay at opacity 1 while the mouth moving direction is happening. I’ll give an example of this…

@overlay MOUTH CLOSED moves to layer 1
@overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 moves to layer 2
@overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 moves to layer 3
Depending on which overlay you want to show when the mouth isn’t moving (which most of the time it’s the mouth closed overlay) keep all the others at opacity 0.

1. If you wish to use my template then copy and paste it into your script and change the overlay names to the ones you have used. When you read the template you’ll notice that I only mention 2 overlays, these will be the mouth open overlays. I don’t need to mention the mouth closed overlay because it will show when both overlays are at opacity 0 during the command (you don’t need to worry about this because I’ve already coded it for you, all you need to do is make sure that the overlay that has the mouth closed is at opacity 1 and behind the other mouth moving overlays)

AGAIN IF YOU USE MY TEMPLATE PLEASE GIVE ME CREDIT FOR MY OWN WORK! You can credit me through my instagram @epy.emilywhitehead

Here is the template:

&overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 opacity 1 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 opacity 0 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 opacity 1 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 opacity 0 in 0.1 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 opacity 1 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 opacity 0 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 opacity 1 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 opacity 0 in 0.1 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 opacity 1 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 opacity 0 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 opacity 1 in 0 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 opacity 0 in 0.1 then pause for 0.1 then overlay MOUTH OPEN 1 opacity 0 and overlay MOUTH OPEN 2 opacity 0

CHARACTER NAME
Dialogue will go here!!

That is the best I can explain it, I’m really bad at explaining things I do apologise. Please let me know if you need any more help with this or don’t understand a certain part that I have mentioned. Finally please don’t forget to give me credit and I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Happy coding :heartpulse:

Instagram: @epy.emilywhitehead

15 Likes