Multiple ending stories?

I’m glad you enjoyed it! Sorry you died :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

It’s fineee but yeah it was good :revolving_hearts::joy:

1 Like

Duemadiri is written by both Corvaena and another author who gets left off a lot for some reason. Her name is Ezwhitney on Instagram.

6 Likes

Thank you for recommending my story! :heart:

3 Likes

I do like multiple endings, although I also think they can be frustrating to have in an Episode story for these reasons specifically:

• (1) Episode has limited replays. If I mess up too much, I may never be able to get “the best ending.” I can’t simply save and reload like I might with other platforms.
  • (2) There is no skip option for dialogue. I don’t really want to go through everything again, but that’s just how Episode works at this point.
  • (3) There are rarely choice guides for various stories. Not that big a deal for a short 3 chapter story, but if it’s 20+ chapters? That’s a lot of time being spent only to find out you got everything wrong.

Just for context, I’m also not the kind of person who enjoys trying different paths just to see what will happen and how my choices will have an effect on the story whether it be good or bad. I personally get attached to characters, so my end goal revolves around trying to get a good ending. Basically, what I find frustrating can simply be part of the game for other people.

Oddly enough, I love impactful dialogue branches. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I do really enjoy these types of stories, UNLESS it’s one of those stories where if you make the wrong choice, you die and the entire story ends (unless the author lets you go back to the choices to redo your decision so you don’t die or anything).

I enjoy those stories where at the end of the story, after you’ve made your choice and the story is finished, the author includes a bonus chapter to let you see how the other endings would have played out, instead of having to replay everything all over again (especially those 50+ chapter stories) and spending passes on episodes where I already know what will happen.

:smile:

2 Likes

Same i strive for a good ending it sucks when i choose wrong and theres a bunch of chptrs

1 Like

I would do this, but it wouldn’t make a lick of sense to the reader my choices are so branching and there are scenes that the reader may have missed/seen based off what they choose.

1 Like

Aww thank you so much for reading and mentioning Haunted: Take Me Home! :smile::purple_heart:

2 Likes

I hear that, but I also think a lot of the times these chapters are clearly outside of the canon or ‘sense’ of the story- they start with authors notes, are labeled as extra, that kind of thing. Usually it’s just a fan service thing, like ‘hey ik you might be curious to read the other endings and i coded them already so choose which you’d like to read’.
So it doesn’t really have to make sense. But I get what you’re saying if like the ending only makes sense if this character was introduced in optional scenes or turned out to be evil or whatever and the reader might not know that.

1 Like

Thank you for the shout out on Eyes of Rain! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all the mentions @Epithet:sob:

@Clover-Ross is correct that Duemadiri VN is a coauthored story. It likely causes confusion with that story, specifically, as at the time Erin was inactive on Episode so it is under my username, and she has always been inactive on forums. :slight_smile: It is very clear inside the story that it is not written solely by myself, however, and it is the only story of mine that is coauthored.

As to the coding, yes, my stories all have accumulative code/points where each choice matters and they add up in the end. For the most part I try to make it clear why different choices may have an impact in a negative or positive way, though, and give points accordingly. For example, throw a fork at someone’s head and they probably aren’t going to like you very much. :wink: (You know a lot of you did it anyway, though, haha…)

EDIT
Apparently there is a three reply limit, so adding my response to this one as well for the original post.
@Ivory_Rain:

Ok, to speak on the actual coding more as initially this thread is asking for thoughts and advice-

It is true as mentioned above that one difficult thing in doing multiple endings on Episode is the limitation with only five replays. I did manage to somewhat find a way around this, but the code gets even more crazy.

The best advice I can give if it is your first time attempting to do multiple endings is to keep it very basic. I would suggest handling it in a similar way as some personality quizzes- assign each ending a value and have each choice lean toward one ending or another, and at the end you get the ending with the most ‘points’.

Example:
If END POINTS <1 – > bad ending
If END POINTS =5 --> medium ending
Etc.

I do have more suggestions I could possibly offer if you wanted to tell me more about the actual details of your storyline, but you would have to be comfortable in sharing more of the plot and I would think you would not want that all called out in the forums. So… feel free to DM me if you have questions! I am not on forums nearly as much as I used to be, but you can also reach me on Instagram at @ Corvaena :slight_smile:

Regardless, good luck on what you decide to do!

5 Likes

Thank you for mentioning Telvoikai <3

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes