Murder mystery ideas

So guys, I’m currently writing a mystery story, even though it’s mainly focused on the romance. I planned the plot in general, but if you have any suggestions, I would be very happy??? Your favourite and least tropes? Dos and dont’s?

1 Like

DO’s:-

1. Make sure you leave EVERY chapter on a cliffhanger. That’s the mark of a good mystery story.

2. Use sound effects and music, if you’re comfortable with that. Some authors like to use Spotify playlists, too. Music in general is very good to have.

3. Decide whether you want the main genre and focus to be on mystery or romance. Trust me, getting that out of the way will help a TON.

DON’Ts:-

1. This is mostly personal, but don’t make the main reveal too obvious. Also, don’t make it come right out of nowhere, in the middle of the blue. The AD reveal on PLL is a very good example of that imo.

2. Don’t leave any plot holes. I once read a very very very good mystery that had me hooked. HOOKED. But the finale was dry, and it left a LOT of plot holes, which made me dislike it a bit. So, tie up all your loose ends!

Good luck with your story! Hope this helped! Lmk when you publish! :relaxed::white_heart:

5 Likes

This! I’ve read many mystery stories that were littered with plot holes, ruining the conclusion of the story. I’d also like to add that you should try allowing the reader to engage in the murder mystery. And by that, I mean allowing the reader to interact with clues when analyzing a crime scene of a murder victim. This will help the reader feel more involved and add a bit of a gritty feel to the story.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree! The interactivity available on episode is amazing.
As a reader, that pressures me though. Like, insanely so. :joy: Although that won’t stop me from reading a story!
As a writer, it’s very interesting to code, but a pain nonetheless :joy::see_no_evil:

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much, I’ll let you know :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Makes sense, thank you so much

1 Like