Musicals anyone?!?!

Anyone into musicals? If so which one is your favourite? I honestly find it pretty hard to choose, but I love Waitress, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, and Dear Evan Hanson for starters.

10 Likes

I’ve come across some but never actually viewed. LMFAO. Shrek The Musical

@sofia2

2 Likes

Ahhh the Phantom of the Opera is really good

2 Likes

XD Yas Shrek XD It was pretty good tho XD I’ve only seen a few in person, would love to see more tho.

1 Like

Lmaoooo I wanna watch it :relieved::relieved:
Shrek oPPa

2 Likes

:skull::rofl: dOnkayYYYyyyy

2 Likes

There are three musicals I love: Hairspray, Rent, and Grease. All three have a live version to them. I’ve seen them all! They are good!

Love all three, haven’t seen any live yet. Love Rent especially

1 Like

I like The Phantom of the Opera and Stephen
Ward
by Andrew Lloyd Webber :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Love Phantom, what’s Steven Ward about?

It’s about The Profumo Affair.

“The musical centres on Stephen Ward’s involvement with the young and beautiful Christine Keeler and their chance meeting in a West End night club, which led to one of the biggest political scandals and most famous trials of the 20th century.”

Ooo I’ll definitely have to check that out.

1 Like

Hamilton. and hadestown is some of my favorites

Haven’t got into Hamilton, just listened to the soundtrack of Hadestown and I loved it.

1 Like

I’m a bit ashamed to say my favorite musical is the movie version of Sweeney Todd :sweat_smile:. Not because it’s a good movie, and I know it’s horrible next to the stage versions, it’s purely for nostalgic reasons (also the fact that the movie is 2 hours of Helena Bonham Carter looking pretty in Victorian clothes). Other than that I’d say my favorite is Cabaret, especially the Alan Cummings version. It holds up perfectly even if the version available on YouTube was recorded on a potato.

Also, did anyone see “The Prom”? If you’re in NY and can afford the tickets, FREAKING WATCH IT RIGHT NOW!!! I was a bit against going at first, since it seemed kinda silly and not the kind of musicals I’m into, but it blew my mind. It’s so much funnier than I expected, and heartwarming, and the ensamble is amazing, and I’ve been dying over this musical ever since I saw it.

1 Like

XD Have to agree with Sweeney Todd thoooo, like yeah won’t compare to stage versions but I feel like movie musicals and stage musicals are different categories. It takes similar skills but also different ones, that I feel the two shouldn’t be compared.

1 Like

I feel like they can be compared in certain aspects that can be shared with the stage versions (like characters, story, music)but not things that are exclusive to cinema. For me, my biggest problem with the movie is it’s overall super dramatic and depressing mood. The musical is also a tragedy but it’s most memorable moments come from the comedy, which the movie sincerely lacks. And you can argue that the film was just trying to take a new direction but, if they were, I feel like they wouldn’t have made Sacha Baron Cohen (a man known for his comedic roles) into pirelli since he’s more of a comedic relief in the movie whereas in the stage version, they didn’t need a comedic relief since most of the main characters were pretty funny. I feel like the movie was *trying * to be funny (not as much as the other versions, but still pretty funny) but couldn’t get as many laughs as the play. But maybe that’s just me.

Also, the movie has what I think is the weakest and most boring version of Johanna ever. She does almost nothing other than sing, look pretty, and be dragged around everywhere. At least she had some depth in the other version (with people not even knowing if she even loved Anthony or just wanted a way out) and shooting the man in the Asylum (I forget his name).

1 Like

OMG yes!!! I am super into theatre!

Phantom of the Opera :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah I agree it was like they were trying to hard in a way, however I think the whole comparing movie musicals to stage goes with any that has had that adaptation. Film is something where if a mistake is made, they can reshoot, however one stage if a mistake is made you just have to either roll with it (if it was super noticeable) of move past it and forget it happened for the time being (speaking from personal experience). Not saying it takes more work for stage however the stakes are higher.