Muslim representation: help!

Hey, so I’m writting a story and there’s a muslim girl (a muslim family actually, but the girl is the one that will appear the most, even though she’s not the MC).
I was thinking about making her fall for a non-muslim guy (not have sex or take off her hijab, just fall in the most innocent way possible), do you think this would offend anyone?

PS.: I read somewhere that muslim women CAN NOT marry/date non-muslim guys, but then at another page I read that is not common, but can happen. Is it right?

3 Likes

My family is Muslim and they wouldn’t be offended by it. It ultimately depends on the person itself. My family is fine with me being with non-Muslims but some family’s may be against it. As long as you’re not offending any religious practices or over exaggerating anything I think you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Okay, thank you! :blob_hearts:
This was really helpful :grin:

of course!

1 Like

It doesn’t offend me but I’m not allowed to date or marry a non-muslim unless they are willing to convert. But I like the diversity, make sure it’s good I might read it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1:

2 Likes

Interesting :thinking: Thank you and I’l make sure haha :blob_hearts:

My friend is Muslim, and I’ve seen her without her hijab.

1 Like

That’s really interesting :blush:.Muslim girls can’t marry or date non-Muslim guys unless they convert. But ofc she can have feelings for him. And a note she can’t show her hair unless they marry! Hope this was helpful :cupid:

3 Likes

Really? For what I’ve read that’s really unusual

It helped a lot!! Thank you! :blob_hearts: :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Ohh… well that depends.

Do not make her do or fall prey to the guy. A treat make her have a brain. Do not make her do what most episode female characters do.

She can shy shy like the guy but best keep it to herself. I’m worried if you write or expand it further, it may cause potential problems because we are all so used to seeing love of episode stories. Which is totally opposite the way a Muslim teachings so I’m afraid if you write it, you may end up it this way and that would actually offend people.

And yes, Muslim girls cannot marry and it is not recognise in the Muslim law if she marries a Non-Muslim. The partner has to convert (of course no compulsion in religion so he has to be willing of course. But nonetheless, that is the law.) As a matter of fact, it will be considered haram. There is such a thing in my country and perhaps others:

1. Registration of Marriages (Country state whatever)
  2. Registration of Muslim Marriages

If a Muslim goes for number 2, the certificate of marriage is recognise in number 1 but if a Muslim goes for number 1 it would not be recognise in number 2. Yes they take halal marriages very seriously.

1 Like

That’s not my intention at all! She’ll actually be one of the smartest characters in the story and she’s a second character (and underage), so it won’t show a lot of her story and this guy
Thank you for the info! :blob_hearts:

1 Like

No problem. Thank you for sharing. I just have to raise that concern because at times, we as authors may not know it but may unintentionally offend different parties so good to help each other :smiley:

1 Like

Yesss, is always good to seek help about something we don’t know so we won’t offend anyone haha

1 Like

We were at a sleep away camp and she’d gotten out of the shower

1 Like

She’d take it off in the girl dorms. I saw it several times and was confused XD

1 Like

I mean, if she’s comfortable with that I guess it’s okay, right? haha

Yeah, she wasn’t bothered at all

1 Like

Of course not! Why would it? It’s a great idea for your story! :+1: :hamburger:

1 Like

Great! Thank you :blob_hearts:

1 Like