Mystery-Looking For Stories To Review

Review Policy:

I review the first episode of a story. If your story has less than three episodes, please wait until it’s longer.

I post the review here and on my Instagram page for published reviews only so please be ok with that when requesting a review. My Instagram page is @penspaperanddreams. If you want a shoutout, please include your Instagram.

I don’t evaluate cover art or special art as I feel that’s too subjective.

Genres Accepted: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery and Romance. I have the right to deny any story that I feel I’m unable to give a proper review.

Published: I previously accepted unpublished stories, and I’m now only accepting published stories. I accept limelight, ink, classic and spotlight styles.

Following policy: I follow all authors I review regardless of the score they’re given. My instagram is public, so if you’d like to follow me, you can.

Ratings: I only post public reviews for stories that receive a 8/16 or higher. If it’s lower, I send the review via private message.

2nd Review Request: I only accept second story review requests when posted. Otherwise, stories are only reviewed once.

Story order: I Stories in the order requests are received in the following genre orders (fantasy, action, romance and mystery) I select the oldest request first for each of those categories.

Contest Entries: I will be accepting contest entries in a separate review request category and those will receive priority reading order over non-contest entry stories after the H & V contest ends.

Hi there!
Thank you so much for creating this thread. This is my first story and I’d love to get some feedback!
Here are the details of my story:

Title: H & V: Lie to Me
Author: Alexandra Mar
Genre: Mystery/Drama with romantic subplots
Description: After only serving 3 years of a 25 to life sentence, Aiden Suarez is mysteriously released. But wait, what’s that? Oh right, “Aiden Suarez” no longer exists.
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6378501067505664

H & V: The Hacker Chronicles.
Genre: Adventure
Follow three best friends on an epic post-apocalyptic quest to find the rightful heir to the throne!
Style : ink
Instagram: @episode.nikkiloreal

Choices Matter You Play All Three Characters

I would love it if you read my story!
Here are my story details!

Title: H & V: Deadly Love
Author Name: Afra S.
Description: Adriana is preparing for her wedding unaware of her past which isn’t as normal as she thinks. After a meeting with her parents she discovers a secret which changes her life forever.
Chapters: 3 chapters (Ongoing)
Genre: Fantasy/Romance/Mystery (You will find it in the Fantasy section)
Style: Ink
Additional details: Includes character customization, LGBT love interests, Your choice matters.
Instagram: @episode_afra
Story Cover:
Story Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5352352244957184

Story Small Town Secrets
Author Khadijah O.
Genre Drama/Mystery
Style Limelight
Link
http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5866963191595008
Art
Remember_Me_au_posterThumb_Zt0gPik0Pv

Your review is posted on Instagram. If you happen to have an Instagram handle, please let me know so I can tag you!

Story Review for Alexandra Mar

Title: H & V: Lie to Me
Author: Alexandra Mar
Genre: Mystery Drama with romantic subplots

Description: After only serving 3 years of a 25 to life sentence, Aiden Suarez is mysteriously released. But wait, what’s that? Oh right, “Aiden Suarez” no longer exists.

Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6378501067505664

Visuals- Great job with directing- I know how time consuming and challenging it can be. I think you made great use of the tools provided by Episode and I felt really engaged because of it. The overlays and backgrounds were unique and really enhanced the story. I think readers will appreciate the customization options as well. There were a lot of flashbacks, which I didn’t particularly like but they were still well done and relevant to the story.

Story- I think this is an area that was both good but also could use some revisions. Both of the characters (Mia and Aiden) are very interesting in their own right. However, because the chapters are so long, I felt myself forgetting what happened to the previous character because I was so engrossed in the story of the current character. I completely understand the desire to have the reader play both characters and it makes sense as the story develops. However, I would suggest cutting each chapter by 1/2 in length for both of the characters stories which would make the chapters shorter by default. This makes it much easier to keep up with the switching of the characters and allows the reader to become easily invested in both characters and not just one or the other. Otherwise, the pacing, plot twists and character development is excellent.

Language- There were a few minor misspellings but not enough to actually dock points off. The dialogue is realistic and interesting. You’re able to tell a story well.

Choices- I think this was well done. You were able to get the right amount of choices without overdoing it and make the reader feel like the choices made a difference. I would suggest that your gold choices have proper grammar and punctuation since the tone of this story is a bit more on the serious side.

Overall Score: 15/16- If you’d like a story that builds up the drama and mystery, this is a great one to read!

Thank you so much for the review! It really, really, REALLY means a lot to me! I will take your notes into consideration to improve the story. I didn’t notice the impact chapter length was having in retention, this is very useful feedback! I will a find a way to cut down future chapters. I am currently going over my script again to correct grammar and misspelling issues.
I don’t have IG, but since I am being asked about it quite often, I will be creating one soon. I’ll let you know one I do :slight_smile: Once again, thank you for your thorough and honest feedback. :hearts:

So glad I could help! And not a problem at all! If you do get it, let me know and I’ll add it. Thanks!

Hi! Do you have an Instagram handle you’d like to be tagged at?

@Khadijah.episode

Hi @Nicoleloreal

Here’s your review!

H & V: The Hacker Chronicles
Genre: Mystery/Adventure

Description: Follow three best friends on an epic post-apocalyptic quest to find the rightful heir to the throne!

@episode.nikkiloreal

Visual: I think your directing is well done here and it’s clear that you put effort into your characters. There are a few parts where the characters seem to be frozen or “just stand there”, when the MC is talking to her friend.

Story: I can see the potential of the story, you have in progress. I do think that you can make a few changes to engage the reader better in the 1st chapter. One suggestion would be to perhaps modify the classroom setting. I was confused as to whether or not there were flashbacks of the MC herself or it was the history of the country instead. This could be a pacing issue. I also wasn’t really connecting with any of the characters; so I would try to maybe give more background or perhaps find additional ways for the reader to immediately be invested in their story.

Choices: N/A. There weren’t any that I saw in the first episode so I’m not including this category.

Language: There wasn’t any incorrect grammar but the scene with the servant and the princess was a bit confusing because of the stilted formalized language. I understand why you did it so I would just suggest trying to perhaps reword it so it’s a bit clearer.

Hi Everyone,

Just an update, I’m going to posting reviews solely on my Instagram. I will check this thread occasionally for requests, but the best way to ask for a review is to DM me on Instagram @penspaperanddreams.

Thanks and I’m so looking forward to your stories!

Your review is posted on Instagram!

@penspaperanddreams

Some people have requested I keep posting here since they don’t always have Instagram. So I’ll oblige:

Decided to switch things up and post as a I review. I did want to post certain genres per day but my schedule is getting crammed. Sorry about that!

Story Small Town Secrets
Author Khadijah O.
Genre Drama/Mystery
Link

@Khadijah.episode

Visual- i found the visuals appealing and the backgrounds were exceptionally nice. I like the limelight choice for this story as it totally fits the vibe. The directing is smooth.

Story- I’m getting PLL (Pretty Little Liars) vibes here which I love! The characters are relatable and the story is just so intriguing from the get go. I love the cliffhanger ending! As a mystery, pacing can be a difficult thing for many authors but you did a perfect job with it.

Choices- I felt that the choices really did matter. It can be difficult to include the right amount of choices or any at all in the first episode, but you did it well.

Language- I didn’t find any grammar or spelling issues

Overall score: 16/16

Thank you so much for the positive review!

@Ryan please close this thread

I’m only accepting contest entry requests. Thanks!

Closing per OP request :v:t2: