Myths and Legends

Anyone into myths? Zeus? Hades? Aphrodite?

What’s your favorite myth? Least favorite? And why!

2 Likes

I like the Persephone and Hades myth. It was one of the first myths I read, so it’s kinda nostalgic for me.

I dislike the Jocasta myth. (I think it’s a myth, I’m not sure though.) It’s just a sort of disturbing myth.

How was it disturbing?

i like the persephone & hades one as well like the person above said.

definitely my favorite to research & wonder about, & i love greek mythology.

Mythology is kind of, philosophical in a way. At least I think so.

1 Like

This is the myth;

Jocasta and Laius, rulers of Thebes, had a prophecy that their son would murder Laius. After a drunken night, they conceived a child, named Oedipus. They gave this child up to a shepherd who was supposed to abandon the baby. The shepherd ended giving the baby to a herder, the baby was raised by the rulers of Corinth. (The herder’s master was King Polybus of Corinth.) Oedipus went to an oracle and learned that he was going to murder his father and marry his mother. Hearing this, Oedipus left the kingdom as he thought that Polybus and Periboea were his parents. While traveling, Oedipus met Laius. Oedipus refused to yield with Laius and ended up killing Laius. Oedipus traveled to Thebes and learned that a sphinx was causing chaos. Creon, brother of Jocasta, was told to give the throne of Thebes and Jocasta as wife to the person who rid the Sphinx. Oedipus solved the riddle and became king of Thebes. Famine descended upon the city and Oedipus wanted to find out why. Oedipus found the truth and that the devastation was caused by his patricide and incest. Jocasta, upon learning of the truth committed suicide and Oedipus gouged out his eyes.

You can see why I thought it was disturbing, especially near the end.

1 Like

yeah, i think that’s part of the reason why i love it. i like things that lean that way, i suppose.

I’ve always liked the myth of Atlas, holding
the celestial heavens on his shoulders for eternity. He could not put down the sky until someone took his place. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not Greek but it is a myth so I feel like it’s relevant (we need more love for myths outside the Greco-Roman pantheon anyway ma’right?)

Coatlicue is on the Allstar team for sure, she’s the goddess of the earth, the mother of basically everything and she rocks the most badass outfit in the Aztec pantheon. She wears a skirt of writhing snakes and a necklace of human skulls, hearts and hands. She’s representative of both the cradle and the grave, destruction and creation, she rules fire, fertility, death and rebirth.

She was impregnated by a ball of feathers and her other kids were like “Jezebel!”, and tried some clownery. Her daughter Coyolxauhqui, who lead Coatlicue’s other 400 sons, decided to honer kill her but surprise, bitch! Huitzilopochtli (god of the sun, god of war, god of human sacrifice) burst from Coatlicue’s head fully formed and armed and cut off his sister’s head. He threw it into the sky and it became the moon, while his brothers ran south in fear and became the stars.

i love greek mythology! i remember that my mom used to read me myths when i was younger. my favourite ones are about persephone and hades, but one about echo too!

I love mythology. Persephone and Hades is also my favourite. Athena’s myths are good ones too.
The one I dislike the most is Paethon, Apollo’s son who rode Apollo’s charriot :cry:

I actually like Hades as well…his idgaf attitude is probably why lol

1 Like

This…sounds so sad :disappointed:

1 Like

Yeah, I can see that. Actually, I’m sure many probably think the exact same thing.

Your summary of this :joy::joy::joy:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.