Name input for multiple characters

What if I want to have the name input for multiple characters? What should I do and how should I do it?

2 Likes

You should write different words in the input’s bracktets, and then you have to change the character’s display name to what you wrote.

For example, for one character, you write:

input What's Your First Name?|What's Your First Name?|Done(FIRSTNAME)

After that, you write FIRSTNAME as that character’s display name.

Then for a second character, you write:

input What's Your First Name?|What's Your First Name?|Done(FIRSTNAME_1)

And again, you write FIRSTNAME_1 as that character’s display name.

1 Like

Also I would like to know how you do name input for a last name and I would like to know how to get the chosen name (of which the reader chooses) to appear in the speech bubble.

1 Like

You do it the same way just put

|What’s Your Last Name|

Everything is almost the same

Should I use the code (LASTNAME)?

Yes. Exactly like (FIRSTNAME) just change it to last.

Just one more question when I’m typing in the dialogue for the characters, do I type in the codes [FIRSTNAME], [FIRSTNAME_1], [LASTNAME], [LASTNAME_1], etc. ?

When you want the character to talk, you’ll need to use the character’s script name, but if you want someone to say the character’s name, you’ll need to write [SCRIPT NAME].

For example:

CHAR1 (animation)
Hi, my name is [CHAR1].

It will automatically change to the name the readers chose.

So how exactly should I write out the character’s name? Should I write it out as [CHAR1], [CHAR2], etc. ? Or should I write it out as [SCRIPT NAME], [SCRIPT NAME_1], etc. ?

When I write CHAR1/CHAR2 I’m referring to the character’s script name; since I don’t know how your characters are called I just use those names

When you code you always need to write your character’s script name.

So, if you want the character to talk, you don’t need the brackets, just write the line as you normally code dialog. Now, if you want the character’s display name to be said, you’ll need to write that character’s script name in between brackets [-]

I’ll show you how to code in changing names for 2 characters. In the following example, we’ll rename the characters YOU and CHAD. This includes changing the display name for both characters.

input Type in a first name. | Type in a first name. | Done (YOU)
input Type in a last name. | Type in a last name. | Done (MC_LAST)
input Type in a first name. | Type in a first name. | Done (CHAD)
input Type in a last name. | Type in a last name. | Done (LI_LAST)

YOU
Now you're just winding me up! [YOU] [MC_LAST], really?

CHAD
Woah, [CHAD] [LI_LAST] is so rad!

So if the following was entered for each input: YOU = Vlad, MC_LAST = the Impaler, CHAD = Yogi, LI_LAST = Bear. Then the following dialog lines would show as:

VLAD (above the speech bubble)
Now you're just winding me up! Vlad the Impaler, really?

YOGI (above the speech bubble)
Woah, Yogi Bear is so rad!

~

If you want the reader to have the option of picking a default name or typing in a name, then I highly recommend the following code, note that the character script name, choice in brackets and input in brackets have to match for this to work, for the first name. For the last name, only the choice in brackets and input in brackets have to match:

YOU
What do you wanna call me?
choice (YOU)
"Alice" {}
"Type in a name." {input Type in a first name. | Type in a first name. | Done (YOU)}

YOU
Okay then, what's my last name?
choice (MC_LAST)
"Cooper" {}
"Type in a name." {input Type in a last name. | Type in a last name. | Done (MC_LAST)}

You can replace Alice and Cooper with whatever you want, you can also have more than one default name. Now be very careful what you type between the quote marks, if you typed Jeremy., then Jeremy. with the full stop will be their name.

Thanks and I’ll remember to look at this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.