Naming characters - What's your process?

Disclaimer: I know some authors give readers a choice to name their characters, but this topic kind of doesn’t apply to those.

Are you the type to go all out and do extensive research, look up meanings (and origins) to ensure it fits the theme, possibly even match the main character’s and love interest’s name by rhyming or something?
Or do you simply just pick whatever name you find fitting/attractive enough and go with the flow?

I’m in the process of revamping my unpublished story and being a (lazy) perfectionist, I’m doubting my character names. Mostly cause my main leads may have similar names or some characters start/end with the same letter – It’s chaos over here. And changing character names means redoing script/outfits names, creating duplicates etc – It’s just a whole lot of daunting. :smiling_face_with_tear: Not sure how to get out of this pickle, but I’d love to hear how any of you choose your character names. (Probably by doing a better job than I do)

6 Likes

honesty it just comes to mind or if I make a character and it looks like another character.
That’s probably not right to do.
An example would be I make a blond boy with green eyes and I name him Adrain because of Miraculous ladybug. lol
or if I am trying to make an ethnic character I think are they adopted (because then I can name them anything) or where are they from because could make them something regional
the only thing I don’t like about a characters name if its hard to pronounce or is spelled so weird I don’t know how to say it. Because im a dyslexic dummy and will ponder on how to say it and wastinge time

hope that helps~

5 Likes

I always research first names & last names! I tend to pick what draws my attention, especially names that I’d find attractive for my MC and LI. They don’t have to match, I try to keep them different because they are not the same person so it’s better to differentiate them! Also, when choosing I make sure it’s not a common name used in episode stories, this way people would want to read your story as your characters! Names can match personalities, so If you’re really picky try to go for names that can give off different vibes.
I agree about looking up names based on the meanings, because this can be relevant to your storyline! It doesn’t have to be something complicated, just go for a simple but unique name.(:

3 Likes

I pick names that sound cool/fit the setting (i.e. modern vs futuristic), which can be very funny if I don’t know the name’s meaning and realize said character’s name doesn’t match their personality :skull:

2 Likes

I just go with what fits the character’s looks, personality, and ethnicity.

My main characters:
Daniela- It sounds classic, feminine, and pretty, and she’s Mexican-Colombian so it fits her ethnicity
Asher- He’s a southern country white boy, and it’s a cool name for a cool, laid-back dude. It was actually pretty popular in 2021 Episode stories, but that doesn’t really matter because I like it.

I usually research meanings much later, just for the heck of it.

2 Likes

YES. Since I usually write in the fantasy genre, it’s the part that I prefer the most when planning stories. I don’t necessarily do it every single time, but a good portion of my characters has names whose meanings are relevant to who or what they are in the story. I like to research multiple languages with meanings, or if I can’t find a name with the general meaning I want, I’ll usually switch to how it sounds instead. I think it makes a nice little easter egg to those who pay enough attention.

2 Likes

My character names always have a purpose to them. Since I usually build in a certain amount of mystery to most of my stories, I like to drop a lot of subtle hints about what’s going on. One of the ways I do that is with character names. The name meaning is usually directly tied to the character in some way. For instance, I have one character who’s incapable of dying and her name means eternal/immortal, and another that is secretly a twin and their name means twin.

Also, you can change character names without having to change scripts and outfits and whatnot. All you need to do is change the Display Name in the character panel in the portal. Hope that helps! :grin:

3 Likes

i think when I plan my story, and the characters personalities the names just come to me. Usually I know when a characters name is right, and it fits them. I will just look up a list of names and scroll until i see the one i know is right for the character but usually I have it before it gets to that point. I only research meaning and origins if the characters name is going to be important to the story.

2 Likes

I look up meanings for fun and discover that a character’s name means “Happy tree” or something :skull:

2 Likes

stop my name doeS mean tree

1 Like

I love your logic! And it’s pretty much what I’m doing right now - I love it when the smallest details regarding characters and the plot as a whole can make the whole story come together - as if it’s all connected which makes it all the more satisfying!

I contemplated doing so, I just hope I don’t get confused with the different script names and display names :woozy_face: Thank you, though! :blob_sun:

1 Like

I love it when things just work out without any hassle!

1 Like

me too! It never seems to go that way though lmaoo

1 Like

And it’s a pretty name!

1 Like

thank you! My mum names me after buffy the vampire slayer sgdjndb

1 Like

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/ :upside_down_face:

Not gonna lie, I spent like two hours on this trying to find a name I saw fit :face_with_hand_over_mouth::sparkles:

2 Likes

Ngl I only know when I have made a good well rounded character when the name comes to me? Like when making my MC I kinda just let random sounds and words roll off my tongue and boom, a name came out and I just repeated it, having a feel for it- I liked the energy her name had so I kept it!

-With surnames, I do a bit of research especially when its an ethinic character that i am specifically incorporating their culture into their background y’know?

2 Likes

Absolutely! I always make sure to prioritise that when it comes to assigning names to characters.

2 Likes

No plan but I did pick the name of the MC and LI as they are the first and last names of one of my favourite adventure game characters. The rest I just made up as I went along.

1 Like