Need an opinion real quick

So my plan for my story is to kill off one of the main characters. The way he dies is not the problem, I have a thoroughly thought-out plan for how it would happen.

My question: would you continue reading a story if a well-loved main character was killed off in the middle of the story in kind of an abrupt way (while still making sense in the context of the story). It would obviously have devastating effects on other main and side characters, I’m just wondering if that’s something that readers would turn away from so I know if I should go through with my plan.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

1 Like

oh i would defo read. tbh i love stories where this happens. It’s both devastating but it makes the story more real because things can go wrong and peopel will get hurt

so yea keep it, ill defo read!

2 Likes

I do, too! Plus my idea of how it would happen make complete sense to the story so it’s not just thrown in there for drama. It happens and it drives the plot forward. I guess I’m just nervous some people are gonna turn away since the character dying is one of the 3 main characters :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I did this in one of my own stories.
It was a well loved female character… she wasn’t a main character, but she was definitely one of the most loveable and I remember how so many of my readers were heartbroken… :pensive: But, regardless of that they said they still loved my story and they remained loyal and even continue reading to this day!

So if your readers are already well invested in your story, then by the time it comes to kill off a much loved character, although they will be sad at the time… they’ll still continue to read.

1 Like

That’s awesome to hear. I’m really nervous about how people will react but this makes me feel much better.

1 Like

I’d read it! Kill them off!

It’s good that it’s planned out and not a random twist. You could add subtle foreshadowing leading up to it and explore each character’s reaction in the aftermath. How are their goals shifted now that this character is gone? What does this mean for the trajectory of the story? How will they honor said character’s memory?

1 Like

While it sounds good in theory and many people say they like it because it’s not typical–simply put, it does hurt. But more importantly, there are a lot of risks with killing off the MC of a story. If you don’t have a character that can step in to be the new MC, to state it in extremely simplistic terms, then you may do yourself a disservice.

It’s different than just killing off a beloved character in my opinion because it’s more about function. If you don’t have a secondary character who you have prepared, even if the readers aren’t aware, who can take or grow into that position of MC, then it might not be the best decision.

I agree with others if it’s not random and just for shock factor, then you’re already off to a good start. However, here’s what I’d ask myself:

Will my story get better after the MC dies? Or do I just want to do it to be different?

Of course, it can work, but it takes a great finesse. Also, your readers will definitely be mad :sweat_smile: But, what you do to channel that emotion you’ve caused is what’s going to make or break it. Definitely depends on your story and how you handle it. Good luck!

2 Likes

Well my story has like one main main character, but there are also two other main characters that are by his side. I’m planning on killing off one of the secondary main characters. This death is used to drive the plot forward.
Thanks so much for the feedback, though!

I’d likely continue reading. While my heart would be “broken”, I would be too invested in the story. Though I would maybe put the story on hold for a bit and continue it later. As long as the story is well directed and makes sense, I’d read it.

(Yes, I’m aware of how dramatic I am :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

Oh yeah this death is coming at the end of a season!

1 Like

Ahhh, what a cliffhanger!! Send me the link to your story when you release it so I can read it and cry :sob: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I absolutely will. Hopefully it’ll be out soon :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I would at least try to continue, though for me the story has to remain good/become better to continue reading the rest of the chapters beyond that point. :+1:

1 Like

Almost all of my favorite stories has a well-loved main character who dies (or the readers believe that the character is dead for a good amount of chapters), and I think it works well if it is planned. Just don’t brush off the death or barely mention it again.

1 Like

Oh obviously. I have it planned out well ahead of time because it’s going to be a vital part of the plot in the final season of my story.

That’s great. It really hurts when a character is killed off seemingly because the author ran out of ideas.

1 Like

Oh I know the feeling. I’m not taking this character death lightly. Like it’s whole point is that it’s the breaking point for one of the other main characters and in a fit of rage he almost does something really stupid which leads to him being arrested.

1 Like

oooo juicy plot

I’d love to be notified when the story is out! You can maybe tag me in your story release announcement post. :grin:

1 Like

I’ll definitely let you know. I’m trying to get it out and at least one or two seasons done by the end of the summer. I’ve got a writing bug right now so hopefully things stick to plan!

1 Like