Need answers for my upcoming story

Alright, I’m basically new to the episode interactive community, I may seem old but I came and I went in a specific time. I’ve been creating a story but if I want to make it good and appreciative. I need a bit of an answer to my questions. Some of you might already know what story, I’m creating. For example @TroubledHeart.Author @lanafrazer_episode (Still didn’t get an answer) @Willowbean (Very helpful) @2frogsnice (He just read the story, me don’t know).

And I’ve been reading @Aurore answers to some people’s stories which I will be taking into consideration in my story.
I have been reading everyone’s option on certain events in a story and I like to do as much research to make my story better for y’all. So, as many hate it and from a certain person, I learned, I need to take as harsh and lot criticism from different people to satisfy my story for them. Through y’all, I might be able to make a story worthwhile. Consider it a kind of teamwork.

So, if we have met in some sort of a thread and you think I’m one of you. I’m not one of you but rather the opposite. I’m at the new league team that none of you know about.
And if your first question is: what my story is about? I can’t tell but by means to bring something to learn aka (criticism aka judgment aka whatever relates to them.)

I will pick people one by one to actually read the story so that I can’t spoil it to the others, not that any of you care about the story that I’m making but that I don’t want everyone to suddenly just know about it.

But I’ll tell you on the genre, It’s completely a dark fantasy story, I don’t know if it will be unique or not (I don’t really care). The story will be a long episode so that none of you keep wasting your tickets on the story because it’s too short and because the story itself requires to be long.

The story doesn’t use curse words ( for religious reason aka no sinning in my case) but it uses words to some degree and some other things that you don’t really wanna know. No, it’s nothing related to dark romance. Nothing related to gang members shooting at each other and then a girl falls in love with mischief boy.

I have no interest in doing those things Although love interest is supposed to be there all together. Remember even if it doesn’t have a gang member shooting at each other. It still takes that but commits it to the next level. If you didn’t understand, it means war between two groups of large people. And because of that, the story ultimately uses multicharacters. This means that the story doesn’t have a clear main character.

Still didn’t understand? In some points of the story, You won’t be just playing as one character because you wouldn’t understand what the story is really about. The main character would have just a limited amount of knowledge and many more reasons that I just forgot while writing this.

Enough said, now the questions that I wanna know.

• When you say a Cliche story, what do you specifically mean?

• What don’t you specifically like about a certain story.?

• Is CAS important for you or can I remove it from my story.?

• Do you like multiple choices? there will be a lot of that in my story.

• When it comes to a romantic relationship, what do you like and what don’t you like?

• What personalities do you hate about a certain character in the story?

• What would you like to happen in the stories?

• If you didn’t understand an explanation in the story, do you want something to back it up or not.

• What makes a story interesting to you.

• Does a character’s death bother you as much?

• A character has an ability to become evil as such and can do certain things that you don’t imagine other authors would implant to their stories. What wouldn’t you like to see.

• The story supports harsh contents, this means imprisonment of certain people and suffering for some and even ultimately death. What don’t you like to see in that story

• The story supports content restriction, in that moment you have to answer honestly that you do not see the contents within the story. (Seriously, they are dark.)

• Is there anything else you would like to add?

2 Likes
  • When you say a Cliche story, what do you specifically mean? a clichi is a thing there is overused like clichi, mafia. been late for school. tragic backstory, not be confused with a trope. a trope is something like the chosen. a trope is something there often apper in stories

• What don’t you specifically like about a certain story.? a good story, charaters I can follow and

• Is CAS important for you or can I remove it from my story.? no but it is for many others, I think if the look dosent matter add CC, if you use art scenes and body overlays then dont. or give a warning that you use those,

• Do you like multiple choices? there will be a lot of that in my story. yes choies is what I am here for

• When it comes to a romantic relationship, what do you like and what don’t you like? I like relationship there seems real, I hate when its love at first sight or only sexual tensions or evry time there is a problem it is solved by said sexual tension and not by actual talking

• What personalities do you hate about a certain character in the story? pity me. if its the poor girl who was bullied evil step parent and death parent. or rich girl who hate her rich life because author thinks her hateing it will make her humble it wont it make her sound like a spoiled brat

• What would you like to happen in the stories? the story you say you wanna use multiple mane charaters, there story has to fit togheter, I wanna see diffrent personalities, evryone is there own person

• If you didn’t understand an explanation in the story, do you want something to back it up or not.
    dont understand qustion

• What makes a story interesting to you.? thats diffrent. but a good plot and good directing always help

• Does a character’s death bother you as much? not really.

• A character has an ability to become evil as such and can do certain things that you don’t imagine other authors would implant to their stories. What wouldn’t you like to see. I dont know as long as it fit the story its fine

• The story supports harsh contents, this means imprisonment of certain people and suffering for some and even ultimately death. What don’t you like to see in that story. i dont know anything there breaks the guidelines

• The story supports content restriction, in that moment you have to answer honestly that you do not see the contents within the story. (Seriously, they are dark.) i dont understand the qustion

• Is there anything else you would like to add? not really dont know the story

@Explorer2 here,

When you say a Cliche story, what do you specifically mean?
When I say cliche, I mean common things. It is hard to really say exactly what cliche is because there is so much! Most common would be mafia, gangs, gay bestfriend who’s personality is only being gay, bad boy, parents death, pregnancy, etc.

What don’t you specifically like about a certain story.?
I will write a response to this but what do you mean? Do you want me to tell you what I don’t like about 1 story or about some stories in general?

Is CAS important for you or can I remove it from my story.?
I don’t care if CC us Included. For most, it is necessary. But I don’t mind not having it. But if I do have it, I like to create my LI as well.

Do you like multiple choices? there will be a lot of that in my story.
I like having a ton of choices. The name of the app is Episode: Choose your story, so in order to choose my story, I want a lot of choices. Make sure the choices you include are ones that matter, not just outfit choices and things like that.

When it comes to a romantic relationship, what do you like and what don’t you like?
I don’t like cliche romance where the MC and LI fall in love within the first couple of chapters. I also don’t like love triangles.

What personalities do you hate about a certain character in the story?
I hate when the “mean girl” is only here to ruin the MC life. I hate a MC who falls in love even though the LI is a total ass hat. I also don’t like when the bestfriend is only known for being gay. AND I HATE A RUDE MC!

What would you like to happen in the stories?
Please explain this…?

If you didn’t understand an explanation in the story, do you want something to back it up or not.
Example?..

What makes a story interesting to you.
I like fresh stories. I like stories with nice zooms and overlay use, and with choices. I like feeling like I am in control of my story. I like stories that take time to introduce characters and that are not rushed. I don’t like chaotic stories where someothing big happens every chapter multiple times a chapter. I like stories that have a good plot

Does a character’s death bother you as much?

As long as the story is well written and I can feel like the character is close to me. Yes! I can feel the characters death in some stories.

A character has an ability to become evil as such and can do certain things that you don’t imagine other authors would implant to their stories. What wouldn’t you like to see.
I wouldn’t like to see very in detail scenes. I don’t want to hear/read about each detail of someones death etc.

The story supports harsh contents, this means imprisonment of certain people and suffering for some and even ultimately death. What don’t you like to see in that story

As long as the story has a good warning about what will be in the story later on, I am fine in reading that story. Also, as long as there isn’t a very in depth description of what is happening

The story supports content restriction, in that moment you have to answer honestly that you do not see the contents within the story. (Seriously, they are dark.)
Just give the reader to read a less derk version of the scene

Is there anything else you would like to add?
**Make sure that you tell the reader in the very begining what they are about to read. Also, give the reader a choice to skip the scene/see a less gruesome version. I don’t typically skip scenes, but it is important to give certain readers the choice. **

1 Like

When the story has plot points that are either too obvious or has been used too many times - on Episode there’s for example too many of the same mafia stories that follow the exact same structure

What I don’t like? hmm - gotta be unbelievable characters. I can’t enjoy a story if I can’t think of the characters as “real” in a say - if they are too stereotypical or doesn’t have any depth at all. That really pulls me out of a story.

No, not really. I actually prefer that the author chooses the looks (sometimes giving the reader a few options to tinker with) since it sometimes can be more like the main character is more themself - but CC is cool as well!

Yes - it doesn’t have to have a giant influence on the story, I like a story with a lot of tiny choices as well:)

• When it comes to a romantic relationship, what do you like and what don’t you like?

I love when both the characters in the relationship are more than just surface level characters - sometimes one of them is. And realistic relationships, not perfect or love at first sight, they can be cute, but it’s just not what I prefer.

If they act dumb too often or as a way to progress the story or if they lack realism and depth - not to say they can’t act irrational. When I read a story one of the most precious thing to me is the characters. I love stories with well-thought characters.

Really depends on which story type you mean? I like plot twists, good villains and character development.

I don’t really understand, sry:(

The characters of course, the writing, the plot and the theme - i love action, thriller and drama

No! If it’s an action or thriller or something I’d prefer something with lives on the line. Makes it more exciting sometimes.

• A character has an ability to become evil as such and can do certain things that you don’t imagine other authors would implant to their stories. What wouldn’t you like to see.

Sry didn’t understand

• The story supports harsh contents, this means imprisonment of certain people and suffering for some and even ultimately death. What don’t you like to see in that story

I’m fine with the things above as long as there’s a trigger or content warning and that it follows the guidelines

• The story supports content restriction, in that moment you have to answer honestly that you do not see the contents within the story. (Seriously, they are dark.)

sry didn’t understand

Good luck with your story;)

2 Likes

Do you want the story to support content restriction - some answers were yes

What do you expect to happen in the stories that are fantasy-like things?
I think some of you answers where depends

When a character makes something known to the reader by explaining something to another character or that the character realizes what has happened or who did that or who is the enemy. Do you want an explanation at the end of the chapter to understand anything or should I not implant this and leave it as a mystery.

I think that you should leave it as a mystery, then somehow encorperate in into the story later on and explain in then.

Write it as you want. I will not report!

When I hear fantasy, I think magical powers, vampire, werewolf, etc

Basically (for me anyway) a story that uses a overused storyline or trope in it like the mafia, gang, bad boys, sugar daddies, falling in love with my kidnapper ( a personal favourite :roll_eyes:) etc. Cliches if used sparingly or if a twist is added to them can be alright as long as they aren’t downright problematic and encouraging abusive behaviour especially in a relationship.

Basically stories with any of the toxic and problematic themes mentioned in this thread Toxic and Problematic Themes In Popular Stories or this thread Discussion: How Sexual Assault is Portrayed in Stories which I don’t think is asking for too much.

I don’t think it is but from a recnt poll I did and the other feedback I got a lot of people like it or won’t read without it. So maybe limited CC?

Personally I don’t really mind if a story has choices or not ( well, depending on the genre if it’s a romance with one love interest I don’t think it’s all that necessary) but if you are putting choices and saying they matter please make them actually matter. There’s no point giving the illusion of choice. It’s just annoying.

Just it being healthy really. I think I’ve already mentioned my dislikes above, but in case I wasn’t clear I hate toxic relationships with a passion (if they are being romanticised). Oh and like 20 LI’s you just need one or at most 2 but don’t make it a basic love triangle it gets boring. Change it up a bit. Also just make sure nothing is too rushed and you should be good.

People with no purpose other than ruining the MC’s life unprovoked (… why? give me a reason please). When the MC has no backbone. When the LI is useless and annoying. Best Friend’s who are gay or a POC just for diversity but they have no personality other than that. Like sure the best friend doesn’t have to white and straight they can be more diverse but just like give them a personality of some sort. Also when the Mc is borderline just mean and rude, it’s not quirky :roll_eyes:.

I’m not really sure what you mean but I suppose just that it’s well written and planned properly.

I mean I think you are referring to a description. Just make sure you include a good description that hooks readers in.

Good directing and writing along with a good plot that is unique. It’s vague but it’s a pretty vague question.

I prefer when I’ve been made attached to a character and then they die. I like being bothered if that makes sense lol.

Anything too graphic or bad (meaning like entire massacres of innocent people, SA, etc.). You don’t need to go too into detail. That would be a bit disturbing.

I mean in a fantasy story I don’t mind as much. If it was realistic I wouldn’t really agree because not to get too political but I am very much against the death row. As I said if it was a Fantasy where war is happening I don’t really mind.

Give an option to see a lighter version of it. Also make sure to stay in guidelines and give correct TWs.

Not really. Just, good luck with your story :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
    When people say “cliche” stories, they mean badboy/mafia boss/ceo/billionaire and “shy nerdy girl” relationships that are completely predictable. If you want specifics, I’d search cliches to avoid in your search engine. It will explain it better than I can.
    I’m not a big romance reader- but specifically, I don’t like when a story is 90% romance and 10% another genre and it’s placed in the 10% genre. If your story is a romance, put it in Romance. I also do not like teacher/student stories- first, because it’s illegal and wrong to promote to young, impressionable girls that read on the app. And, second, because they are so common on here.
  • Is CAS important for you or can I remove it from my story.? I think that it’s up to the writer- my story doesn’t have any CC because I want my character seen a certain way. There are people who “won’t read” if it doesn’t allow them to customize. Regardless of those people, it really is up to you. If you want people to change your MC and share SS of their changes, go for it- but if you don’t want people to change them? Leave it off.
  • Do you like multiple choices? there will be a lot of that in my story. I think having too many choices is just as annoying as too few. Have a balance, a few questions/choices per episode and make those choices meaningful or have impact on the story (or at least that it appears to have an impact. :joy:)
    I like slow-burn romances, I dislike love-hexagons (or any other shape). There’s nothing wrong with showing one couple and their trials/issues and that true love can/can’t conquer all.
    I don’t really hate any single personality- I hate the lack of personality and character development. Take the time to really develop your characters- give them names, and a background and reasons for their behaviors beyond “tHiS iS sUzY sTuPiD- sHe’S tHe MeAn GiRl WhO hAtEs ThE mC bEcAuSe ShE’s BrEaThInG.”
    That’s completely up to you.
    I think that if you develop your story and put effort into it, then people will understand whatever point or meaning you’re trying to get across.
    Characters- their flaws and strengths. And a well-developed plot where each episode meshes together and make sense.
  • Does a character’s death bother you as much? If they aren’t developed then, nah, not really at all. To make people care about a character’s deaths or struggles, you really do need to plan your story and weave in some details slowly that make the death meaningful or sad to people.
    As long as you avoid sexual assault, I think mean/evil things is fine- just make sure if things could be triggering- use warnings and give people the choice to skip seeing it and give a brief overview if it’s something important to the character or story that happens.
    I think that you need to be very careful how you handle things like this. Slavery and the suffering of people subjected to it should be treated in a respectful way. It shouldn’t be made to believe to be a good thing.
    I think giving people the opportunity to skip certain content is a good idea. However, I think I speak for most when I say that you should think carefully about why you want to add controversial/traumatic or triggering content and be sure to use warnings to make people aware of specific content that you are adding to your story.
    Be mindful of what you are putting out there. No matter your age, there are really young and impressionable readers (both app-wise and forum-wise.). Though we all like to think that kids know the difference between a story and the real world, some do not. It’s up to us, the writers, to keep things as pg as possible on this app. If your story is super dark and contains content more suitable for adult readers, save it for Ivy. :slight_smile:
  1. By definition (yes I looked this up), cliches are overused ideas or concepts in a story. For me, a cliche is something that everyone knows about and is ergo, very predictable in the long run.

2. I usually don’t like stories with an obvious mystery (ironic), pointless romances (like the main LI’s have no connection to the story at all!), or where the drama is needlessly edgy (just for the sake of drama with little to no impact to the plot)

3. It honestly depends on the type of the story, a big reason why a CAS is integral to a story is that a reader can easily immerse themselves into the plot because the character looks like them. It also gives them a sense of familiarity in the story if you allow for customization with other characters, but a CAS just improves on that, and nothing more that I can think of.

4. Yes. especially ones that are stark contrasts to each other. I hate myself for saying this, but an “evil” author is far more better than a “play-safe” one. (pls have mercy on me.)

5. You got that right, I’m personally a slow-burn love type of person, maybe even a friend to lover type romance, I HATE it when: a. I can suddenly read the LI’s thoughts out of nowhere, b. When the romance contributes so little to the plot or a character’s development, c. a romanticized version of “love” where there are no conflicts between the main couple, at all (and this also goes to say about blowing up petty problems as well, and somehow it becomes a major plot point in the story.)

6. I can’t say much about this, and I think this is a problem on its own because there are a lot of stories that don’t elaborate much on the MC’s background, or their background is just told through text exposition. And what’s worse is that it leaves little impact on the readers in the long run. This goes for a lot of the side characters as well, But all I can really suggest on this is please do not make them needlessly petty or leave their development up to the off-screens.

7. I would love to see a story where there are a few chapters dedicated to beloved side characters or even the main LI, and I’d love to see new body types being utilized in the main cast. If there are two perspectives going on, I’d love to see both of the perspectives in separate chapters (if you feel that you need to) or in a bonus scene.

8. If its a concept the readers have to understand, yes, but if it’s just for the fun of a choice, then no.

9. What makes a story interesting for me is how creative the author can get with what episode offers, and how far the author pushes their characters to their limit. For me, you can have a really good concept for a story, but it cannot be good if you play a lot of your cards safe, for the sake of satisfying the majority of your readers.

REMEMBER:
its YOUR story, no one else’s. they can theorize all they want, but ultimately, everything you choose for your story is completely your call (unless you make a big oopsie or met with good points with critics, then you’d have to backtrack a bit and try to fix it)

1. Again, that depends on how well you made the character. if you managed to make them very likable, then yes, I will be very bothered.

11 & 12. I’m all for dark situations and themes as long as they contribute to the whole story or at least the characters’ development, but for the sensitive readers, just put up a warning or an option to skip the scene.

1. I get the feeling that your story is going to be a lot darker than the usual in the app, all I want to add is that please give your story some time to let it breathe for a bit, maybe a bit of happier or comedic scenes that would help lighten the mood, or some time to let the readers assess how bad their situation is in-game, to at least give them time to emotionally recover.

When you say a Cliche story, what do you specifically mean?
For me, I would consider a “cliche story” a story that has over three or more cliches. Some cliches are quite cute or good storytelling devices! I’ll accept, for example, love at first sight and mean girl as long as there’s more to the story than that. However, the second someone adds an overprotective dad or a traditional grandmother I click off - at three or more I can tell that the story is going to be made of cliches.

What don’t you specifically like about a certain story?
I’m quite forgiving, but if I can predict the plot in the first episode (e.g the “big mystery” is painstakingly obvious) then I’m done. Also, kinda obvious but I can’t STAND bad grammar or syntax. Or spelling for that matter (seriously, some people just write in ‘text speak’ too - “C U L8r” etc.)

Is CAS important for you or can I remove it from my story?
It depends on the story - if a character’s appearance - her blue eyes or his race, etc - are important then don’t include it. However, I would recommend letting the reader customize their MC - it helps to draw them into the story. Look up a character customization template - that way you won’t have to do it yourself!

Do you like multiple choices? there will be a lot of that in my story.
YES! I love it when it actually feels like your choice matters! Seriously, go for it - just don’t make life hard for yourself with branching either. :blush:

When it comes to a romantic relationship, what do you like and what don’t you like?
I’ll accept two things - the slow burn or love at first sight. I love both of these - the slow burn feels realistic (though don’t do a will-they won’t-they - I’ll get on to that) and I’m a hopeless romantic so love at first sight makes me go “AWWWWWWW”.
That said, avoid making the slow burn last until the very end of the story. It just feels a little frustrating, especially if there’s only one love interest (which I’m also fine with by the way - especially when the romance isn’t the primary goal of the story).
The only thing I despise with a vengeance is when there’s NO chemistry or even flirting for like 5 chapters and suddenly they’re deeply in love. Establish a connection before that!

What personalities do you hate about a certain character in the story?
I don’t actually hate any traits on their own, it mostly depends on who gets them. Make your villain so evil I can’t WAIT to see him fall and I’ll love the petty jibes and dramatic tendencies :laughing: - seriously I’ve actually gotten so mad at a villain I nearly chucked my phone across the room! But put that in a best friend or love interest? Weird and slightly unsettling. I don’t mind flawed characters so long as that flaw isn’t getting angry for no reason at all - especially if the LI does this towards the MC. Just… no.

What would you like to happen in the stories?
Substance. I’ll take anything with something I can look at from a distance, or muse over at night. And I also like some good foreshadowing for a plot twist - not making it obvious, just hinting. For example, if a character will discover she’s pregnant later, have her wake up in the night and eat a cookie or something while making it SEEM like she’s just got a lot on her mind.
That said, DON’T put a plot twist in like, the last two chapters. I read a story recently that was basically just about a palace maid - fine, I was enjoying myself - but literally, in the second-to-last chapter, it was revealed that she was the heir to the throne and had magical powers! WHY WASN’T SHE USING THEM THROUGHOUT THE STORY WHEN SHE WAS IN DANGER THEN?!

If you didn’t understand an explanation in the story, do you want something to back it up or not.
Yeah… if something is a little complicated, have it reiterated somewhere.

What makes a story interesting to you.
For me, it isn’t set here - ESPECIALLY in a school. I GO to school, I know what it’s like - and as a senior let me tell you we don’t go around forming cliques and rivalries. The YOUNGER years do - they have to establish a pecking order! Seniors sort of band together because… well we’ve been through it all together. Might as well stick together when it counts.
Also this “small town - BIG secret” thing is a bit overdone. I live in a tiny Scottish tourist town and our biggest secret is that hundreds of years ago a woman built a house made of shells in the woods for her kids. That’s it.
Set the story in a fantasy realm, an alternate society, in the past, in the future, on an alien planet! That’ll get me hooked - I want an escape from this ex-fishing village, please!

(Not really, I love my hometown to bits, sorry S********n)

Does a character’s death bother you as much?
A little - it depends on how much I love the story and the character. Once or twice I have gasped when a character is shot or whatever, but I only really get emotional if the character meant a lot - he was the “last hope” or the “glimmer of light” etc.

A character has an ability to become evil as such and can do certain things that you don’t imagine other authors would implant to their stories. What wouldn’t you like to see?
MuRdEr. Haha :joy:, not entirely, unless it works with the story of course! Just a word of warning - don’t make MC go from 0 to 100 without some kind of “backtrack” option. For example, don’t have MC decide to “Side with _____” and then she immediately becomes his lackey or something. Make it a slow transition to the dark side - like Anakin Skywalker!

The story supports harsh contents, this means imprisonment of certain people and suffering for some and even ultimately death. What don’t you like to see in that story
I’m all for realism in stories - for example, let’s be honest, how many evil dictators are going to let dissenters go free with a ‘warning’? But please, please, please be very careful. Don’t use sexual assault PLEASE, unless it’s absolutely necessary and we can skip seeing it - it may be triggering for some people. Also, watch out for Episode and its vague, vague content guidelines - basically go low on gore.

The story supports content restriction, in that moment you have to answer honestly that you do not see the contents within the story. (Seriously, they are dark.)
I said it earlier, definitely include a skip option. Make it very, very clear what’s about to happen - even if it’s a spoiler. It’s the responsible thing to do.

Is there anything else you would like to add
Have fun, but be careful with what you write. if you wouldn’t want your 13-year-old sister (I have no idea whether or not you have a thirteen-year-old sister, so just insert appropriate comparison here) seeing what you write, then consider mine - she’s just started puberty, she wants to know more about the world - don’t put her (indirectly) at risk! :pleading_face:
But, anyhoo, I don’t want to put you off of writing, so I’ll just say, treat your readers and your topics with respect, don’t quit halfway through if you only get a few reads and ENJOY YOURSELF (that’s an order :joy: :wink:)

Thanks you guys for the answers.