Need Directing Help? This is the Thread for You!

Ok, Thank you

No problem :balloon:

1 Like

I once read the story “Death the girl” and it had the matching shirt to the boho tights but I can’t find it anyone know how?

Hey can you help me? I’m writing in episode limelight and can’t figure out how to zoom. I tried searching but couldn’t find anything, can you help me?

check out this thread :wink:

Zoom Directing (The Art of the Zoom Made Easy)

I have an error with a choice i’m trying to write, it says 'unexpected block end… did you forget to put the ‘{’ that goes with ‘}’ Blah blah. I’ve read over my code so many times and cannot figure out what is wrong with it, please help!

can you post your script or upload a screenshot?

OLIVE (talk_think_neutral)
What should I do about this?

choice
“Die” {

@ OLIVE is think_rubchin

@pause for 2

@ OLIVE is fall
@ OLIVE is sleep_lay_uncomfortable_awaken

&sound dundundun
INT. YOUDIED - DAY

} “Run away” {

@ OLIVE is think_rubchin

&pan to zone 3 in 3
@ CHARACTER walks to screen right in zone 3 in 3 and CHARACTER does it while run_super_speed_loop

&sound dundundun
INT. YOUDIED - DAY

} “Call the police” {

@ OLIVE is react_startled_subtle

&sound phone_numberdial
@ OLIVE is text_phone_sad_loop

@pause for a beat

&sound phone_calling
@ OLIVE is listen_phone_sigh

@pause for a beat

NARRATOR
911, what’s your emergency?

@ OLIVE (talk_phone_surprised)
HELLO, yeah some help would be great

@ OLIVE is listen_phone_confused

@pause for a beat

NARRATOR
A-are you sure ma’am?

OLIVE (
Yes…

}

Ohh okay thank you!!

1 Like

What codes does you use when you give credit for backround? It comes popups at the top of the screen. For exampel " credit to lilaepisode for this backround and overlay"

Hi! I just started writing on the online platform, and I’m so confused! I have so many questions! How do I let my readers choose their character’s name? And how do I move the character to center stage? How do I preview a chapter on my computer, because right now when I press preview it just pops up as a black rectangle. This is all so confusing! :thinking::no_mouth:

Hi Dona! I’m a new writer here on episode (I also just made this account a few minutes ago and I was wondering why episode is giving me an error saying “Unexpected Expression: Did you leave out the word ‘choice’, or forget put a character name in ALL CAPS” Over where the “Yes gurl you need to sleep” line? Please excuse the lack of “@” symbols as Episode Forums doesn’t allow me to input more than 2 due to me being a new member! here’s the script:

NARRATOR
Chapter 1 -

INT. JUVIE WELLES BEDROOM - DAY

cut to zone 2

transition fade in black

NIKITA changes into NIKITA_night

NIKITA spot 0.431 194 445 in zone 2 AND NIKITA faces left AND NIKITA is sleep_lay_uncomfortable_loop

music alarmclock_digitalbeep

NIKITA (sleep_lay_uncomfortable_awaken)
(Should I sleep some more?)

choice
“Yes gurl, You need to sleep!”(

JAMES -1

readerMessage Your boss will remember that

transition fade out black 5

INT. BLACK - NIGHT
NARRATOR
30 Minutes Later…

music off

pause for a beat

pause for a beat

pause for a beat

pause for a beat

@IRIS spot 1.250 362 7

IRIS
| animation:shuffle-sideways , bold , color:red |NIKITA GET YOUR A** UP!

INT. JUVIE WELLES BEDROOM - DAY

transition fade in

cut to zone 2

IRIS stands at screen left

IRIS (idle_armscrossed_angry_loop)
NIKITA it's almost 8:15! You're gonna be late... | color:red | AGAIN!

}
“No, get your lazy butt up!”{

JAMES +1

readerMessage Your boss will remember that

}

music off

INT. BLACK - NIGHT
NARRATOR
To be continued…

Hey, I have a kinda specific situation. I keep getting an error for a missing bracket but no matter how much I add it always says I’m missing on the same line…

`choice
“Avilasa” {

@AVI enters from right to screen center

NARRATOR
Do you want to customize her?

choice
“No, she looks amazing!” {

goto start_custom

} “Yes, she’s not my type…” {

goto female_custom_2

NARRATOR
Are you happy with how she looks?

choice
“No, let me go back!” {

goto female_custom_2

} “She looks Perfect!” {

goto start_custom

}

}

} “You” {`

I keep getting the * ERROR

• [There is a { on line 37 that does not have a matching }]
    which is the line with “sorry she’s not my type” but as far as I can see there isn’t a missing bracket and whenever I add more it never goes away!

EDIT *** I just kept writing and it went away?? idk what happened

i think you used the wrong bracket, there’s a “(” after that line instead of “{”

Is there a way to preview like a mouthless, eyeless, hairless (and maybe everything all at once so she will be headless) type of code? (It’s for a nightmare horror story.)

Is it something like this? Ps. I don’t get any results with this though.

@CHAR previews mouth none
@pause for a beat
@CHAR unpreviews mouth none

If there is no code, I would have to create the characters many times and manually removing their features…? Or is there a coding for this so that it won’t be a hassle to create new chracters? Just want to re-confirm with any coding experts here. I’m just a beginner…

That’s called a reader messages and this the code for it: readerMessage Message/Credit/Etc

Here is the info I got from an episode forum!

input Question? | Question? | Done (ANSWER)

1. “Question?” can be replaced by whatever you want your typed-in choice question to be. Most people use “What is your name?” to let readers type in their own names. Notice how Question? is repeated. You need to add in your question twice in the code.
  2. The word “Done” can be anything you want it to be. This is the button you tap when you have completed typing in your choice. It can say “Finished”, “Unlock”, “Okay”, etc…
  3. ANSWER inside of the parentheses () is what you are going to refer to the answer to. When you want your character’s to talk about the typed-in response, wrap straight brackets around the ANSWER, like this: [ANSWER].
  4. The input code does not show on the web previewer. You will need to test this code using the app

To make a character walk to center stage, do this:
@CHARACTER walks to screen center
Or
@CHARACTER enters from left/right to screen center
Or
@CHARACTER stands screen center

After you can give them a walking/ running animation by putting this after any of the 3 sentences:
and CHARACTER is _________ <—Animation name there!

fixed but it still gives me an error :confused: