Need Directing Help? This is the Thread for You!

Oh no don’t worry, I assure you it wasn’t a waste of time. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi! I want to put a little note during one of my scenes in one of those little boxes that come down from the top stay for a few seconds then disappear. I have no clue how to code that in my script, some help would be very much appreciated. Thankyou :slight_smile:

ok

Sorry for the bad language :zipper_mouth_face::grimacing:

Ok, I see what’s wrong. It won’t let you end with a music off so after that line, put a “@pause for a beat”. That should get rid of the error. :wink:

still doesent work

Could you send me another screenshot?

Oh I meant the line after “music off” like this:
music off
@pause for a beat

OH thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem :grin:

It’s:
readerMessage message here
Make sure you capitalize the M in readerMessage or it won’t work

Hi I really hate spot directing but I still end up using it anyway for obvious reasons. I mess up my code and I can usually end up fixing it but this time I really can’t find the problem and I’m really hoping you can help.

The plan was to have this two groups of people off on the sides then have someone on the stair case. As seen here from when I originally placed them:

But for some reason when I tested my story there characters ended up in complete different places that where not written in their code! I have provided a picture with arrows pointing to the characters and where they’re supposed to be.

I am really hoping that you can provide me with what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

Here’s what I think might have happened: Maybe your zones were messed up and the characters were placed in the wrong zones.
Could you please send me a screenshot of the code you used to write this so I can take a further look?

Here’s a copy of my code also I forgot to mention this before but the character in the red dress can be ignored I haven’t done anything with her yet.

Sometimes when you use the ampersand (&), weird things happen. (I don’t think this was the case though). I think what happened was that you didn’t include zones. If the characters appear in zone 1, write “in zone 1” after the xyz numbers. I think there are 3 zones in this background, so I suggest testing the story in each zone and test the characters that belong in the same zone where you want them (which will be a different xyz value than the current one) and make sure to add which zone # at the end.

Here’s an example:
@CHARACTER spot 0.825 0 0 in zone 3 (this will put the character in screen left in zone 3).

Thank you so much I will give this a try right now and let you know how it goes! :blush:

Alright, good luck! :wink:

I tried the zone thing and it worked for a split second then they teleported back to their incorrect spots. So then I tried switching my “&” to “@“ and that also ended up doing the same thing. I noticed that they moved to the incorrect spots after the pan so I completely removed it and they stayed in their spots I have absolutely no clue why but it will be the fix for right now.

Hmm that’s really weird. :thinking:The pan shouldn’t mess anything up.

Yea that’s what I thought I’m going to give everything another go after a some sleep. Thanks for the help goodnight!

1 Like