Need help letting the reader choose names

Hi I just tried to change my script to include letting the reader customize the character’s name. First I got an error for the text below. Then when I erased that part to see what it would be like without it, I didn’t get an error, but when I saved and previewed, my character wasn’t to be found throughout the story.

@[NAME] is talk_awkward_loop

[NAME]
Ah yes.. My boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend... volunteered me to do this.

I went through and changed it to look like this, the name not being in brackets after the @, but that didn’t work. It says both of those sentences are errors.

@NAME is talk_awkward_loop

[NAME]
Ah yes.. My boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend... volunteered me to do this.

So I think I need help formatting the parts where the character does or says anything correctly so I can view the preview, and so that the character will be on the screen.

And here is the template for the name.

NARRATOR
So... what's your name?

label first_name_input

input What’s Your First Name?|What’s Your First Name?|Done(NAME)

if (NAME is “”) {

NARRATOR
You do need a name...

goto first_name_input

} else {
continue
}

#}

Did I do something wrong with the template and that’s why it’s not working?

Thanks!

did u name your character NAME?

Originally her name was Cass but I wanted to let the reader choose a name. Tutorial videos I’ve watched say to put FIRSTNAME, NAME, YOU, etc. where the name would be. But apparently sometimes it’s supposed to be in brackets and sometimes it’s not, and I’m also not entirely sure where to put the name or the text when the person talks. I put it where the tutorial video said, but it’s showing up as an error.

ohh u should put like

[CASS]

bcz thats her name

You need to always use the character’s script name when commanding them in the script.

So if your character’s script name is CASS and the display name is NAME, you would script it like this

CASS (talk_neutral)
My name is [NAME].

Oh thanks @Dara.Amarie I’m going to try that

@Dara.Amarie I did what you suggested.

NARRATOR
So... what's your name?

label first_name_input

CASS (talk_neutral)
My name is [NAME].

if (FIRSTNAME is “”) {

NARRATOR
You do need a name...

goto first_name_input

} else {
continue
}

#}

When I preview it on my phone, when the character is talking, it puts the right name above the chat bubble. However it still says Cass when the narrator is talking about the character, where the new name should be.

Example: Cass couldn’t stop thinking about that day at the museum.

Would it be better if I made it in first person?

How did you code the narrator part?

NARRATOR
Cass couldn’t stop thinking about that day at the museum.

NARRATOR
The day had started off as one of the worst, but by the end of the day it had become one of the best days she had experienced in recent memory.

NARRATOR
Unbeknownst to Cass, the woman approached a few seconds ago and had been watching her.

@CASS faces left

NARRATOR
She glanced around to make sure the woman was, in fact, speaking to her.

I don’t know why it pasted like that. In the script “NARRATOR” is indented to the appropriate space.

FIXED

NARRATOR
Cass couldn't stop thinking about that day at the museum.

NARRATOR
The day had started off as one of the worst, but by the end of the day it had become one of the best days she had experienced in recent memory.

NARRATOR
Unbeknownst to Cass, the woman approached a few seconds ago and had been watching her.

@CASS faces left

NARRATOR
She glanced around to make sure the woman was, in fact, speaking to her.

Okay so be sure to read my guide that I linked above.

Just like my example above, anytime you mention the name in dialogue, you have to use [NAME].

Will do, thanks! And ahh ok. I’m catching on slowly but surely lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.