Need help on the way my characters speak

Okay so my story has a lot of Aave because My main characters are african american and Indian and her bestfriend is just african american and they talk in AAVE (African American Vernacular English) But like most of the conversation with Mc and her friends are like ‘‘Girl what is you on about, you’re tripping for real’’ like alot of Gen z slangs too like ‘‘On foe nem’’
meaning to affirm the serious truth of what was just said, similar to saying, “on my mama,” “on my brothers,” or “on my homies.” and stuff like that. cause i don’t want anyone thinking i just have bad Grammar. i really wanna realistically showcase how most teenagers talk and when i say ‘‘Most’’ i mean me. because every highschool story i see the characters talk like they’re in shakespeare or something which is not a bad thing i just wanna properly make a realistic way teenagers talks nowadays.

2 Likes

I understand what you mean but not every person on episode is Gen Z and won’t understand. Also, I’m gen z + African American but I hate reading AAVE. I suggest using it every now and then but use proper grammar for the most part to appeal to all readers :))

3 Likes

Oh Ofcourse, I’m not gonna be using Aave in every dialogue it’s just sometimes when it’s needed.

1 Like

I agree with @k6tty , I’d add it in where needed/wanted but use “normal” grammar/punctuation/spelling throughout so that it’s understood that it’s a way that the character speaks and not that you aren’t capable of using “proper” grammar.

I’ll add that you can do little reader messages for the ones that might be harder to link.

I.e. I’m older and not all that up to date on the latest slang, so:

I’d never have guessed “on my momma/fam/etc.”. so having a older form of the phase /slang in a reader message would/might help readers understand a little better–especially if they aren’t native English speakers.

2 Likes

Ofcourse lmao My Mc only uses it when it’s needed

1 Like

Then I don’t think you’ll have any issues :slight_smile: What’s your story about?

1 Like

I haven’t really decided lol i’m still deciding on where it’s gonna lead to. I’m coding the first scene where she’s in the cafeteria with her friends it looks good so far but i feel like i could do so much better lol

1 Like

Cool well can’t wait to see what you come up with. :slight_smile:
Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Aye do you know why i might i have gotten flagged? so i can fix it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What got flagged? It may be because you have this in Art Resources instead of Share Feedback?

1 Like

As a black person who is also gen z, I think you should only add certain AAVE dialogues. The “on my mama” and “foe nem” stuff can be excluded, because I only cringe when I hear other black teens say it. :sob:

A few AAVE dialogues like “ion” (I don’t), “finna” (going to), “chile” (multiple meanings in my opinion, depends on the tone of how you say it :joy:) are okay.

Just make sure not to overdo it! Good luck :heart:

2 Likes

Trust me i’m not gonna do over do it, sometimes i myself have a stroke just reading aave :sob:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.