Need help with choices playing out over multiple chapters

First of all, hello everyone! I’m new around here.

Okay so I thought I had this figured out but the more I think about it the more confused I get.

-In my story there are 4 locations (library, flower shop, bakery, house) the characters have to go to.
-I want each location to be on it’s own chapter.
-I want the main character to be able to choose which location they go to each time based on two choices grouped together. (Library and flower shop) and (Bakery and house).
(EXAMPLE) MC chooses between library and flower shop. Depending on which choice, then the scene for that is played out. then say she goes home. Then in the next chapter scenes would happen and then she would go to the second location and that scene is played out.

Is this possible to do?

EXAMPLE:

CHAPTER ONE
MC is at home scene
(Choice: library or flower shop) Chooses library
Go to library scene
MC goes to another home scene

CHAPTER TWO
MC is at home scene
Go to flower shop scene
MC goes home.

Does this make any sense? I assumed if possible you would use the if/else statement, but now I’m confused as to how that would work for the next chapter.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

You can use flags/gains. Read more about that here: DARA’S GUIDE: Remember Choices with if/elif/else

So basically it would look like this:

Chapter 1

NARR
Where do you want to go?

choice
“Library” {
gain go_library
goto library_scene

} “Flower Shop” {
gain go_flowershop
goto flowershop_scene
}

label library_scene

#the entire library scene goes here

goto go_home

label flowershop_scene

#The entire flower shop scene goes here

goto go_home

label go_home

#The scene where you go home goes here

Chapter 2

if (go_flowershop) {
goto library_scene

} else {
goto flowershop_scene
}

label library_scene

#the entire library scene goes here

goto go_home

label flowershop_scene

#The entire flower shop scene goes here

goto go_home

label go_home

#The scene where you go home goes here

1 Like

Welcome!:tada:

Thanks so much!

Just to be clear, do these scripts mean that if in chapter one they choose the library scene that in chapter two it will automatically choose the flower shop scene or vice versa?

Because in chapter two I don’t want them to be able to have the option of choosing between the two again. It’s a crime solving story so I don’t want an option of going to a location they’ve already been to.

Thank you! Nice to meet you!

1 Like

Woops I messed up in my example above! It should be like this instead for chapter 2:

So if they choose the flowershop in chapter 1, then they end up going to the library in chapter 2 and vice versa

Thank you! I haven’t got to chapter two yet to see how it works, but hopefully soon!
Again, thank you for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.