Need help with directing a scene transition

Hello there,
I’m looking for some directing advice on a type of transition we have seen in many stories, but I’m not getting how to do that perfectly. For example- like sometimes we see someone is eavesdropping from the other side of the wall, the transition is so smooth that it looks like it’s actually two sides of the wall. I just know it has something to do with overlays and opacity but can I get a little guidance how to do it? Thank you.

You mean someone’s eavesdropping and then the wall fades and we see the scene inside the room? I don’t think I understand what kind of scene you are talking about. Could you please describe what happens in the scene?

1 Like

If I were you, I’d have a single background rendered of the interior of two rooms from a suitable angle and have my characters spotted where I want them in their respective rooms either doing their animations or have them do custom poses using overlays and the (blurred) wall that divides them as separate overlay that goes on top, above the the characters scenes while I use the zooms and pans to “transition” from one room/zone to the other.

You could also do the same thing using the two background render as an overlay instead of a background and shift it to have the same effect, but you’d need to animated the wall and have the walks to command for the characters unless you make the character overlays too in which case you’d also use shift.

If you mean like the post above, then you’d just have a background, then characters on top, then an overlay of a wall set to opacity 1 and have the character eavesdropping at the top layer (on top of the wall). After that, you can move the character to the side slowly with the walks to spot command (so that they’re not obscuring the reader’s view and have the wall overlay fade at the same time within however many seconds you want to reveal the characters in the room.

4 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try this way too. I was trying to do it by changing the opacity and zoom though. :grinning:

1 Like

No worries, Lovely. I have figured out something. Thank you for your reply. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.