Need help with Italian (🇮🇹) characters? Come here!

Ciao (:

2 Likes

Well, since you’re offering information, I have a couple questions.

1. Are there any weird stereotypes and/or commonly misrepresented things about Italian characters to avoid?
  2. Are there any aspects of the culture that you think are commonly lacking from stories with Italian characters?

I have a couple Italian characters throughout random stories, and it can’t hurt to get some writing advice. Thanks!

4 Likes

Well, talking about Episode, it’s rare to find an Italian character not related to the mafia - so that’s something to avoid.
As any other bilingual person, don’t put Italian words randomly in the conversation. That’s not how it works.
Also, in my opinion, avoid calling everyone with nicknames like “bella”. We can use them, but not with everyone and not all the time.

Our multiculturalism, for example. Italian are always represented with medium skin colors, but the tones of our skin has a great variety since Italy has a great history of incursions and immigration. So it could be very light or very dark. And of course, if the skin tone darker, the person will have another culture in addition to the Italian one.
Our artistic and historical heritage is something that lacks in Episode, but I understand that it’s hard to portray when the story is settled somewhere else.

This is what I could think of now, maybe I’ll think of something else.

9 Likes

I’m not looking for information for the time being, but this is an amazing shop :heart_eyes: I’ll definitely come by when I need something related!

7 Likes

dipende dall’interlocutore :eyes: :eyes:

5 Likes

We are well divided into North and South so a character from Southern Italy should generally be quite different than a Northern Italian one, I have never seen that in any Episode story.
Episode stories are generally about mafia and so they have Sicilian protagonists, but not every Italian is from Sicily and not everyone is in mafia.

9 Likes

Ikr. It’s like saying west and east Germany.
There you go, north vs south is a very old but still very popular joke in Italy. Or at least, now it’s more of a joke, though it was actually born as a way to mock one another. Nowadays we use it as a joke or to diss someone else, buuuut it’s still quite offensive, especially coming from a northern Italian to a southern one :grimacing:

8 Likes

Also, speaking about mafia, it’s so badly represented in Episode stories, women in the mob are, for the most part, objects used to form alliances and most of them have no education and are basically victims of the situation.

11 Likes

shhhh polentona

3 Likes

:cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

How dare you lol

2 Likes

A creep will definitely call u “bella”

8 Likes

I just got the shivers.

Either that or a granny. Sometimes.

6 Likes

Inoltre di solito i bois optano per “bellissima”

3 Likes

Still creeps me out if I’m called that. Or rather, “bella” does, “bellissima” makes me uncomfortable. As an adjective it’s okay though.

5 Likes

un creep di 65 anni @EtherealWitch infatti

3 Likes

@EtherealWitch @Grottino Thank you!

3 Likes

I was looking for a phrase equivalent to “The/That Handsome Devil” for italian phrases, I couldn’t find any…and I didn’t want it to translate to “The Sexy” or something too direct. I was going to settle for

" Principino " (In the public eye since birth so he’s still the “little” part.)

Also, this model calls my MC. Pimpi, short for princess, is that correct?

3 Likes

Nope. Princess is Principessa in italian, just call her principessa or principessina (little princess)

4 Likes

The handsome devil =
Handsome = idk maybe attraente, bello
Devil= diavolo, demonio
That handsome devil= Quell’attraente demonio maybe

4 Likes

Principino means little prince but I would only use it for a kid or something like that

5 Likes