Need help with Italian (🇮🇹) characters? Come here!

Heyo welcome! I think we’re all available for translations here, but feel free to pm me!

Ah, unfortunately I won’t be available immediately for the next few hours because I was just going to sleep (it’s currently 10:40 pm here) :sweat_smile: but feel free to leave a pm and I’ll make sure to reply once I wake up tomorrow~

1 Like

Does the skin tone Neutral 03 plus Black dark hair with green eyes ok for an female Italian person?

(I have more characters that I need to ask about btw…)

Hi! Like I mentioned in a previous message, I personally haven’t seen any person with black hair and bright green eyes as a combo. Hazel (light or dark) eyes seem more realistic in a black hair combo. Usually black haired people have brown eyes here, but sometimes you can find hazel or even blue eyes (even rarer). But personally I’ve never seen a Harry Potter-like feature combination here.

1 Like

Okay ty!

1 Like

Hello! I have a few questions.

1. Amara is one of the MCs in my story and she’s (roughly) 85% Italian (her other 15% is French and German) and grew up in Pontedera. When she was 9 she moved to the US, but now she’s 25 and she wants to go back to Italy to find her heritage. Here she is:
    Does she look okay?

2. Can you please translate the following sentences for me?

• Hello! Welcome to the Grand Luxury Hotel. How may I help you today?
  • Hi! We’re staying here under the reservation of Amara Bernardi.
  • Ah! Yes. the Grand Luxury Suite, three basic rooms, and a master suite?
  • Yes, that’s correct.
  • Here’s your room keys, number, and a guide explaining everything we have to offer here! Have a nice trip, just come down here to the front desk if you need anything!
  • Thank you! Have a great day!
  1. My story is set in Italy. Three best friends and their families take a vacation there, but all have hidden agendas. Jessinia wants to bond with her separated parents, Amara wants to find her roots, and Ivy wants to find out if the three of them will be friends through their 20’s. They are staying in Florence, with the exception of Amara who’s spending a small portion of the trip in Pontedera. Is there anything I should know about the cuisine, culture, people, or geography of the two cities before I start writing about them?

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Hii! Here we go~

This post is gonna be hella long oops

I’m not great with percentage, but I’m guessing one of her great-grandparents is French/German? Idk, if it’s something more complex like in the 1800s part of her family came from Germany and France, and this makes her part German and French… I’ll be honest, few people in Italy would really know.

Here's why

While in America (and elsewhere) people seem to have a good understanding about their heritage, in Italy at least stuff is very confusing. I’ll speak from experience. I recently found out that my last name is actually French and that not too long ago some of my ancestors moved from there to northern Italy. Another part of my family supposedly has roots in Austria/Switzerland/Germany? So, your MC could be me in a way hehe. The problem is that there are very few documents (if any at all) to get this info from, and sometimes grandparents/great-grandparents don’t know much or want to talk about their heritage. Remember that Italy went through 2 world wars and after the second people didn’t want anything to do with Germans. So, unless her family has noble origins, in general she wouldn’t have much information about her family history from the 1800s or so. Obviously, if that 15% means that either someone among her (great-)grandparents is not Italian she’d have a completely different experience.

This isn’t to say that being mixed isn’t realistic here (I myself am), I just wanted to let you know the dynamics.

I love that you picked a specific town instead of going general “in Tuscany”! In appearance she looks great, but I’m not too convinced with her name. I don’t think Amara is an Italian name, so you could try with Amanda instead, since it sounds similar? I figured since she was born in Italy from (mostly) Italian parents she needed an Italian name :point_right:t2::point_left:t2:

1. Now for your translations. Keep in mind that Italian is a gendered language. Almost everything needs to follow the male/female, singular/plural system.
  • Salve! Benvenuti (if the guests are multiple males or males and females) or benvenute (if the guests are multiple females with no males) al Grand Luxury Hotel. Come posso aiutarvi? (plural form for multiple guests)

The greeting at the beginning (salve) is fine and neutral, but not particularly polite in a grand hotel context. It’d be better to use either of these greetings according to the time of the day:

• Buongiorno (tr. good morning/good day) is used both in the morning, noon, and till around 4-6 pm (really depends on the area).
  • Buon pomeriggio (tr. good afternoon) is only used in certain areas of Italy, and it’s only for the afternoon hours (noon-7 pm).
  • Buonasera (tr. good evening) is used for the evening and night hours (before midnight anyway), starting at around 6/7 pm (again, depends on the area).
  • Salve! Abbiamo una prenotazione a nome Amara Bernardi.

Again, the same greeting salve in this translation should be better replaced by any of the ones I listed above ^

• Ah! Sì, la Grand Luxury Suite, tre camere e una suite padronale?

Question, by “three basic rooms” what kind of rooms do you mean? It is good practice in hotels in Italy that the receptionist describes exactly what kind of rooms you booked before giving you the keys.

• a camera singola is a room with one single bed (very old school, most newer hotels don’t only have a single bed anymore)
  • a twin (or twin room, same term as in English) is a room with two single beds
  • a double (or double room) is a room with a double bed (usually a queen size)
  • a camera tripla is a room with a double bed and a single bed
  • and a camera quadrupla is a room with either two double beds or a double bed and two single beds.

So, say if MC booked 3 single rooms, the receptionist would say “tre camere singole” instead of “tre camere” which is very generic and kinda dismissive as a first welcome.

• Sì, è corretto.

This is where I had the most trouble translating, it really shows the difference in how hotels work around the globe :laughing:

• Ecco le vostre chiavi con il numero della stanza, e una guida con tutti i servizi che l’hotel offre! Vi auguro una buona permanenza, e la reception è sempre a vostra disposizione se doveste avere bisogno di qualsiasi cosa!

Oof, I changed some sentence structures to sound more polite, so I didn’t completely follow what you wrote. Here’s the thing, I actually worked in a hotel’s front desk before so I kinda know what kind of things receptionists say/do to welcome their guests.

Here's to know more

First of all, they ask for everyone’s IDs or passports. They can either register them and immediately hand them back, or they could keep them for registration only to be given back after the guests accessed their rooms. In a grand hotel setting, there’s always at least two or three people working at the same time at the front desk, so while one is handling the IDs the other prepares the room keys.

As the guests receive their keys they’re informed about what room number they need to look for, where it’s located in the building, where the elevators and/or stairs are, and if they booked one or more meals at the hotel they’d be told where the dining area is and about when they can use it to eat. If they’re staying multiple days, they’d usually have at least breakfast included.

Last thing that is handed to them is the Wi-Fi password (or they’d be told where they can find it), the guide with all the services the hotel offers and how to order extra stuff from their rooms (there’s usually a mini-bar inside each room with basic beverages such as water, soda, etc., but they can phone the front desk to order alcohol etc. as well as other services from a menu they find inside the room.) Also, in a grand hotel I’d expect extra free stuff inside each room, such as the TV, kettle, coffee machine, tea/coffee set, teabags, sugar, perhaps a few snacks). And as an option they can take flyers that advertise local events or city maps which they can grab freely from the front desk.

So, something the receptionist here would probably say is more like this:

“Here’s your room keys. Your rooms are number [12345…]. You can find them on the [first, second, third floor…], the elevator is there [on the left/right/else]. Since you have breakfast included, the dining hall is available every morning at 7. If you’re interested, here’s a guide explaining everything we have to offer here! Ah, you can find the Wi-Fi password in your rooms. Finally, should you need anything the front desk is always at your disposal! Alright, I wish you a pleasant stay with us!”

Eccovi le chiavi. Le vostre stanze sono le numero [12345…]. Le potete trovare al [primo, secondo, terzo piano…], l’ascensore si trova proprio lì [a sinistra/destra/etc.]. Dato che avete la colazione inclusa, potrete usare la sala da pranzo ogni mattina dalle 7. Se siete interessati, vi offro una guida con tutti i servizi del nostro hotel! Ah, troverete la password del Wi-Fi nelle vostre camere. Se doveste avere bisogno di qualsiasi cosa, la reception è sempre a vostra disposizione! Bene, vi auguro una piacevole permanenza!

• Grazie mille, arrivederci!
  1. Your plot sounds lovely and while I’m not from Tuscany, the region along with Florence hold a special place in my heart!

I personally have only been to Tuscany on vacations or short trips, so I’m certainly not familiar with the everyday life. Plus, I’ve never been to Pontedera so I really can’t help with that. I believe there’s a movie called Letters to Juliet with Amanda Seyfried that is set in Verona (Veneto) and then Tuscany at one point. It does a decent job at portraying the scenery, not so much with the rest which is stereotyped as usual.

You can use the Wikipedia page of Tuscany to get an idea of the territory and history: Tuscany - Wikipedia
In the “Culture” paragraph you can find more in-depth stuff.

I’ve personally been to Florence, Certaldo, Arezzo, Bolgheri, San Gimignano, Lucca, Volterra, and Siena, but I don’t know either of them that well since I don’t live there.

In general, Tuscany is most known for its nature and countrysides, wines, meats, and the whole cultural heritage (especially from the middle ages and renaissance). The people are generally very welcoming and tend to lead less stressful lives than here in the north. Their cuisine is divine in its simplicity and you can literally breathe in the history of their towns.

It’s hard to talk about a place in general, so perhaps try to identify everything your story will most likely touch upon. No matter how ‘stupid’ and simple such as the legal drinking age, don’t take anything for granted and try to ask more specific questions.

Hope this helped! :hugs:

3 Likes

Yeah, I have a few questions…

Do ya’ll support the LGBTQ?

How much dark/black people are mostly found in Italy? Like a lot or less?

Is a person with brown hair and blue eyes okay for an female Italian person?

Are French people allowed to go to Italy?

What do Italians wear? Because on this website, it says that they mostly wear Gucci and other famous clothing…

(Ok that’s it.)

1 Like

Hi!

I’d say the general population unfortunately doesn’t. Italy’s population is mostly made up of elderly and mature people and because of our history and the fact that the Vatican is located right in the capital of Italy (Rome), most people were (and still are) raised as pure catholics. Religion is very important to many, while not being religious themselves, it does still play a huge role in our culture. “God banishes gays, that’s all there is. It’s a sinful practice,” you know, the same stuff you’d here in other parts of the world I assume.

However, younger generations play the ‘few but loud’ part. Thanks to (social) media that try to normalize it, a lot of people are either getting educated or they’re getting even more disgusted, and that’s unfortunate.

So coming out and being LGBTQ can still be very scary when traditionalists are around, but you can still find older generations (other than the younger ones obviously) that are tolerant or even welcoming in that regard.

I’m personally all for love is love :relieved:

I’m not sure what you mean by this question but, black people are one of the many minorities here, but I feel like there’s way more Chinese, Filipinos, Arabs, and Maghrebis here than Sub-Saharan people. It may just be my impression though. Don’t be scared to add Africans though! One of my close friends in middle school was black and Muslim!

Yup, it sounds perfect!

Well… that’s the point of the EU. Citizens of EU countries are free to visit any other country within the EU without any kind of visa being required.

So, absolutely yes!

'scuse me, I’ll just cry in broke.

No, we don’t all wear Gucci, Armani and whatnot. It depends on a person’s wallet and tastes (and people’s presents lol). My brother is all into that stuff, but personally I don’t care. Sure, I do own some Calvin Klein stuff (if that counts), a couple things from Gucci, but that’s it :sweat_smile:

Personally: it’s not that I don’t have any expensive clothes, because through gifts and my own occasional shopping I do own some fancy ones, but they aren’t necessarily from :sparkles:famous :sparkles: brands. Majority of my wardrobe is rather inexpensive though :woman_shrugging:t3: and I’m from Milan, “the fashion capital” of Italy.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

3 Likes