Need help with the layers

Hey I’m Chloe and I need help xD

I’m currently writing a scene with a couple of characters and i’m trying to have some in the front and some in the back peeking through, but the characters that are meant to be in the front are inside or hidden by the background characters. I don’t know how to use layers soo uhm yea. How can i make them in the front. I tried:

@CHAR moves to layer 1
and
@CHAR moves to layer 2

but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. :confused:

Any advise would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

These commands are actually right. Try to use more numbers maybe?
Negatives for the background character?
@CHARACTER moves to layer -5

You can use as many numbers as you want :slight_smile:

Okay, thanks.
I’ll give it a try.
:slight_smile:

Hi.
Could you post a portion of your script, and I can have a look.

<3

This is my script with the preview. The characters that are partially covered, are meant to be in the front.

The characters that are hiding place them upscreen and move the backgrounds characters to layer 3.

Ex. @CHAR stands upscreen right
I hope this works!

I see that you already use spot directing. Try to add the layer to the positions of the characters.
ex MARINA spot 0.933 210 132 at layer -5
See if that helps. It seems that’s easier for the SE to handle. moves to layer is good to use for short reloactions - like for instance when two character’s switch place with each other.

Layers can be tricky, but here’s a quick/short F&Q about them.

• The default position for anything (character or overlay) if not specified, is layer 1.
  • Layers go from low to high. The lower the number the further back on the screen the item is. I know, it doesn’t feel logical at first, but it will after a while.
    Right now you’ve placed EMMA and MARINA in the background, but i believe you want them in the foreground(?) Try to put them on a higher layer instead.
  • Already existing overlays in backgrounds (desks etc) are placed at layer 1, so - if you don’t replace them and specify the layer - to place something behind them you need to place the character on layer 0 or lower

Let’s see if this gets your script to work. :thinking:

<3

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give this a try. :slight_smile:

When I added the ‘at layer -5’ to the end of their spot positions, it said that it wasn’t a valid directing command, and when I previewed the characters weren’t there.

Then lets try to add the zone as well, so the SE doeesn’t get confused. It’s kind of finical.
@CHARACTER spot 0.933 210 132 in zone 2 at layer 3

<3

When I tried this, it didn’t show any warnings or errors, but in the preview the characters are still hidden. :confused:

1 Like

That’s because they’re still on a lower layer that the character’s in the back. Remove the - and it should work.

<3

1 Like

Oki.

Thank you so much for your help! It worked. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to help. Happy coding.

<3

1 Like

Glad this got resolved! Closing :v:t2: