Need someone who lives in the USA and goes to high school for informations :)

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m currently writing a story which takes place in a high school and I would be awesome if somebody could help me out with informations regarding the school system in the USA.
I live in Europe and with have a very different school system then yours …
Of course I need my questions to be answered but in addition it could be a very interesting exchange how things work differently in here and there!

So, DM me if you are a high school student or were a high school student and willing to answer me my questions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

High school in the U.S. goes by grades. Grades 9-12.

9th grade (freshmen) ~ 1st year of high school, Age Range: 14-15 years old
10th grade (sophomore) ~ 2nd year of high school, Age Range: 15-16 years old
11th grade (junior) ~ 3rd year of high school, Age Range: 16-17 years old
12th grade (senior) ~ 4th and LAST year of high school, Age Range: 17-18 years old

4 Likes

What about the school subjects? Are there some subjects which everyone has to take? Like Math, Bio, English, etc.?

1 Like

9th graders take Physics
10th graders take Biology
11th graders take Chemistry
12th graders get to choose an elective (Art, Music, etc). 12th graders who have competed and passed all their science classes are the ones who pick an elective.

You are also required to take 2 language classes (And pass obviously) to graduate. For example, if you are to take Spanish class in 9th and 10th grade, you’ve met the requirements to graduate.

You also have to take Math and English class for 4 years (All throughout high school)

The typical order of math classes are:
Algebra 1 and Geometry: 9th grade
Algebra 2/Trigonometry: 10th grade
Pre calculus: 11th grade
Calculus: 12th grade

You are also required to take History class
9th grade: US history
10th grade: World History

Physical Education (Gym) is another requirement. Usually you have to take at least 2 gym classes (11th and 12th grade)

Electives are for 12th graders who have completed all science classes, or other classes they were supposed to complete within their first three years of high school.

Elective examples: Art, Music, Coding, etc.

I think that’s everything. Hope that wasn’t confusing

This is how it goes in my school. Some Us high schools may do things a little different. Overall though, pretty similar.

3 Likes

There are also classes called AP classes. For people who are advanced at a certain subject.

3 Likes

Damn, you are awesome!!! Thank you so much for this precise description! That’s exactly what I’ve needed :slight_smile:

How can I thank you for that? :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

You don’t owe me anything. I like to help people. It’s no problem. :))

1 Like

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

At my school math varies for the level but I can say the general math subjects. There’s algebra (pre algebra, intermediate algebra, etc.), geometry, pre calc or other calculus classes, statistics, etc. In 9th grade you take physical science, civics (kind of a government class), language arts, gym and music or art, also probably health. You can take music and art all years if you choose and there are different ones if you choose those. In 10th grade you take gym, biology, language arts, U.S. history and like the other grades a math class and art or music if you’re signed up. In 11th grade you take world studies, language arts, math, at my school you can be done with gym, you choose between physics or chemistry, a health class and then the other subjects that were listed above. 12th grade you just need to get your credits but can choose between electives and it’s more flexible. I personally took creative writing, modern nonfiction, sociology, psychology of motivation, community involvement, graphic design (etc.). There’s a lot of elective options so I won’t even try to list them all lol. Also I somehow I almost forgot about world language. They vary depending on the state and the district but the most common ones offered are Spanish, French, German, and maybe a few others depending on what’s offered. Basically if you fit in your requirements there’s flexibility for electives and can vary from person to person. Sorry if this didn’t make sense, let me know if you have any questions!

1 Like

And kind of like said above there are typically three levels
1.) placement classes where a teacher has to specifically put you in the class if you need extra help (you can’t sign up for those)
2.) regular level
3.) honors or AP which are harder and optional to sign up for (also AP classes give college credit)

1 Like

she was just trying to give extra information and there were some things she said that you didn’t talk about :blush:

2 Likes

Not that much extra, but okay. :yum:

1 Like

Thank you guys so much :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

I used to live in Missouri As a freshman and Biology was for Juniors and I recently moved to Texas and there Freshman take Biology and I completely failed that final but yeah apparently Biology is a Freshman class at some places :joy::crazy_face:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.