Neha's Weekly Discussion #7: Traditions!

Hey guys! Happy Monday & Happy Holidays! Christmas is approaching this week and I wanted to say Merry Christmas to those who celebrate! If you don’t, I hope you’re looking forward to the New Year and the time off if you have any (hopefully you do, because you deserve it!) For this week’s discussion, I wanted to talk about traditions since I already did a thread about the holidays. Also, I can’t believe I’ve been doing one of these for seven weeks!!! That’s insane. Thank you for the amazing response and support, I really appreciate it :))
The question is: What are some holiday traditions you have? Some you have with your family and/or friends? Or just any tradition if you don’t celebrate the holidays? Do you think traditions are important? Why or why not?
My answer: Traditions are important to me. I think without traditions, my family probably wouldn’t be as close as we are. The same applies to friends. Traditions only serve to strengthen the family bond. I know this doesn’t apply to everyone. I am really, really lucky to have a super wonderful family.
Anyway, back to the talk of tradition. A specific tradition that isn’t that specific (lol) is we put the Christmas tree up on Thanksgiving. While we watch the Macy’s Day Parade, sleep in supeeeerrr late but we get up early enough to catch the parade, and go back in forth between the basement, my living room, and the kitchen so I can help my mom out with cooking. That sentence was a mouthload and probably a run-on. HAHAH
Another tradition occurs when Santa always comes around all the neighborhoods in a firetruck. We will always go outside, greet him, and then he’ll give my mom, me, and my brother all candy canes. We never, ever miss an opportunity for candy canes.
:joy:
Some (not so) random tags: @Amphia @Youngbl00d @LifeIsMyAesthetic @Lumnara @pilot @Lana_Carter @lanafrazer_episode @blue.berrytoast @Pinkrose @Practor @MiyakoMiyu @R.es.Story @Krithi.epi @kahotshot @MoraTheMoron @KiimChi @pri.2112 @chelliebelliex @Malannee @marcosimp @MMG @epi.verve @episodemichi @RJK @SunniiClouds @June_Sinclair @Hellchaser @Maeverie.Rivera
As always,
All the love,
Neha! :revolving_hearts:
Check out last week’s thread!

Here are some other threads to check out if you are interested!

12 Likes

I like a continuity, so I like traditions. I don’t really have many but I always go into the city for christmas eve and I guess that is a tradition but it was cacelled this year for obvious reasons :sob:

5 Likes

Traditions are extremely important to me, especially since they’ve been handed down to our family for generations. One tradition, is to give family gifts (we don’t celebrate Christmas) of jewelry, food, and traditional items from our home country. Since I live in the U.S, my family from Palestine will sometimes ship it through mail, and we’ll get halal candies, clothing, gold bracelets, e.t.c.

My father is from Brazil, so occasionally (it always seems to land on a Sunday) we’ll do churrasco.

4 Likes

What are some holiday traditions you have?
We have a tradition but it’s kinda common and only celebrated among the family like I have a family for four members so only we have traditions within us and not with my other relatives.

Some you have with your family and/or friends?

No there’s nothing with my friends but family yeah.

Or just any tradition if you don’t celebrate the holidays?

Oh yeah we do have other traditions, like meeting up with family, spending time, etc.

Do you think traditions are important?

Yes they are important.

Why or why not?

Because it’s the only time when my family is together

2 Likes

ummm i don’t have many (and there lowkey basic NJFKDFSDK) but uhmmm idk i wish i could say that i do some super school stuff but i don’t NFJDLFSDKFSDJ

we always put up our christmas tree while drinking eggnog and listening to christmas music (specifically ariana grande’s christmas ep album) and uhmmm yea i can’t think of anything else for now, i’ll keep y’all updated !

2 Likes

@bakedpotato omg I’m so, so sorrryy!!! Going to the city during the holidays is always such a nice experience. It’s definitely something to call a tradition. I’m assuming you’re talking about NYC or some major city? I’m talking about NYC haha. What do you do in the city when you go there?
@MiyakoMiyu that’s so cool!! I love that. I think that’s a great tradition to maintain culture within your family. Did you get all your presents ready?
@June_Sinclair Meeting up with family and spending time with them is indeed important. Hopefully, you can this year!! xx
@marcosimp yesss, Ari’s album is so good!! I’ve never drank eggnog before and I remember talking about it on another discussion thread with someone. I want to try it so bad. My mom says she doesn’t really like it, but she used to drink it with my dad so he didn’t feel lonely since no else in my family really liked eggnog lol
Those are nice traditions! Traditions don’t have to be fancy, just enjoyable for you and your family and/or friends :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

Yeah we are meeting up to celebrate New Year and thank you for making weekly posts :heart:

1 Like

Me and my mum shop together whilst my siblings go to the cinema. Its a great chance to have one on one time with my mum as I have two other siblings and a dad who might has well be a child sometimes :joy: Its not something I get a lot of and no it is not a major city the population is very small compared to other ones like NYC but I live in a town so I like going into the city from time to time :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Not really a tradition, but annually, my family hosts a huge party where all our family members attend and we’re more than a hundred. Sometimes, some of the neighbours crash the party, then the food has to be doubled :joy:. We all dance, and play loud music, and eat, and sleep at 5 am. :relieved: We also give each other gifts of clothes, gadgets and stuff.

I think traditions aren’t that important :woman_shrugging:t4:, but to me, personally. I mean, yes, it’s nice that we have a huge party, but some solitude would be cool. Also, change can be nice, too! I mean, if one year, we host a party, then the next, we just sit in living room and watch a movie as a family, that’d would be nice!

3 Likes

eekkkkk you should ask ur mom to buy some !!

1 Like

Traditions are quite important for me.
On Christmas eve, my family and I go to church. Neither me, my sister, nor my father don’t really believe in the beliefs of the church (so, it’s just my mother who does), and I overlooked it for so long, and now that we can’t go this year, I’m kinda sad.

1 Like

What are some holiday traditions you have? Some you have with your family and/or friends? Or just any tradition if you don’t celebrate the holidays?
My holiday traditions are opening up gifts on Christmas morning and listening to Christmas music until December 30th. Sometimes, I will watch Christmas movies as well.

Do you think traditions are important? Why or why not?
This depends on the tradition. I feel like Christmas traditions would be important because of the nature of the holiday. There are some traditions that I feel like we would be better off without, but all of these aren’t related to Christmas though.

1 Like

We have a lot of family birthdays in winter (I’m talking 7 in just over 6 weeks) so our rule is the tree doesn’t go up until after my sister’s birthday on 29th November and then it comes down before mine on 10th January. We also do this weird thing where we try and find the stupidest decorations we can every year. We’ve got loads, e.g. A plastic slice of cake, ballet shoes and 2 felt leaves. The thing ends up looking like a mish mash, definitely not like those pristine trees on Instagram with bright white lights :joy:

As for the day itself, now I’m over 18 it consists of lots of alcohol, presents and Christmas TV specials in the evening. Oh and food, the best is pigs in blankets and roast potatoes and for dessert it’s a Christmas Pudding with lots of custard :yum:

@June_Sinclair that sounds great! I hope you have lots of fun! And no problem, it’s always a pleasure to hear from you. :grin:
@bakedpotato Okay, I understand, sorry for just assuming hahah
I’m used to just assuming when someone’s talking about the city it’s NYC (I live near there.) Shopping is always super fun in the city for most. (I’m not the biggest fan of shopping LOL)
@Jade135 I love that!!! A party sounds so fun right now. I’m glad you have that, like I mentioned prior, it sounds quite fun & lovely. It’s important to take time to just have with your family. Are you having the party this year with less people? are you doing a zoom call type thing? lol
@marcosimp ahhh I will!! I’ll let you know if she gets it and how it tastes if I like it hahah (I think I’ll like but I’m not completely sure to be honest.)

3 Likes

ouu yes, my mom has been buying it foreverrrr, i remember having it in like 2nd grade and not liking how thick it was and like the overall spice flavor of it (its legit cinnamon idk why 7 year old me didn’t like it NDJKFDK…) and she would get mad cause i would always waste it :joy:

i justttt started liking it last year haha

This year we decided we were just going to go out as a family (not the entire family, just my immediate) because we’re all not in the mood to party :pensive:. This year sucked :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Eggnog is SO good. My mom always buys it this time of year :heart:

1 Like

Some holiday traditions I have would travel back to my home island and celebrate it with my family. Yes, I have them with both actually :sweat_smile:. Yes I do indeed think traditions are important because it brings the family together and reminds them of the love, and that they are here for one another. Also, it was passed down from generation to generation, I do not know much about my tradition back home and that’s the one thing I feel guilty about. So I do indeed think traditions are important. :relaxed:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.