New Skin Tones and Updated Search

Hello Episode Creators!

You might have seen this post announcing new Limelight skin tones coming soon in the Style + Art Updates board. With your feedback and input, we’re finally be able to release our update and new skin tones in today’s update! Read on for details.

First of all, to make all of these new skin tones easier to find we have made updates to color organization in the character editor.

34%20AM

We listened to your concerns about wanting be able to easily see the names of colors, so with this update, each color’s swatch name appears much quicker and is easier to read when you hover over it:

Animated%20GIF-downsized_large%20(14)

Also, we know that our authors spent a lot of time creating new avatar creator templates for each other when we released Limelight a year ago – and that we didn’t ultimately release one for you.

Making avatar creators takes a lot of time, since you need modify to include all of the skin tones you want.

So, to make the transition easier, we have added new script templates for you to use.

And don’t worry – if you don’t resave your existing scripts, your current avatar creators will still work (they’ll miss the new colors we’ve added, but your readers’ experience will not be interrupted)!

47%20PM

These will insert avatar creators that use all the new skin tones into your script. When using these avatar creator templates you might also notice a new donacode command:

choice [shouldPaginate: YES]

This command will take a choice that has more than 6 options and automatically create pages for it. You can use this command anywhere in your scripts you want to have multiple choice pages.

We hope that this will allow you to also in the future have an easier time creating choices with a lot of options!

Animated%20GIF-downsized_large%20(14)%20copy%202-min

We have also revisited the way search works across the character editor, outfit editor and the art catalog. In the character editor you can now search by color!

Type in the name of the color you are looking for and the most relevant matches will filter to the top.

01%20AM

This will work across all categories in the character editor and also applies to styles, so styles which do not have that color available will be filtered out making it easier to find styles that work with the colors you want.

Animated%20GIF-downsized_large%20(14)%20copy

All of these searches have been updated to allow searching for part of an asset name, so searching for “Blu” will get you these results:

To search for an exact phrase, put your search term in quotes: “Blue shirt”. To exclude something from search you can use the minus sign: “heels -boots” which searches for all heels that are not boots.

Hopefully this makes finding what you’re looking for should be easier than ever! :slight_smile:

Happy Writing!

With love,

The Episode Team

Update We’ve posted a response topic to this thread after reading all of your feedback. It can be found here: Update: Skin Tones, Dirty Dancing Contest Submission Deadline, and Overlay Reviews

43 Likes

There seems to be a bug with this release. My readers have informed me that all of their characters are appearing a lot darker than the ones they created and things like noses just seem to disappear.

11 Likes

Mine look WAY darker than before too. All my overlays now don’t even closely match :sob:

7 Likes

Am I reading the above correct? It sounds like nothing should change if we have old templates or skintones correct? Or I am reading that wrong?

Did this update also delete the Round Button Nose shape from the character editor because now it’s saying there’s no image available.

6 Likes

That’s how I read it too but in my case, I haven’t published yet :upside_down_face:
But from a previous communication, I believe the old colour will immediately default to the new one? They’re several shades darker!

4 Likes

Side note: I can’t find neutral 2.

I’m not sure if the new skin tones are a glitch or not? They’re really dark and all my characters need to be at least two shades lighter to be even close to what they were before. Before I change them all, I guess I’ll wait to see if there’s any update?

2 Likes

Yes! The Beige Rose skin tone’s “transition color” suddenly looks waaaay darker.

2 Likes

@Jesse @Jeremy

Hi,
Your new update seems to have messed up many characters.

1. Skin tones appear darker when “transitioning”.
  2. NOSES HAVE GONE MISSING IN MANY STORIES!!!

AHHHHH! I’m noseless!
How am I going to be hot for Max in Love & War now??? insert dismayed animation

6 Likes

Hi @EliseC, which skin tones have you noticed are much darker than before? If you’re able to identify the names of the skin tones that would help.

Beige Rose transitioned to Rose 03.
But Rose 02 is a better fit.

1 Like

All of them? lol
But specifically Tan Neutral (neutral 05), Beige Rose (Rose 03), Beige Deep Neutral (Gold 05)… and I’ll update this when I find more. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I kinda thought the skin tones would be organised by their family… Wasn’t that the whole point of trying to make them neater? :roll_eyes:

I like the next page thing. Can’t wait to use that :smiley:

11 Likes

Could you try closing and re-opening the app then letting us know if it’s still like this?

Don’t forget Fair Neutral (Neutral 01). It looks darker than what was originally mapped.

2 Likes

They nearly all do. The ones I mentioned were just the ones that I used for my characters but please list as many as you notice!! :smiley:

2 Likes

I also think Brown Gold (Gold 07) looks a bit off as well.

4 Likes

Ugh I noticed this too :frowning: It’s so frustrating. I had to go back and reassign the skin tones of my characters who were affected. It’s a good thing I haven’t published any parts of my story yet!

2 Likes

Well I was wrong :smiley: Names of colors are also visible in phone browser! :smiley::smiley::smiley:
Only thing why is not good is - because colors are in no order. Otherwise- can’t wait to update my script :wink:

2 Likes

Now it’s gone away because you seem to have reverted the changes :slight_smile:

3 Likes