New Story - Romance

I am writing a romance and I’d like to know some advice for things to avoid or things to do in the story. It starts with the main character feeling unlovable and lost in life. I don’t want it to be a cliche, but I also want it to be memorable. Do you have any suggestions for me?

If any of you would like to read it, the link is here!
Lovely Belated

1 Like

please no love at first sight. they suck so much. the only ones who fall in love, at first sight, is stalkers

2 Likes

Okay! I originally had the story going to be an Another World story, but I knew I wasn’t going to finish in time. The main story line, is when you meet your soul mate, a timer goes off that was given to you at birth. However, the main character’s timer doesn’t work, so it’s like love at first sight for the rest of the world, but not the main character. I decided to put a little twist on it so it’s not a total cliche.

1 Like

Moved to Share Feedback since you’re asking for help with a story idea. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

I love the idea. What are you unsure of?

2 Likes

That could be a really interesting dystopian world. Who gives them the timer?

2 Likes

Make sure the relationship is a healthy one .

2 Likes

I was going to make it an app. You put your name, date of birth, and your ideal lover in an app.

1 Like

Okay, thank you!

I’m really just making sure I’m not missing any details with the plot and the romantic stuff. I did have one romance story, but I feel like the romance aspect could have developed more, so I figured I’d ask for more things to improve on. I don’t think I mentioned flaws at all within the story, so that’s my main focus.

1 Like

Ah, see I was thinking it was like the government gives you the timer, or some google/skynet conglomerate that’s become the government that’s assigning partners based on data collected from free services like email and certain online video platforms etc. That would be pretty crazy and close enough to reality to freak me the fuck out. Have you ever read The Uglies?

1 Like

Ah. My suggestion for that is build a friendship. Make them friends before lovers since her clock doesn’t go off

1 Like

No, is it a story on Episode or a novel? I wouldn’t mind reading it. I didn’t want it too close to reality because it would freak me out to write it, but I was going to make a creepy plot twist.

1 Like

Okay, I do have to mention that her clock is pretty unpredictable. Just like internet downloads, they say it has three seconds remaining and goes all the way back to one day remaining.

1 Like

But that clock is the time left until she finds her soulmate? And her soulmate knows that she is theirs, right?

It’s a book by Scott Westerfeld, it’s really good if you like dystopian fiction. I think an app is a good idea but who puts out the app and why, if a product is free you’re the product, I think your premise could lend itself to commentary on the harvesting and selling of personal data. They could already know your ideal mate because they’ve been collecting your data since you could use a phone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.