New writer with a question: Choices

Hi, I have a question. I’m a new writer and I was wondering how can we create this:

I took a screenshot from a scene. And I was wondering how can we let our reader choose a person like this?

2 Likes

Hello there !!! And welcome to the world :earth_africa: of Episode!!! This particular story format/style is called “Spotlight”. From my understanding, you can switch between “Spotlight” and “Limelight” within the same story.

2 Likes

set format spotlight

Also your Henley looks different from mine :joy:

2 Likes

Checkout this thread to gather more information!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi, yes I know what spotlight is but my question was are you able to click on someone who you want to choose? I know how if, elif and else work.
I just never wrote in spotlight and don’t know how the choices pop up.
But I want to be able to for example: choose who you want to go on a date with.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the feedback! I’m going to try things out thanks!

1 Like

I’m not completely certain how to create options for the reader to select characters within the Spotlight format ( like the example you have listed ) but you may find the proximity of an answer from learning more about spotlight itself. Essentially Spotlight is half of the total character in comparison to Limelight, with less directing and animation needed . I am guessing you would need to code in a similar fashion as you would to select an option to choose who you want to date via choices/branching. ( not sure :thinking: if you could follow that sentence… I think I even lost myself on that one… ) . But you would create a choice for the reader… then when the reader makes the choice you would branch to what that choice leads to the character doing. In Spotlight… you would have to see if the appearance of the choices you provide gives you the look that you posted in the story. Keep in mind though… you can switch back and forth between Spotlight and Limelight if you select Limelight to start your story. Because if you select Spotlight to begin your story, you won’t have the option to be able to code cinematic view ( Limelight ).

1 Like

if you’re referring to making the characters tappable;

1. create or upload an overlay that’s the same size as the character you want to make tappable. since you want to make spotlight characters, i would recommend downloading and uploading this overlay since it’s exactly the same size as a character in the spotlight format:
  • i’ll refer to this overlay with the script name SCOL (SCOL1, SCOL2, SCOL3 in method 1, step 2) throughout this tutorial. however, you can name it whatever you want.

1. create various copies of the same overlay. there are two ways that you can do this.
    1. you could make multiple overlays of the same .png by continuously uploading the same image as an overlay.
    2. you could use the create from overlay command to duplicate the overlay without having to upload more. for example;
@overlay SCOL create from OLNAME
  • OLNAME can be any overlay. it doesn’t matter which one you use as it won’t be visible and only the SCOL overlay will appear in its place.

1. then shift and scale your overlay accordingly until it covers the character. then adjust the layer. make sure that the overlay’s layer is greater than the character’s layer. for example, if the character’s layer is 6 then the overlay’s layer should be 7.

1. change the overlay’s opacity to 0 using the following command;
&overlay SCOL opacity 0 in 0

1. make the overlay tappable. you can learn more about tappable overlays here, but this is the basic code;
tappable
"SCOL"{
#your code here
}
  • replace #your code here with what you want to happen when the reader taps on a character.
2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

1 Like