Notes on English Grammar

Hey, everyone!
I was a diehard grammar fanatic in middle/early high school; though, I’ve softened up now to the point where my basic principle is: do whatever pushes your intent forward. Still, between art and writing, I’ve always been taught to “learn the rules before you break them.” There’s a couple of threads about grammar rules already, but I wanted to share some lesser-known /understood principles that I think could help those who struggle with English grammar!

”Sentence Formatting”
Begining Sentences with Conjunctions

When starting out, try not to begin your sentences with conjunctions (and, but, or, nor, for, yet, etc.).

INCORRECT: And don’t return until you’ve made amends with the demons in your heart!
CORRECT: Don’t return until you’ve made amends with the demons in your heart!

INCORRECT: But I wish things were different between us.
CORRECT: I wish things were different between us.

I break this rule all the time; and, honestly, most secondary educators look past it.

"Capitalization"
Capitalizing Brands

Do not capitalize common nouns after brand names.

INCORRECT: Microsoft Tablet, Windows Search Engine, North Valley Orchard Apples
CORRECT: Microsoft tablet, Windows search engine, North Valley Orchard apples

"Punctuation"
Commas
Understanding Commas

All in all, commas should be used to add clarity. The most common way to use a comma—besides attached to a coordinating conjunction—is separating nonessential (phrases that do not change the sentence’s meaning) elements of a sentence. This includes introductory phrases, parenthetical expressions, appositives, direct addresses, and more.

EX: Peaches , my town’s native fruit , are in season!
*Note: We use two commas here because the phrase occurred in the middle of a sentence, but nonessential elements can also occur at the beginning or end of a sentence. In that case, we would only use one. The key is “surrounding” the entire nonessential phrase.

Commas and Multiple Adjectives

Use a comma to separate two or more adjectives before a noun

INCORRECT: The corpulent sluggish bison strolled across the planes.
CORRECT: The corpulent , sluggish bison strolled across the planes.

The Oxford Comma

The Oxford (or serial) comma is the last comma used before the conjunction in a list of items.

WITH OC: We will have the juneberry pie, cider-braised steak , and a grilled cheese sandwich.
W/OUT OC: We will have the juneberry pie, cider-braised steak and a grilled cheese sandwich.

There is debate about the necessity of the Oxford comma. I, finding it clarifying, am personally pro its usage; though technically speaking, you ˙˙˙ʇı ǝpnlɔuı oʇ ʇou ǝɔıoɥɔ ǝɥʇ ǝʌɐɥ op

"Verbs"
Subject Verb Agreement

One of the most common errors I see on Episode is improper subject-verb agreement. Subject-verb agreement essentially states that singular subjects need to have singular verbs and plural subjects need to have have plural verbs. As a trick: if you have a singular subject, the verb should end in s.

INCORRECT: The classroom study quietly.
CORRECT: The classroom studies quietly.
*Note: Nouns acting collectively are considered singular (ex: team plays, group moves, audience boos, etc.).

INCORRECT: After the team’s defeat, she look sad.
CORRECT: After the team’s defeat, she looks sad.

INCORRECT: Neither the students nor the principal know how to handle online learning.
CORRECT: Neither the students nor the principal knows how to handle online learning.
*Note: When a compound subject is joined by or or nor, the verb agrees with the nearer subject. Here since the singular subject “principal” is closer to the verb, the verb is singular. If “students” were closer, then we would use “know.”

There’s no catchy alliteration for the reverse. Just know that the verbs for plural subjects don’t end in “s,” lol.

INCORRECT: Natalie and Shayla is going skiing on Sunday.
CORRECT: Natalie and Shayla are going skiing on Sunday.

INCORRECT: Both of them wants to see the play.
CORRECT: Both of them want to see the play.
*Note: As a general rule, the subject of a sentence is never located within a prepositional phrase. Here the subject is “Both” not “them.”
**Note: The subject here, Both, is a plural indefinite pronoun. When dealing with indefinite pronouns, there are three cases: singular, plural, and dependant/singular-plural. You can find lists to study online if you want!

More Tricky Verbs

I’m sure you have already had someone tell you the differences between sit and set (to be seated vs. to place something) or lie and lay (to recline vs. to place something) or seen a teacher’s eyes light up when a student asks: “Can I go to the restroom?” (ability vs. permission); but here are some more common tricky verbs that still manage to stump some:

Rise vs. Raise:

Rise means to get or go upwards; it does not require an object

EX: Will those in the front please rise?

Raise means to lift or push something upwards; it usually requires an object.

EX: Raise the lever, Kronk!

Bring vs. Take:

Bring indicates movement towards you.

INCORRECT: May you take me the grocery bags?
CORRECT: May you bring me the grocery bags?

Take indicates movement away from you.

INCORRECT: Bring your mother this pot pie.
CORRECT: Take your mother this pot pie.

Well vs. Good

Well is an adverb

INCORRECT: I am doing good.
CORRECT: I am doing well.

INCORRECT: He did good on the test.
CORRECT: He did well on the test.

Good is an adjective

INCORRECT: She is a well president.
CORRECT: She is a good president.

INCORRECT: That was a well speech, Samantha.
CORRECT: That was a good speech, Samantha.

Distinguishing Verbals from Verbs

Verbals are not verbs! Verbals are verb-derived words and phrases that function as nouns, adjectives, and adverbs. They include participles, gerunds, and infinitives.

• Participles end in -ing, -d, -ed, -t, or, en; they are used to modify nouns and pronouns, making them adjectives.

EX: Driven by blood-lust, the tired ballerina picked up the knife herself.
*Note: The participle phrase “Driven by blood-lust” (beginning with the participle “Driven”) modifies the noun “ballerina.”

EX: Baking pies for the team, Aiden lost track of time.
*Note: The participle phrase “Baking pies for the team” (beginning with the participle “Baking”) modifies the proper noun “Aiden.”

• Gerunds end in -ing; they primarily function as nouns.

EX: Is your favorite pastime sewing?
*Note: Here, the gerund “sewing” functions as the predicate nominative in this inverted sentence. (You could also make the argument that “sewing” is the subject; the meaning of the sentence would not change.)

EX: His arriving on time has nothing to do with alarms and all to do with discipline.
*Note: Here, the gerund “arriving” is the subject of the sentence.

• Infinitives are formed through using “to” plus a verb; they can function as nouns, adjectives, or adverbs (versatile!)

(( I think there’s a famous Shakespeare quote that utilizes infinitives, but who knows :? ))

EX: To become an artist requires skill; to become a good artist requires humility.
*Note: Here the infinitives phrases “To become an artist” and “to become a good artist” function as the subjects in their respective clauses.

EX: His arriving on time has nothing to do with alarms and all to do with discipline.
*Note: This same sentence from above also includes infinitives.

**Note: Some people warn against employing split infinitives which occur when words (usually adverbs) come in between the infinitive.

SPLIT INFINITIVE: To so ardently love is a curse.
FIXED INFINITIVE: To love so ardently is a curse.

I’m neutral on this matter; grammatically, either is acceptable. When it comes to being phonetically pleasant, sometimes split infinitives work, and sometimes they don’t.

"Pronouns"
Understanding Pronoun Cases

A post of its own truly. Pronouns have three main cases: Nominative, Objective, and Personal. Each of these cases of pronouns functions in different parts of the sentence, and misunderstandings of their functions constitute an array of grammatical errors.

• Nominative (also: subjective) case pronouns are used as subjects and predicate nominatives!

INCORRECT: Kayla and her are going out. (objective case pronoun used as part of the subject)
CORRECT: Kayla and she are going out.

INCORRECT: The best designers in town are her and him. (objective case pronouns used as predicate nominatives)
CORRECT: The best designers in town are she and he.

INCORRECT: Dustin and me are getting married, Mom! (objective case pronoun used as part of the subject)
CORRECT: Dustin and I are getting married, Mom!

• Objective case pronouns are used as… objects!

Objective case pronouns are used as direct objects, indirect objects, objects of the preposition—you get it. They are probably the easiest for people to grasp because incorrect usage of these pronouns often sounds wrong to the modern ear. (Though, in any language study, please don’t rely on how things sound when trying to understand grammar.)

INCORRECT: Stop obsessing over he! (nominative case pronoun used as the object of the preposition)
CORRECT: Stop obsessing over him!
INCORRECT: We gave she the blueprints. (nominative case pronoun used as the indirect object)
CORRECT: We gave her the blueprints.

• Possessive case pronouns are used to show… possession!

(Some can be used as adjectives as well.)

ADJECTIVE: Darnell lost his lemonade.
PRONOUN: Was that lemonade his?

ADJECTIVE: Their little sister has quite the temper.
PRONOUN: Theirs was the one with yellow stripes.

Who vs. Whom

After understanding pronoun cases, knowing when to use “who” vs. “whom” is as simple as knowing the parts of the sentence.

• Who is used in the nominative (or subjective) case.

EX: It is he who deserves the medal!

• Whom is used in the objective case.

EX: To whom should I deliver the news?

✏️Practice✏️

Well, information’s only as good as you make it. If you want to practice, here are some links to online games and quizzes:

General Grammar Games
This website has a bunch of games covering a wide selection of rules and subjects. If you are having trouble with a particular element, try taking a few quizzes here!

Diagramming Sentences Practice 1
Diagramming Sentences Practice 2
Diagramming sentences is a great way to comprehend grammatical structure and visualize the sentence. I highly recommend doing this if you have spare time!

I’ll try to update this regularly :))

If you have some more grammar knowledge, please feel free to share it here! I hope it helps someone understand the language a bit better :))

30 Likes

Thank you for this thread!
Few stories that I have read in the past did not include punctuation when they include dialogue between two characters, and when talking about the plot.

Using "An" before words with vowels

They also tend to forget this simple grammar tip. Whenever the next word starts with a vowel, it should be “an” and not just “a.” For example: I went to go grab an apple (correct) vs I went to go grab a apple. (incorrect)

6 Likes

Hmm, I wonder who else is like that…? :smirk: Me
I’m just like that with the grammar in my story and on school assignments though.

3 Likes

Same, casual conversation and text lingo look very different from the work I submit for a grade :grimacing:

4 Likes

Do we have linked minds or something…?

2 Likes

Coincidence:

Another coincidence:

Another…

Maybe we’re long-lost sisters :joy:

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

This is so well done!

Question :raising_hand_woman:t3:

I’m a bit perplexed at this sentence here. In Italian we have this thing where, depending on where you place the nouns and the verb, either complement could be the subject or the object.

So in this case, if the sentence starts with “the best designers in town…”, isn’t this complement supposed to be the subject as opposed to “she and he” (or “her and him”)? Because generally speaking, it’s rather unusual to have sentences in English where the subject comes after the verb, right? So in this kind of sentence, I’ve always pictured whatever comes before the verb (in this case “the best designers in town”) as the subject and whatever came after as the object. Otherwise you could say “she and he are the best designers in town” where “she and he” would undoubtedly be the subject.

PS. I mean, it is 1 am over here so my brain has just given up on English at this point :brainfart:

Edit: ah wait, I just noticed the “predicate nominatives”. I need to brush up wow, but just to be clear, are these pronouns always considered predicate nominatives (therefore written in their subject case form) when coming after the verb to be?

Moved to General Chat since this isn’t about story creation or Episode. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, sorry, it’s late here too so I’ll look over this in the morning in case it’s incoherent, lol. I didn’t know about the rules in Italian; that’s so cool :4! I guess compared to Italian then, English would be more action than placement-based? When determining subjects and predicates, where everything is located matters less than the concept.

Yes, inverted sentences are less common in English, but they do occur every now and again. If I understand your question correctly: no, nominative case pronouns are not always predicate nominatives when coming after the verb! Hypothetically, you could have an inverted sentence w/ a nominative case subject. For example:

Where is she? (Subject “she” comes after verb “is.” Inverted sentences are mostly used in questions like this).

Did they pass the test? (Subject “they” comes in between verb phrase “did pass”).

The example was just to show that if you are using a PN to refer back to the subject, then you would need to use nominative case pronouns (your example would actually be correct and less confusing; English just likes to make simple sentences complicated, haha).

1 Like

Heyyo thankyou so much for this. :blob_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you so much for this post :relaxed:

1 Like

Makes a lot of sense now thanks!

Italian is… a very complicated language in terms of grammar :sweat_smile:
You can actually build a sentence in almost every possible combination and it’d still makes sense, English is rather rigid compared to Italian. But this also makes room to some incomprehensions in terms of grammatical analysis and that’s why I mentioned the “depending on where the complements are…” thing. Which btw doesn’t always apply either :sleepy:

I’m a huge grammar junkie to this day, so I’m glad you made this thread!

1 Like

:honeybee: ump!

bump :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Side note: If the noun is a part of the brand’s name, then it should be capitalized. So, it can be “North Valley Orchard Apples,” but only if that’s the full name of the brand. Just a helpful note for anyone who is unsure.

1 Like

Bump!

B u M pP

Bump!

Side note: You might want to make a note of “oxford commas” because some people don’t think it’s necessary, but others do, so it’s really a matter of preference.

1 Like

Ooh yes, one of the most heated debates; I’ll add it in!

1 Like