On negativity in the community

Hey, just gonna share my thoughts on the trend of negativity on here that I’ve observed within these past few weeks, so I apologize if this seems unstructured.

I’ve been noticing a lot more posts directed at story types, and even certain stories themselves, stating “this or that needs to stop”, or something along those lines, lots of them being from the same people. While these topics are interesting and can start many discussions, I’m not exactly sure how I feel about them.

To be fair, they often have valid points. But on the other hand, these posts are often dramatized to the fullest extent, and the truth is stretched. To be honest I’m pretty tired of seeing them.

Shouldn’t we as a community start expressing what we like in a story rather than dislike? I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve always found that more helpful. If you’re studying for a test and your teacher provides a study guide, it’s not gonna state what not to learn, it’s going to tell you what you need to study.

Do you see what I’m trying to get at here? I know this post won’t magically transform the community, but I hope we can slowly work towards less negative language.

As an upcoming Author, I would love to know what Readers dislike about stories they’ve read, IE; short episodes ; not updating enough , etc
For me as an upcoming author, it’s really beneficial because it shows me what NOT to do when writing & so far i’ve learned a lot.

I think that as long as we can:
A) See the difference between something that’s unhealthy and dangerous vs. something we just don’t like (Romanticizing rape and abuse vs. Pregnancy stories)
B) Be courteous and mature when discussing something we don’t like.
There should be no problems. It’s when we get rude and impolite or try to force our own opinion on others that issues start to arise.

You are right, I just don’t understand people who complain about everything without any content behind.
I recently received a fanmail stating that my story is the very worst on Episode. Since I’m the “doesn’t give a sh*t kind of girl”, first it just made me laugh, but then also made me think about other authors who are more sensitive and could be offended by these kind of mails. I would never comment on a story I don’t like, unless it is constructive criticism. And it’s the same case for creating content on the forum. There are many stories on the app that I don’t like. But would I feel better if I started listing them here (and even dramatize my issues with them as you mentioned)? No, so I just don’t read them.

It’s important to know what your readers don’t like. And usually it’s things that makes sense, like very bad grammar and spelling or bad directing that seems that the author just was too lazy to proofread it. But most of it actually have a lot to do with opinions, and you can’t please everyone.

I have been strugling to write. I have the story and the motivation and everything I need, but at the same time I don’t have motivation. I stare at a blank paper, write something and erase it. It’s like it wasn’t good enough. I just came to realize, after thinking about it for a while. Maybe it’s me blocking myself, trying to make a story everyone likes.

That analogy is a false equivalency, writing a story and taking a test aren’t the same thing. Writing a story you want people to read and enjoy is more like opening a restaurant you want to people to like and to eat at. If I were opening a restaurant I would want to know what people liked to eat but I would also want to know what people disliked about other restaurants so that I don’t make the same mistakes. Also I think it’s about more than just knowing what readers want and don’t want, I haven’t come across any over dramatized posts so I can’t speak to that but I have read a lot of respectful discourse on toxic tropes and I think it’s important for us to have those conversations. Being critical of the status quo and questioning what we accept is how we grow. I think as long as everyone is being respectful it’s not bad to share what you dislike or to call out something that you think is unacceptable. Personally I think the whole “more positivity in the world why can’t things be sunshine and moonbeams always” thing is a farce, it’s naive and childish and you need both positivity and negativity to live a balanced life. Sometimes it’s more satisfying to complain and sometimes it feels better to find joy in things. There are threads for favorite stories/favorite authors so not everything is about what readers hate.

Feel free to flag any threads that you feel violate any of the forum guidelines/rules. If they do it will be addressed by the forum team. But we cannot do anything about users expressing their opinions. :peace_symbol:

Oh no, these posts definitely are not breaking any rules, and they definitely are allowed to voice their opinions. I was referencing the abundance of these negative opinions lately as I am not a big fan of them. Sorry for the misunderstanding, if there was one.

This was written out pretty late at night, so as you can imagine there are many mistakes. I had the word “complaining” somewhere hidden deep in my mind while typing this, and @Annieways somehow understood that and was able to understand my point, so thank you, by the way!

I am talking about constant complaining. I’m not a huge fan of it, being an optimistic sort of person. The posts I’m speaking to often complain without giving some sort of call to action, or a solution to the problem they are complaining about. The quote “be the change you want to see in the world” comes to mind.

Also, looking back on my original message, I speak about expressing what you like in a story rather than what you dislike. What I intended to say was, every negative point of view can be shifted into something positive sounding.

Example:
“I don’t like it when authors make the antagonist a blonde, mean girl.”
“I like it when every character is three-dimensional and free of stereotypes.”

Which one do you guys find more helpful? I personally prefer the second one, but maybe that’s just how my mind works.

I didn’t want to edit the original text as I wanted to own up to my mistakes. Thank you for understanding and I respect your guys’ opinions.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with constructive criticism or expressing opinions. But it should be approached in a mature way as @Caitoriri mentioned.

Sorry, I must have missed that.

I know most writers want to write stories that would please people, but quite honestly, I find that a very much creativity killer.

I fully believe that people should write what they want to write, what they want to express. If you wanna write a one-dimensional Mary Sue character in a love sextant in a space vampires setting, go for it! Because at the end of the day, you should enjoy what you are doing. You cannot please everyone, and it’s best not to want to do that a lot in the first place. I’m not saying do not listen to your readers, but you should take their advices and ideas at face value and go with your gut, with your own creativity. It’s your story you are putting in display for the others to also enjoy. If they don’t like it, then they can click the little door at the corner of the scene and find something they would like better.

As for writing stuff with mature ‘problematic’ themes, I find it concerning that:

1. fictional stuff keeps being treated as if they are real
  2. fictional stuff is a reflection of your real self
  3. people think so little of each other that they are not capable of telling fiction and reality apart and observing the content they take in with a critical eye: if you have a problem with differenciating fiction from reality, you had that issue long before you read that Gang Leader Romance story, and you are in need of some serious mental help.

There is also the fact some people use fiction to cope with their traumas and experiences, so by demanding that people delete their stories depicting rape, abuse, and violance, you are invalidating those people’s experiences, and you are denying them an outlet through which they express themselves.

Even if you don’t have any trauma to cope with, you know what? People’s minds are fascinating. You cannot be faulted for wanting to observe it through fictional means that are safe and harms literally no one (let’s not act like under-18 kids are morons, people. They are just as capable of forming their own opinions and criticising the content they take in as us adults are).

Simply use warnings, people. Let the readers know what they are dealing with here. After that, you know what? You are not responsible for anything. If a person still takes in a content that upsets them despite the warnings and the knowledge that those themes upset them, it’s on them.

Closing due to one month of inactivity :slight_smile: