One Lesser-Known Thing about My Country

Hey fair people of the forum,

I thought of this quick thing anyone interested can do. Basically, you can talk about one thing that is probably not known to the wider world or mainstream news, just something interesting about where you are from, are living in, anywhere you feel home! Landmarks, Culture, Weird History… It can be as simple as debunking a common preconception or stereotype (or alternative fact).
Hopefully, this wouldn’t get too political. :neutral_face:

Anyways, for my piece I found out during an Environmental Studies lesson that Singapore is considered to create one of the biggest ecological footprints in the world. Making sense since it’s small. That’s why lately we have these green technology and sustainable farming coming up lately!

Edit: For people from the US or big places with diverse states/provinces/etc, you can talk about your home state/city!

11 Likes

I love Singapore :heart_eyes: I would love to go back there someday and eat my body weight in bak kut teh

I feel like the States are pretty well known… BUT something some people may not know about DC is that we actually get more rain than Seattle :exploding_head:
(This feels especially relevant as the rain today is taking us over our yearly expected rainfall)

3 Likes

Glad you love Singapore, especially the food :grin:

2 Likes

Mmmm people think the USA is not racist but it really is.

I wouldn’t say the entire USA is but I do believe the people running the country are. Just because those controlling the place are ‘racist’ doesn’t mean the people in it are.

3 Likes

Well most of the people living inside of the USA are, trust me.

I mean any country could be to some extent, but I get what you mean.

2 Likes

Yeah. But everywhere you go here in the States, there is always at least one person who has to notice someone’s skin color and hate them for it. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

A lot of people seem to think we all wear clogs in my country (The Netherlands), but we don’t!

3 Likes

Well, yes but it’s like that everywhere. There isn’t a place where someone doesn’t think like that, even if they don’t say anything out loud.

2 Likes

Besides, this was kind of what I meant about political stuff.

2 Likes

My country is Ireland and we are home to a lot of musical stars. Take Niall Horan, Hozier, Sinéad O’Connor, Shane McGowan (he made Fairytale of New York), Westlife & Brian McFadden, Vogue Williams and others!

3 Likes

my mom lived in Singapore and Hong Kong for a few years before she came to the United States

1 Like

Im from Singapore haha

1 Like

Australia: We had a prime minister who went swimming one day and never returned years ago… No one knows what happened to him still to this day.

11 Likes

X-Files theme plays

When did this happen?

3 Likes

Harold Holt, 1969

6 Likes

Nice :blush:

1 Like

One thing about my country New Zealand: We have a 7 sheep to 1 person, sheep to person ratio. However, this doesn’t mean we are sheep shaggers. Like come on. Really??? How did you come up with that one? That’s just gross and wrong!!!

5 Likes

HAHA. @xXMagicalUnicornXx, you clearly need to hear the story my best mate’s father told me. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

New Zealand: We have the World’s steepest residential street and it’s drivable; Baldwin St. HAHA. My grandma was taught how to do hill starts (in the car) on this street. :wink:

6 Likes