Opening Scene Error

ss
So I’m struggling with this opening scene. I’m wanting to open with everything in place (e.g. the overlay and position of the character).
Everytime I’m changing how it’s layed out and structured in the portal, it’s either opening with everything out of place or it’s opening with everything in place but the scene is showing before I add @transition curtain out_top.

If anyone can help me with this problem, I would really appreciate it. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Moved to Directing Helps and Tips since this involves coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

Hey! What you need to do to fix this is place the overlay commands and spots before the transition, and use the & command instead of the @ command. This is what I mean:

INT. BED GREEN PILLOWS with BLANKET
&overlay BLANKET shifts to -52 -102
&overlay BLANKET scales to 3.844 3.000
&MADISON spot 1.280 82 119 AND MADISON is hug_neutral_pose
@transition curtain in_top

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, you could ‘simplify’ these commands to make it more tidy. To do this, you could put the ‘overlay shift’ and ‘overlay scale’ commands on the same line, like this:

&overlay BLANKET shifts to -52 -102 AND overlay BLANKET scales to 3.844 3.000

Or, you could place the coordinates for the overlay within the background, like this:

INT. BED GREEN PILLOWS with BLANKET to 3.844 -52 -102

Whatever you decide to do, please reply to tell me if it has worked. All three should work the same but it depends how you’d like to lay it out :smiley:
Hope this helped! :kissing_heart:

@MackenzieWritesIG
It worked! Thank you so much for the help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad it worked, and no problem, I am happy that I’ve been able to help you.
Good luck with your story :heart:

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve also messaged you on instagram, I don’t know whether you’ve recieved it. :star:

1 Like

By the way, what’s the difference between starting with ‘&’ and ‘@’?

1 Like

I have just checked Instagram, thank you so much for liking all of my posts and following me, I appreciate it a lot! I have followed you back too :heart|

1 Like

When you write ‘&’ in the script it means that no matter what other commands are happening, the action wrote with the ‘&’ symbol will happen anyway. This means that when you use ‘&’ before the overlay positions they will move to the spot before the transition as the transition is a ‘@’ and the overlay position is a ‘&’
Hope this also helps you out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, so when I use ‘&’ instead of ‘@’ it basically happens quicker?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.