Opinion on Paid Commissions?

Hey there! So I recently had someone message me on Instagram asking if I did paid commissions. I had only thought about it a few times but decided that it wouldn’t work in the first place and I’m not the best with figuring out prices.

Of course the prices would change depending on the number of characters and the scale of body that is shown /bust/waist/head/full-body etc. I have no one else to ask, I even asked my mother and she was happy for me but also unsure and right off the bat said I must charge 300 rand which is 20 American dollars. :rofl:

What are your thoughts on the prices? Even if you say you wouldn’t pay, any opinion (not too harsh though :sweat_smile:) is welcome.

Examples

13 Likes

You should totally do them!

4 Likes

You should definitely go for it!

3 Likes

@AMagic @ELx thank you guys! Really motivating me x

3 Likes

I think that will be against the guidelines of episode since you use I may be wrong their art as an outline for yours

5 Likes

also 20 dollers is a lot for art there is not in your own style. this looks like outlines of episode art. if you did your own art not episode looking then I would say go for it. but as long as it look like episode then no

1 Like

Absolutely, your work is amazing. :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Oooh I see. I did use their characters as a reference (their faces) but changed it up a bit. I’ll have to develop a new style then.

Of course I did my own research (I’ll need to read the guidelines tho) on commissions and looked at other artists on Instagram. For example, Jenny, love her art, does paid commissions and it is also, like mine, similar to the episode style (mainly the faces though.) the body is free-hand or from a different reference to episode related.

2 Likes

she cant do that. it is kinda art theft. I do my own orginal but I dont sell it. because I am not that good with coloring.

1 Like

Your art is wonderful and that’s a reasonable price. I don’t know much about what counts as an episode asset but I don’t think it’s as simple as “that’s art theft” when the poses are custom and the hair & features are based on episode styles but not an exact replica of them. See what official guidelines you can find on the forums.

5 Likes

From what I can tell, it’s fine. Your artworks aren’t “edits, altered renderings or composites”.

6 Likes

@LiyahxWrites thank you! xxx

@norfolkowl thank you for this! I read through the post and even though my art is not an outline of a character, their faces are still quite similar and that is something I should change to be safe.

4 Likes

I would send in a ticket in which you ask the team, attach some pictures to your mail and ask if something like that would be okay (:

3 Likes

Thanks, will do x

1 Like

Like the smart person above me said, you should send a support ticket to make sure that Episode is okay with it, and that you understand completely!

2 Likes

I sent a ticket, explaining the situation and what could be a problem. Am waiting on their response which I’m sure will take a while x

1 Like

I agree with what everyone else has said- I think your art is good, but it looks a bit too similar to Episode’s style. IMO Jenny’s is just different enough to be okay, but I’m not an expert lol.
There is someone else selling what I consider Episode edits on IG, and while her edits are good, if she gets caught, she could be in trouble. So I’d definitely either check with Episode or change up the faces like you said :slight_smile:

As for the price- $20 USD/character? Or would it be $20/USD for anything?

Yeah I’ll have to tweak their faces :face_with_monocle: thank you x Yeah I agree with the Jenny thing. Her style falls away from episode edits yet it still has that aura, that’s what I’m trying to find so it’s still episode related. Cause I don’t want to have to change their whole look.

It’d most probably be 15-20 dollars for a single character from the waist up (depending on complexity), plus 10 dollars for each extra character. Not set on a price, not gonna focus on that until I get a response from the team.

1 Like

I think those prices are reasonable. They’re on the lower end and it’s something I’d pay (I’ve commissioned art before).
I started following you on IG. Definitely keep us updated on what you decide to do!

1 Like

I wouldn’t pay cause I’m broke af, and my parents would never let me, but I think that you should totally go for it! Your art is definitely something I’d pay for if I could, and $20 seems a reasonable price for a cover or art scene or something.

3 Likes