Opinions on "400 lines" to Publish?

It’s right down the bottom where you go to buy passes - unlimited passes for a month and no advertising.

Thanks, I’m gonna buy it soon.

1 Like

As a new author, I was pissed. After I got the hang of coding. I realised that 400 lines is to short. I aim for at least 800-900 lines for the first 3 episodes. I personally don’t like 30 minutes episode. So 10 minutes is what I aim for.

2 Likes

Omg, imagine 30 minute episodes. hell no. I have netflix for that.

4 Likes

honestly… don’t be fixated on Lines…

the number of lines say absolutely nothing about how long an episode is…

400 lines would be for me like 1-2 minute content. With all directing commands etc and I don’t use many empty lines in between.

Just time your Episode :slight_smile: When you think your done, read through the whole episode and check how long it took you to get through it.

I feel 10-15 min are perfect :slight_smile: but that are personal preferences. :smiley:

But please don’t be impressed or shocked when an author tells you s/he wrote 4000 lines… while another author could have written the same stuff in 1000 or 1500 lines… it doesn’t matter :slight_smile: some prefer more space, some prefer a dense coding :woman_shrugging:

so just time your Episode lenght and ignore the line numbers :smiley:

4 Likes

Is 400 lines too short??

I’ve been writing to make my chapters 1000 - 1300 lines. I hope people don’t think I’m too long winded. :joy:

1 Like

How long is your episodes cause girl that seems like a lot :astonished:

I personally think that’s usually a good length (although it completely depends on your writing/directing style as some people have more spaces/commands than others).
Mine average 2000 lines (excluding branching) but that ends up being 15 minutes of reading time (give or take a few minutes).

5 Likes

I also go for around 10 minutes of play time per episode, and depending on what’s included in that chapter (animated overlays, spot directing, a little branching, etc.) they range from 1200 to 3000 lines… but still with a play time of about 10 minutes.
Lines are honestly the worst way to judge the length of an episode😂

2 Likes

Hmmm…maybe like 15 minutes? I do a lot of coding (Like, I manually place all my speech bubbles and do a lot of zooming and spot directing). I haven’t timed myself reading it yet, I’m going to wait until I run through to do the final draft.

After chapter three, I’ll probably pull back some and be less meticulous. I just think the first 3 or so chapters are the most important to get perfect, since those are the hook chapters that will make people decide if they wanna stick around or not.

@EliseC

I think that’s a good length, too! 10-15 minutes seems like the popular option. I like having a lot of branching and custom directing. I try not to overdo it, but it just looks so much more polished and unique if you put in the extra effort. :slight_smile:

2 Likes