Opinions on Culture Appropriation?

Hi.

Now, everyone’s opinions will be different when it comes to this topic. Do not throw insults out to people, don’t start fights and wars… Remain peaceful and calm.

(I kinda got this topic from the thread talking about adding more “black cultural hairstyles”, and I wanted a thread to speak on it.)

Idk if this would count as culture or not, but I’ll start on “African-American” hairstyles. Personally, as a POC I do not find anything wrong with someone with light skin wearing them. We all have different types of hair, and even if their hair wasn’t hard to care for, I think braided hairstyles are low matenience, and you don’t have to mess with your hair for real for quite a while. I don’t think a race should be limited to their hairstyles, and I in no way would be offended if I saw a light-skinned person wearing cornrows.

I understand what you’re saying,
Dreads and braided hairstyles actually originated from Greek and Egyptian culture; not just African American culture.

In my opinion it is a good thing to share culture, such as hairstyle, food, clothing, etc. with people because it is great to learn about other cultures or other people’s way of life.

This theme is so important!

In my opinion there is a difference between cultre APROPRIATION and culture APRECIATION!

In some cases like some types of hairstyles and all that I do not find any kind of problem in different people trying them out, unless it is some sacred clothing or hair style from a particular culture that only they use it (like the japanese traditional kimono and many others and even that can be used as a way of paying respect) what’s the big deal?

I’m from portugal and we do have a few characteristic symbols that I can’t explain, but if I saw someone wearing clothes with them or having them at home I’d be proud that my culture reached them.

If it is not used in a way to mock or being superior than others, I think people should just accept that not everyone wants to offend them and culture should be something to be shared and apreciated, not restricted to a certain community.

I think what you said in the second paragraph is interesting. I definitely agree that sharing cultural dishes is a great way to teach people about other cultures.

I disagree with you, @ZADDY. Braided hairstyles did not originate from Greek and Egypt. Braiding started in Africa with the Himba people of Namibia. The greeks, Egyptians and many other people did, however, make their own variation of braiding (using what the African tribes had) decades after the Himba people came up with it.

I feel like a lot of black people including my sister make this so called theft of culture as something that it’s not. If white people can’t wear French Braids and other of these so called black styles then I shouldn’t be able to wear my hair straight. I honestly see people like Kim K wearing the French braids and cornrows and I love that she likes my cultur. People can say all these things about the Kardashians, but at least we know they’re not racist. :woman_shrugging:t5: Honestly there are some culture vultures who wears things without knowing the meaning, but I’m not going to go out of my way to critique them other than to let them know. What I can’t agree with is white people claiming they’re black or people like Halsey, who looks white and only mentions she’s 1/4th black out of convenience.

I disagree with you when you compared them wearing braids with you wearing your hair straight. I suggest that you research more on the slavery times and how black people had to relax their hair by force (it was a law). Relaxing one’s hair and wearing braids are two completely different things.

Google it. It wasn’t founded in Africa, it was founded in India. They found evidence in India, Greece, and Egypt.

The ancient Vedic scriptures of India which are thousands of years old have the earliest evidence of jaata/locks which are almost exclusively worn by holy men and women. It has been part of a religious practice for Shiva followers.

Some of the earliest depictions of dreadlocks date back as far as 3600 years to the Minoan Civilization, one of Europe’s earliest civilizations, centred in Crete (now part of Greece).[8] Frescoes discovered on the Aegean island of Thera (modern Santorini, Greece) depict individuals with braided hair styled in long dreadlocks.[9][8]

In ancient Egypt, examples of Egyptians wearing locked hairstyles and wigs have appeared on bas-reliefs, statuary and other artifacts.[10] Mummified remains of ancient Egyptians with locked wigs have also been recovered from archaeological sites.[11]

I’m Native American and I don’t get pissed when I see people wearing native feathers or cultural clothing.

America is the cultural melting pot. I think it’s amazing that we can share each other’s cultures. I think it’s inappropriate when people wear cultural items poorly or butcher it. But by sharing each other’s cultures were taking steps closer to respecting each other and stopping cultural discrimination.

Yes, there’s people from all around the world here! I’m not sure about other countries, of course as I haven’t been to them.

I did google it to be extra sure. The greeks did have their own variation of braids, but it was only after the Africans came up with it.

I just realized that we may not be discussing the same thing. I am talking about braids, not dreadlocks. One could argue that dreadlocks originated in Asia.

I said that braids originate in Africa, not dreadlocks. Dreadlocks can be traced to just about every civilizations in history. Braids’ history cannot. For this reason, the 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that banning dreadlocks in the workplace was not discriminatory, as almost every civilization has some kind of claim to it (I mean, even the bible mentions locs in the Samson’s story - Samson lost his strength when his locs were shaved).

Braids is even different. Native Americans used braids? Braids are a pretty worldly thing

I agree with you on that. Braids are different. We were talking about two different things without realizing it :joy:

Lots of other cultures were braids not just black people and I understand where you are coming from though.

white people are not the only ones to have straight hair. black people are the only ones to naturally have kinky hair.

isn’t Egypt in Africa?

Yes but Egypt is a different culture.
This whole dreads and braids argument is that it’s appropriation to black culture.
Those hair styles belonged to many different cultures. So it’s ignorant to say it’s offensive to black culture.
I’m Native American and we wore braids?
Greeks and Egyptians wore braids and dreads.

It was also in Europe.

Braids originated in Africa with an African tribe. Greeks and Egyptians saw these braids before they starting. Like I said earlier, dreadlocks are a whole different story. Dreadlocks do not belong to one culture/people.

I think you are mistaking braids from dreadlocks. Braids and dreadlocks are two different things.