Opinions on non customizing stories

Does customization bother people when it comes to stories? How do you feel on stories that won’t let you customize. Is that a deal breaker for you?

6 Likes

I always like to make my characters melanated… so customization is important to me.

6 Likes

I get you, i’m making a story with melanated characters because theres not many stories like that but i want to use my own customization so i don’t know.

3 Likes

It depends, If I already like what the main characters looks like I’m okay with it, but otherwise I really do prefer customizatian

5 Likes

I am doing the same thing…

And if you have a specific vision for your characters , you can always have limited customization as an option as well. That’s what I have for my story.

2 Likes

Well i don’t really know how to do the customization coding anyways but whats your story called

2 Likes

In my opinion, I don’t like customizing characters (unless it’s a “you” story).

I like to see and keep the characters the way the author imagines them to be. However, many people do like and appreciate the option to customize. It all depends on the reader imo.

7 Likes

same, i’d rather not put my name in stories i just like to read them as they are.

6 Likes

Sometimes I don’t customize the characters but I prefer if the authors still gives us a choice to customize who knows if we change our mind later on.

Given the choice to customize the MC and LI is good. Customizing more than 2 characters annoys me. Haha

5 Likes

I always play with the original characters, I don’t change a thing unless their lip color doesn’t match or something like that :heart:
I think it mantens the essence of the story, if you change them, it kind of “breaks” the story a little

8 Likes

No, but cast diversity does.

8 Likes

yes, I prefer characters to be customizable but i don’t care if it’s limited 'cause I just change for eg. eye shape, I don’t care about the color
I usually don’t read stories that son’t have any kind of customization or I read it if I like how the characters look for eg. in The Empire

4 Likes

Not important to me. I like to read it as a story. Sometimes if I customise, it backfires.

6 Likes

I don’t really change something in my character.
So, customization is not important for me

2 Likes

What do you mean you don’t want to customize the LI’s aunt’s friend’s brother’s neice? I never read stories unless I have the option to customize my great aunt’s sister’s cousin’s girlfriend! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Depends. I don’t mind if there’s not customization based on art, limbs, overlays etc. It just ruins the vibe!
Some characters also don’t make sense to be changed at all.
For example, in Lyrics Story, MC is black. It wouldn’t make sense to change her

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

2 Likes

No customization for the MC in a story is 100% a deal breaker for me- no ifs ands or buts.

1.) I have to like how the MC looks or else it’s impossible for me to get into a story and no offense to authors who do this but everytime i’ve come across a story with no customizaion the MC ended up being ugly. Episode is visual it’s not like a regular story book so it’s hard to ignore something you don’t visually like especially the MC who’s in 100% of the story dang near.

2.) I love being able to self insert into a story- when I make the MC look like me in real life it feels like i’m actually in the story and helps me to get more emotionally attached to the MC and to the story since it’s almost like i’m going on this journey.

Now do I get mad at authors who have no customization in their stories? Of course not because at the end of the day it’s their story, they have the right to do what they want and i’d want them to do what makes them happy not what makes readers happy. Now do I get bummed out when I come across a story that sounds amazing but has no customizaion? OMG yes but bottom line it’s something I need the stories I read to have. Just like it’s the authors right to write a story without customization it’s also my right to have an opinion on it. Tbh really the only negative I have when it comes to that is when authors aren’t honest about their story not having customizaion, won’t tell readers in the story summary or the first chapter and will let chapters pass before they let readers know because by doing that readers are wasting precious passes.

Just my opinion tho :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I prefer stories with customisation, but it’s not a big deal if there isn’t any and it’s certainly not a deal breaker. Although I like to create my characters myself, I respect authors and their creativity and the way they envisioned their characters. However, I don’t like the stories in which there is no CC but characters have no diversity whatsoever (all white characters, blond girls with big pouty lips, dark haired mysterious guys and most of the characters have “ocean blue” or “black as darkness” eyes, like there are no other hair and eye colours :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

i prefer to read with the original characters bcuz i just don’t see why the reader would customize characters that are meant to be their own person with their own features and flaws and all that yk? omg that sounds so bitchy but i just think characters are something that shouldn’t be customized. like, unless it’s a story where the main character is actually supposed to be yourself, then i don’t see the point. however, it is very annoying when authors use repetitive features and don’t include any melanated/diverse characters of importance.

1 Like