Opinions on physical abuse in stories, specifically the use of the slapping animation on other characters

Well, I would never do that but I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t do it either, so it was theoretical but I don’t see this happening, ever.

The only time I’ve used the slap animation is when a male character emotionally hurt a female character. I don’t think a slap is a huge, huge deal exactly. I don’t think we should go around slapping people that hurt or irritate us, but in my story, she slaps him out of seething pain and anger and an argument could be made that it is deserved, but I truly believe this depends on individuals, not genders.

Not saying slapping people is right, but it definitely is just something that happens, and I don’t think anyone that sees someone being slapped thinks, “Oh, that’s just fine. There’s nothing wrong with that.” It is probably a mix of emotions like…

“Yeah, he shouldn’t have done that, but I don’t think it justified her actions completely, either.” You can kinda see both sides, especially depending on the individuals involved. Like if a mother slapped her child, most people would feel like, “Aw…that’s fucked.” But you just wouldn’t really bat an eye because maybe for those individuals, that strategy works.

It is true that if some, certain people get hit for doing something wrong, they don’t do that wrong thing again. X’DDDD They learn from it. I think it shouldn’t be a first resort exactly, but it can be very effective.

2 Likes

I think it’s equally bad whether it’s a male slapping a female, a female slapping a male or same genders slapping each other.
I’ve seen the slapping animation being used in comics as well and it doesn’t really bother me in that kind of situations since it doesn’t necessarily mean that the author thinks physical abuse is okay.

When I do see authors using the slapping animation in stories without it being for comedic purposes, it’s mostly female characters slapping males/other female characters because they’re mad or hurt in any way. An example I’ve seen more than once is the female character slapping the male character because he said something she thinks is hurtful - often something about the way she looks and then the female character is like “How dare you!” and then slaps the male character. I find that it’s often widely accepted in situations like these but if the roles were reversed, people (probably women especially) would go crazy. If a male ever as much as laid a hand on a female just because she said something a little hurtful, people would be mad but when it’s the female getting physical with a male? It’s suddenly okay and I don’t like that.

Also, slapping someone for petty reasons like the example I mentioned above is never okay but authors - whether it’s on Episode or real life TV shows, movies etc. - widely uses slapping this way and I think it has almost become a normal thing. It’s such a shame because it makes people think it’s okay to ‘lightly’ physically hurt someone just because they hurt you, too.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the story and as to why the slap animation was used. I honestly think that in some stories which has abuse in it is ok as long as it’s done in a sensitive way.

I feel we have started living in a world where abuse is a taboo topic and it shouldn’t be. It’s important we recognise abuse and do what we can to stop it.

I was sexually harassed at school and wether people just turned a blind eye or just didn’t notice what it was I’ll never know as it even took place in lessons with the teacher not saying or doing a thing It took me a while to realise what it was.

I’m not saying it should be used excessively in stories but especially where they over come the abuse might give someone hope if they can relate.

This is just my opinion of course Xx

I’m stronger than my dad, people. Woman can’t not be stronger than them. Yeah, men are often stronger, but that doesn’t mean we should say that it’s bad if men slap women but not if women slap men. I mean, are you just going to ignore it if a girl decides to start bullying a boy? All that separates us is our gender/sex. Are you really going to let that boy be mentally scarred over gender?

Overall, I think slapping is okay… but not for small reasons, I mean in reality, people don’t slap each other that much, they just shout. By ‘in reality’, I mean in high school arguments (which is where most slapping in Episode takes place).

1 Like

Of course women can be stronger than men, but in my opinion, it is very unusual. Femicide prevails all around the world for a reason… the same reason you will also want to hire a man to unload a truck.

As for the main point, I do use those animations, a lot, but never in a comedic context. Physical abuse is always wrong, no matter the circumstances. In my stories, genre does not make a difference. When someone punches/slaps someone else, it is always to show how wrong it is. Of course, I am not going to lie and say I never use it to make a point like “hey, look, these two are rivals”, but in that case, it is usually between a woman and another woman or a man and another man.

On a side note regarding genders, I do not feel uncomfortable at all when a man hits a woman in Episode. I watch the news, I know plenty of women (and two men, I must add) who suffer abuse on a daily basis, so honestly, it is realistic. What it is not realistic, though, is that both authors and readers gloss it over.

Am I saying that it is okay for Episode stories to normalise physical abuse? Not exactly… but then again, it is normal, is it not? We live in violent world, so I really do not blame authors who use these animations many times throughout their stories. Unless we are talking about those who have no idea what they are doing. I am sure everyone here knows what I am referring to.

6 Likes

Honestly, this animation is overused, especially in cliche stories. A scene where this animation is used so often i know of is probably at a club, and a female slaps another female because they are in an argument. It’s honestly annoying.

How do you feel about opposite sexes slapping each other
I don’t think it’s right, honestly slapping or hitting is never right, therefore I don’t think it is right and it should not be overused like it is.

I could go on and on but I made it short :blush:

2 Likes