Opinons on mafia stories?

Same! I don’t really mind them its just that the topic is kinda overused and sometimes however if there is a twist on there then thats a story I’d read :joy:

1 Like

Do you like to read glorified mafia stories !? :)))) :speak_no_evil: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No!!

Summary

Good for you, carry on.

Yes! :)) They’re my favorite!

Summary

TW: mentions of r*pe and murder

I can’t believe it’s 2020 and this still needs to be said, but for all of you who didn’t listen (or care) the other multiple times this was said, here you go:

“Just because someone likes reading/writing Mafia stories, doesn’t mean they want to experience it in real life”

Doesn’t take away from the fact that you’re glorifying something that actual people have experienced and possibly lost their life from as well.

“What about the show ‘You’?”

The actor himself told people to stop glorifying his character. Joe is a stalker and a murder, in most stories, he would be the LI.

https://www.bustle.com/p/penn-badgleys-you-tweets-emphasize-that-fans-really-need-to-stop-romanticizing-his-character-joe-15732047

“But what about people who watch crime shows? Isn’t that the same thing?”

Is the murderer the love interest? If not, it’s likely it’s not actually being romanticized. Carry on watching your crime fiction.

“But these characters develop”

Murderers, rapists, abusers, etc… Don’t get to be redeemed after harassing people for years. It doesn’t work like that. 98% of the time, the abuser doesn’t even have any consequences to their actions.

“BuT thE aUtHor WorKed HarD”

Clearly not hard enough since they aren’t portraying the mafia correctly.

“So we can’t write mafia stories anymore?”

No one said to stop writing mafia stories, we said to stop glorifying them because it’s disgusting.

“BUt ThE baD BoYs”

Real “bad boys” aren’t abusers. If your bad boy mentally abused the MC and other women/men throughout the whole story, but suddenly changes just because the MC saw the “good in him” congratulations, you have officially glorified abuse.

“Let people write what they want to write”

You can write whatever the hell you want to write, but the moment it starts glorifying murder, abuse, SA, etc, don’t be surprised when people call you out on it. Yes, we the moral police are against glorifying toxic situations.

So many people have said this, but some people just don’t care. If you haven’t listened to the multiple people who have told you how disgusting, harmful, toxic mafia stories are and why they shouldn’t be romanticized, I don’t see how this thread would be any different for you. If you don’t want to care, you won’t. It’s as simple as that. For you to sit there and go to extreme lengths to dignify your opinion is insulting. So next time you decide to write a story that glorified the mafia, or decide to read one just because, I hope you keep in mind all the people who were killed, abused, threatened, raped and harmed by an organization you choose to romanticize for the sake of your story.

25 Likes

:neutral_face:

1. depiction is not endorsement
  2. they’re a fictional character
  3. Liking a character or concept doesn’t mean you’d encourage said character in real life
  4. Who tf made you judge and executioner on how people write and enjoy episode?
  5. So, even if they change they can’t do anything that isn’t 100% lawful good and criminal=child rapist (if there are pedo episode LI, they are in the VAST minority
  6. You can complain, but I probably won’t read it.
3 Likes

Imagine living in a place where an organization threatens you and your family, possibly kills someone who you know and love, rapes multiple people, and overall plagues your country, just to see it being glorified in a story. How would you feel? I’m assuming you maybe just don’t care about the lives lost, so keep romanticizing other’s suffering, love.

13 Likes

The thing people need to realize, is that committing a crime is not a flaw people get to overcome (especially not for “the sake of love”)

You can write/read the mafia stories, but the thing is, those stories in the app are glorified, things are romantic and perfect, and that’s not the way to do it

If you want to write it, take the caracters accountable, make them suffer consequences, not just “he is a better person now” and never mentioning it again

Seriously, it’s not that hard :woman_facepalming:

11 Likes

Youre, right. Depiction is not enorsement, but are you aware that the kids on this app are as young as 13? Why do you think parents are supposed to teach and make choices for their children? Answer: because they’re too young to fully understand what’s right and what’s wrong.
These mafia stories romanticize mafias. I don’t think you understand how it feels to have a 6 month old baby murdered for being recognized as the daughter of a mafia member, do you? when you romanticize these mafias, you make it look good or cool?
They’re not supposed to look good-- so this statement is ignorant for this topic.

so if I made a movie about a sociopathic stalker, but I made that stalker look good to these young kids, encouraging them that it isn’t bad because it’s just a movie, what would you think? I mean, they’re just “fictional characters,” right? lol

13 Likes

I would kind of like to see the mafia LI to be sent to jail, kind of like in Goodfellas where they get caught and then sent to jail. :woman_shrugging:

11 Likes

Say it louder :raised_hands:

11 Likes

annnnd to the people who have family members who have faced trama for for being in a mafia, you are heavily belitting their experiences with your entire statement

11 Likes

The fact that something is fictional doesn’t make it any better. Would you be okay with anything if it was fictional? I don’t think so.

First, if you write and publish something, it means it will get critiqued. It is public.
And second, people should write about things they know. If they’d really know what mafia is, they wouldn’t glorify that behaviour. And no, I don’t mean knowing the subject on the surface, shallowly. I mean reading in depth about the history, about the victims.
It makes me sad that things like these have to be said.

14 Likes

exactly. @Some_kid let’s say I romanticize a pedophile.
it doesn’t make it okay just because it’s fictional. :woman_shrugging:
same thing with mafias, gangs, and other dangerous concepts.

14 Likes

The fact that they’re a fictional character can’t and won’t excuse that the author is promoting and glorifying some of the most dangerous organizations in the world.

10 Likes

explain to me why these guidlines exist? what is the purpose? to prevent the promotion of negative concepts, right? so what happens when people don’t follow the guildines? what happens then the guildines are made, but even episode promotes toxcicity in their own stories to younger kids? You expect nobody to speak up about it?

just because it isn’t directly affecting you, it doesn’t mean the world revolves around you.

6 Likes
If anyone just can't take the facts, let me throw in some authorities in the matter
  • Criminals kill far more people than do armed conflicts and terrorist attacks put together, and organized crime groups and street gangs have slain about as many people as all the world’s wars in the 21st century
  • Among the factors cited as driving murders in regions and individual countries are inequality, unemployment, lack of educational attainment, political instability, absence of the rule of law, age, gender and organized crime
  • In order to have a chance at meeting its goal for reducing homicides by 2030, is “devoting more attention to combating organized crime.”
  • Since the start of the 21st century, organized crime has resulted in roughly the same number of killings as all armed conflicts across the world combined, moreover, just like armed conflicts, organized crime destabilizes countries, undermines socioeconomic development and erodes the rule of law. Unfortunately, the financial resources and political attention currently devoted to this problem at the international level are inadequate.
  • From 2000 to 2017, organized crime killings claimed the lives of about 1 million people
  • It is estimated that an average of roughly 65,000 killings every year were related to organized crime and (street) gangs, and that up to 19 percent of all homicides recorded globally were related to organized crime and gangs.
  • In 2017 alone, criminal acts caused many more people to die — 464,000 — than wars (89,000) and terrorist violence (26,000).
  • While homicide rates have declined in Europe and Asia over the past 30 years, rates in the “Americas” (North, Central and South America) and Africa have grown, producing a “‘violence gap’ (that) is not narrowing but actually widening further.”
  • The Americas reported 173,000 murder victims in 2017, which is 37 percent of the world’s total, even though the area includes only 13 percent of the global population. Further, the murder rate of 17.2 deaths per 100,000 people in the Americas for the year was the highest recorded since 1990.
  • Brazil (my country btw) specifically endures the highest number of killings, 58,000 in 2015 alone, than all other countries in Latin America. One factor is the prevalence of criminal street gangs there, the U.N. agency said.
  • 98 percent of the world’s gang-related homicides between 2005 and 2017 happened in just 12 nations located in the Western Hemisphere.

Source: United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime

10 Likes

I couldn’t agree more.

6 Likes

I–
okay… i think i’m done :flushed:

6 Likes

lmao and this :sob: People just genuinely don’t care.

7 Likes

What I think the issue here is they are writing mafia stories wrong, and they aren’t saying to not write them but write them correctly and accurately.

Like there isn’t cute little romance involved when dealing with mafias. They are CRIMINALS. There
certainly isn’t going to be happily ever after when dealing with mobsters. Seriously though, there’s plenty of romance and happily ever after stories here. You have a good selection of those.

11 Likes

ladies and gentlmen, and anyone of whatever gender they identify as, the rates of triggers and trama of these people in the community has droppped to 0% thanks to Some_Kid :sunglasses:

10 Likes