Overlay and background size

Hi.

So I have a scene at the graveyard and I want the MC to be fading while the others shall be seen normally. I already read Dara’s thread and I just watched Joseph Evans video on YT but the overlay I made (out of the background) doesn’t want to match the background 100%. I swear I’m going crazy… Is there anything I can do? I changed the overlay opacity to 0.8 so it would be easier but it doesn’t help at all :woman_facepalming:t3:
I scale and move it but there are always some spots where it matches and other spots that don’t.

I’d be so glad if anyone could help :see_no_evil::heart_eyes:

Ps: I also reviewed it on my laptop as well as on my phone but both is identical.

2 Likes

If you tell me what background it is, I could try make the overlay for you so that it lines up :blush:

I used EXT. GRAVEYARD - DAY

That‘d be awesome! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. You didn’t tag me or reply to me so I have only just seen this :joy:

Which zone are you using?

Oh you‘re right, I just responded from my phone :smile:

So I want to show both zones but I only need zone 2 in order to make my MC fading. I don‘t know if it‘s necessary for you to make it into both zones :see_no_evil: sorry if it‘s more work for you! :heart:

1 Like

It isn’t more work, don’t worry! I’ll do both zones for you and make them the correct size so that once you have put the overlay in the scene you won’t have to resize it.

Once you’ve saved this and uploaded it as an overlay, it should work.

Overlay

Please let me know if it doesn’t work.
Also, make sure that the character you want to be transparent is behind the overlay, and the overlay is at opacity 0.5. I can type out the code for you if you are unsure.

Thank you so so sooo much!!!
I‘ll be able to try it tomorrow or on Thursday but I‘ll let you know if something doesn‘t work.
I want to give you some credits, which name can I use? :relaxed::heart:

1 Like

You are welcome, and I am sorry for the late reply. Please let me know if it doesn’t work! You don’t need to credit me, it is an episode background and all I have done is help you out. Don’t worry about it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ok I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong right now…
First: it still doesn’t seem to fit the background as an overlay even if I scale and move it - but I guess it’s because of my zoom :sweat_smile:
Second: my character shows up normal on the app but it’s fading on the web preview :joy: I’m feeling like I destroyed episode because I often read that it’s normal to be the other way but I never read that it’s possible to show up right on the web preview instead of the app :joy:

It would be sooo sweet if you could help :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Edit:

Ok third: I clicked on “Update script” and now the whole overlay is gone and nowhere to be seen :woman_facepalming:t3::joy: the scene looks normal as if there was no overlay at all and all characters are fully visible :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Damn, you seem to have a lot of script errors there :joy:

I am sorry that it doesn’t work, and if it is my fault, I am also sorry. Please can you copy and paste your script, and I will try to correct it for you?

Hey, I’m soooo sorry for my late reply but the last days have been pretty stressful :see_no_evil:

Here is my script:

EXT. GRAVEYARD - DAY with GRAVEYARD_OVERLAY

@overlay GRAVEYARD_OVERLAY shifts to -312 5
@overlay GRAVEYARD_OVERLAY scales to 1.216 1.216
@overlay GRAVEYARD_OVERLAY opacity 0.5
@overlay GRAVEYARD_OVERLAY to layer 2
@cut to zone 2

@CHASE changes into CHASE_funeral
&CHASE spot 1.172 72 -21 in zone 1 at layer 3 AND CHASE faces right AND CHASE is idle_sad_serious_loop
@FAYE changes into FAYE_funeral
&FAYE spot 1.118 122 -52 in zone 1 at layer 4 AND FAYE faces right AND FAYE is cry_sniff_sad_loop
@MOM changes into MOM_funeral
&MOM spot 1.280 262 -125 in zone 1 at layer 4 AND MOM faces left AND MOM is cry_sob_sad_loop
@DAD changes into DAD_funeral
&DAD spot 1.190 291 -14 in zone 1 at layer 3 AND DAD faces left AND DAD is idle_sad_loop

@zoom reset

@UNKNOWN moves to layer 3
@UNKNOWN spot 0.938 244 52 in zone 2 AND UNKNOWN faces left

@zoom on 269 0 to 122% in 0
&zoom on 585 143 to 155% in 3

@ARIEL moves to layer 1
&ARIEL spot 0.992 -50 10 THEN ARIEL walks to spot 0.992 149 10 in 3 AND ARIEL does it while walk_neutral
@transition fade in white in 3

@ARIEL spot 0.992 149 10 in zone 2 AND ARIEL is idle_sad_timid_loop

@speechbubble reset
@speechbubble is 154 189 to 100% with tail_top_left

ARIEL (talk_sad)
Who are you?
What am I doing here?

@ARIEL is search_neutral THEN ARIEL faces left
@ARIEL is search_neutral THEN ARIEL is react_shocked_awe
@pause for a beat

@zoom on 484 194 to 257% in 0
ARIEL (talk_unsure)
Umm… Mom? Dad?

@zoom reset
&zoom on 320 5 to 115% in 0
@cut to zone 1
@pause for 2
@cut to zone 2

@zoom reset
@zoom on 484 194 to 257% in 0
ARIEL (talk_confused_mindblown)
|animation:shake , bold , shadow:red|Faye?? Chase???

@zoom reset
&zoom on 320 5 to 115% in 0
@cut to zone 1
@pause for 2
&zoom on 553 179 to 179% in 0
@cut to zone 2

@ARIEL faces right

@pause for a beat

ARIEL (talk_afraid)
Ok what is going on here?!

ARIEL (talk_argument_angry)
Why are my parents and my best friends standing over there?
    ARIEL (talk_argument_angry)
This is a damn | bold , color:red , underline , animation:flash |graveyard!

UNKNOWN
You will understand as soon as possible.
But for now we need to go.

@pause for 1

&UNKNOWN is raisehand_neutral AND ARIEL is react_startled_surprised

It’d be so so nice if you could correct it for me, thank you so much. But don’t stress - take your time! :heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Don’t worry about replying late. I am always here when you need my help! I think the problem is:

At the start of your scene, you have written:

@overlay GRAVEYARD_OVERLAY shifts to -312 5
@overlay GRAVEYARD_OVERLAY scales to 1.216 1.216

When you do not need to. The screenshot that I sent you of the graveyard should fit the scene as it is without you having to resize or shift it (unless I have done it wrong lmao). You should get rid of that and preview it again to see if that fixes the background problem to begin with.
If you zoom into the scene at all, it should not effect the overlay at all!

You can try this first, and then I can help to fix any other issues you have.

I hope you are okay and the stress is over with soon! I am always here to talk to as well as help you with your story <3

So as you can see I did what you told me to but unfortunately it still looks like sh*t :sweat_smile::joy:
I really don’t know what I’ve done wrong and on the app it looks the same as on the screen from that screenshot :frowning:

1 Like

If you want you can use my coding I made for someone but you would need to upload my overlay, it might not work with yours and don’t change size while uploading :slight_smile:

EXT. GRAVEYARD - DAY with GRAVEYARD OL to 1.341 -318 1 in zone 2 at layer 2
&overlay GRAVEYARD OL opacity 0.55

1 Like

I am so sorry for the late reply! @Apes has kindly helped you and sent a different overlay for you to use, so you can try that one instead.

1 Like

Thank you for helping out :blush:

1 Like

It worked!!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
Thank you so much Apes :heart:

And thank you so much @MackenzieWritesIG for your time and help, you are a real sweetheart! :heart_eyes::kissing_heart::heart:

2 Likes

Since you would help me if you could… I already have the next problem after the first one is solved :joy:
It’s still the same scene and I want an overlay to show up at a specific spot right after the raising hand command and the overlay should change its opacity (from transparent to completely visible) and its size.
You can imagine it like a white light “ball” transparently showing up and then becoming bigger and completely visible at the same time if you know what I mean :sweat_smile:

The overlay shows up already BUT it’s coming from the bottom left corner and it enters the scene with opacity 1 :new_moon_with_face::joy:

Here is what I got so far:

@UNKNOWN is raisehand_neutral AND ARIEL is react_startled_surprised

@overlay WHITE LIGHT_OVERLAY create
@overlay WHITE LIGHT_OVERLAY to layer 3
@overlay 5515322715078656_WHITE LIGHT_OVERLAY shifts to 77 161 in zone 2
@overlay WHITE LIGHT_OVERLAY opacity 1
@overlay 5515322715078656_WHITE LIGHT_OVERLAY scales to 0.748 0.748 in 0
&overlay 5515322715078656_WHITE LIGHT_OVERLAY shifts to -305 -310 in zone 2
@overlay 5515322715078656_WHITE LIGHT_OVERLAY scales to 3.178 3.178 in 2.5

Sorry for the late reply, but you are welcome for the help!