Overlay and Character help needed

I’m using a bunch of overlays for one scene and I need them all in a specific spot with a specific opacity as soon as the scene starts. Ive tried coding it and everything’s working except the overlays don’t go straight away as in it’ll take them a split second to go to opacity 0, and I also have a character in the scene and it takes him a split second to get on screen and not straight away

Here’s the script
(Ive already tried changing the all the “&” to “@“ and it showed the same result

Consider a transition like @transition fade in black in 1. It will give you that split second to get everything properly spotted.

Or if you want them to start at opacity 0, create them after the scene starts.

1 Like

try changing the @zoom reset to &zoom reset. if that doesn’t work then try putting all the overlay commands on the same line, and then putting that line before the zoom command. also you can add the layer command with the background name too.

your script would then look something like:

INT. BACKGROUNDNAME -DAY with OVERLAYNAMES to x.xxx xx xx at layer x

&overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 0 and overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 0 and overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 0 and CHARACTER spot x.xxx xx x in zone x

&zoom reset

and so on and so on… that was just my example you’ll have to change everything according to your overlay names and etc, let me know if you have anymore questions or if it doesn’t work!

I tested it for two overlays and it’s saying it’s not a proper command did I do it correctly?

I would use the create way but I find it so much easier to spot using the overlays with background way

And my story doesn’t use transitions when fading in so sadly I cant put that :((

yeah, my bad i forgot to include something it would be &overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 0

i’d forgotten to include the word “overlay” in front of the overlay name.

thank you so much it’s worked! i’m so grateful and happy thank youuuuuu you’re a life saver

1 Like

You can also try adding the layer to the background (at layer x)

no problem! glad it worked (:

hey i know this was a week ago but it’s done the same thing again :(( it worked last time i previewed it but when i tried playing through it it’s done it again. one overlay appears in front of the character for a split second before moving behind him and a bunch take some seconds to hide

can you please paste here your script instead of posting print screen?

In general if all have to happen in one moment it should be with & and not @

If overlay should be visible from the start its OK to write it next to the BG
But or overlays that should be from start invisible I personally would go for using create command - since written next to BG it start s visible but with the create it starts as invisible.

INT. OFFICE ROOM with TABLE 3 to 0.794 27 70 in zone 2 with LAPTOP GAME to 0.270 -9 149 with PLANT to 0.173 -11 199 with CHAIR to 0.449 -190 6 with BLACK TABLE to 0.986 -75 74 with TV MARIO to 0.449 218 315 with SPONGEBOB to 0.301 -28 343 with NEED 1 to 0.270 -9 149 with NEED 2 to 0.270 -9 149 with BLACK SQUARE to 0.213 123 218 with MOUSE to 0.011 112 241 with TIE UP AD to 0.156 87 181 with BLACK SQUARE 1 to 0.353 114 215 with BLINDFOLD to 0.025 130 241

&overlay BLACK SQUARE opacity 0 AND overlay BLINDFOLD opacity 0 AND overlay BLACK SQUARE 1 opacity 0 AND overlay TIE UP AD opacity 0 AND overlay TIE UP AD moves to layer 68 AND overlay BLACK SQUARE 1 moves to layer 65 AND overlay LAPTOP GAME moves to layer 27 AND overlay MOUSE opacity 0 AND overlay NEED 1 opacity 0 AND overlay NEED 2 opacity 0 AND overlay BLACK TABLE moves to layer 1 AND overlay PLANT moves to layer 26 AND overlay CHAIR moves to layer 27 AND overlay SPONGEBOB moves to layer -1 AND overlay TABLE 3 moves to layer 28 AND overlay TV MARIO moves to layer 103 AND DANIEL moves to layer 27 AND NATHAN spot 1.280 389 48 in zone 2 AND NATHAN moves to layer 121 AND DANIEL spot 1.081 47 123 AND DANIEL is idle_sit_neutral_loop_rear AND DANIEL faces left

&zoom reset

@pause for 1.5

@zoom on 0 151 to 166% in 1.2 using easeout

DANIEL
(Dangg he's about to win the cup!)

DANIEL
GO ON! ONE LAST HIT!

OK if the problem is only with the layers - when you write overlay next to the background you can set the layer there too

example:

with BLACK SQUARE to 0.213 123 218 in zone 1 at layer 65

this way it will be on the layer from the start.

Also honestly I don’t get why people advise making these long lines using AND since it is so hard to find mistakes there and the absolutely same effect you will get if you will have separate lines with & :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

if you will experience problems with opacity - that the overlays that should be transparent on the start blink there for short before they get transparent then I would recomand to not write this overlay next to BG but use the
&overlay NAME create method (all lines with &)

1 Like

hmm that’s weird, try this format to see if it works any better:

INT. OFFICE ROOM with TABLE 3 to 0.794 27 70 in zone 2 at layer 28 with LAPTOP GAME to 0.270 -9 149 at layer 27 with PLANT to 0.173 -11 199 at layer 26 with CHAIR to 0.449 -190 6 at layer 27 with BLACK TABLE to 0.986 -75 74 at layer 1 with TV MARIO to 0.449 218 315 at layer 103 with SPONGEBOB to 0.301 -28 343 at layer -1 with NEED 1 to 0.270 -9 149 with NEED 2 to 0.270 -9 149 with BLACK SQUARE to 0.213 123 218 with MOUSE to 0.011 112 241 with TIE UP AD to 0.156 87 181 at layer 68 with BLACK SQUARE 1 to 0.353 114 215 at layer 65 with BLINDFOLD to 0.025 130 241

&overlay BLACK SQUARE opacity 0 in 0
&overlay BLINDFOLD opacity 0 in 0
&overlay BLACK SQUARE 1 opacity 0 in 0
&overlay TIE UP AD opacity 0 in 0
&overlay MOUSE opacity 0 in 0
&overlay NEED 1 opacity 0 in 0
&overlay NEED 2 opacity 0 in 0

&DANIEL moves to layer 27
&NATHAN spot 1.280 389 48 in zone 2 at layer 121 AND DANIEL spot 1.081 47 123 AND DANIEL is idle_sit_neutral_loop_rear AND DANIEL faces left

&zoom reset

@pause for 1.5

@zoom on 0 151 to 166% in 1.2 using easeout

i moved all your layer commands next to the background name so you shouldn’t have any issues with those and i also separated your opacity commands to see if it’d work any better. if this way doesn’t work then i’d suggest doing what she suggested which is to add your overlays in the regular format of:
INT . BACKGROUNDNAME - DAY
&overlay OVERLAYNAME create and overlay OVERLAYNAME shifts to xxx xx and overlay OVERLAYNAME scales to xxxx xxxx

when you use that format the overlays already start off at opacity 1 and you’d have to use a command like @overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 1 to make them appear when you want!

1 Like

both solutions from you and viv worked! i copied the script viv sent and i did as you suggested and added the layers to all the overlays and now it’s perfect, thank you so much :))

1 Like

it worked! i copied your script and added some tips farah suggested and the two worked amazingly <3 thank you guys you’ve fixed such a huge issue for me it was bugging me so much

2 Likes

no problem!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.