Overlay & Character Not Shifting Together

I don’t know why I am having problems with shifting an overlay while the character is moving at the same exact time. Idk if I am coding something wrong, but here’s my code:

INT. TEAL BEDROOM ELZBIET - DAY
@cut to zone 3 AND zoom on 799 346 to 173% in 0
@NORLANI spot 1.280 400 -8 in zone 3 at layer 3 AND NORLANI faces right
@NORLANI walks to spot 1.280 165 -8
@NORLANI spot 1.280 165 -8 in zone 3 at layer 3 AND NORLANI faces right
&zoom reset

&overlay BLUE LIVING ROOM create
&overlay BLUE LIVING ROOM moves to layer 2
&overlay BLUE LIVING ROOM shifts to 161 5 in zone 3
&overlay BLUE LIVING ROOM opacity 1

&NORLANI spot 1.280 94 -7 in zone 3
&NORLANI moves to layer 3
&NORLANI faces right
&NORLANI is listen_phone_sigh

&CARMELLA spot 1.280 241 -10 in zone 3
&CARMELLA moves to layer 3
&CARMELLA faces left
@CARMELLA is listen_phone_confused

&CARMELLA walks to spot 1.280 241 -10 in zone 3 in 3 AND CARMELLA faces left AND CARMELLA does it while listen_phone_confused THEN CARMELLA is listen_phone_confused
@overlay BLUE LIVING ROOM shifts to 161 5 in zone 3 in 3

Change this ^

to…

&CARMELLA walks to spot 1.280 241 -10 in zone 3 in 3 AND CARMELLA faces left AND CARMELLA does it while listen_phone_confused
@overlay BLUE LIVING ROOM shifts to 161 5 in zone 3 in 3 THEN CARMELLA is listen_phone_confused

This would also work…

@CARMELLA walks to spot 1.280 241 -10 in zone 3 in 3 AND CARMELLA faces left AND CARMELLA does it while listen_phone_confused and overlay BLUE LIVING ROOM shifts to 161 5 in zone 3 in 3 THEN CARMELLA is listen_phone_confused
1 Like

I tried both of those codes and it still didn’t really work because they overlay and the character didn’t move.

It appears that you placed her in that spot in the code before. I’d either cut that out or change the start position.

What do you mean?

In simple terms, say you wanted “CHAR” to stand screen right and move to screen left at the same time an overlay moved. You’d have a pre-moving spot (screen right), and a final destination (screen left). In your example, it appears those are the same. If CARMELLA is offscreen at spot 1.28 241 -10, you’ll want to spot her to walk on screen somewhere in 3 seconds (in other words, just change the x coordinate—the second number).

If she’s onscreen at spot 1.28 241 -10, you’ll want to change the x coordinate (second number) to have CARMELLA offscreen.

Oh okay. So it would be this instead:

&CARMELLA spot 1.280 400 -10 in zone 3
&CARMELLA moves to layer 3
&CARMELLA faces left
@CARMELLA is listen_phone_confused

Also, the character moved but the overlay didn’t.

You are positioning the overlay at the spot it’s supposed to shift to. Like the character first place the overlay outside the frame and then use the shifts to # command.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.